Dorado's 150g cube build

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 13 year hiatus from the hobby due to multiple moves, getting married and two kids, I'm ready to dip my toes back in. This tank won't be as massive as my last tank, a leemar 300g, but I'm extremely excited non the less. A lot has changed over the years and I feel like I am picking up from scratch, but I'm doing a lot of reading and trying to catch back up.

Tank description:
Custom 36"x36"x26" made by Crystal Dynamic Aquariums. I ordered it a couple weeks go and still have several more to go. Starphire glass on 3 sides. CDA is also making the stand with a steel frame and canopy.

The tank with be predominantly SPS with a few LPS and zoas on the bottom

Planned equipment(subject to change)
-Reef Octopus Regal 200SSS
-2xEcotech Radion XR30 G5 Pros
-2xEcotech Vortech MP40QD
-COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump
-Neptune Systems Apex Controller System
-Neptune Systems ATK V2 Auto Top Off kit
-2x Eheim 150W Jager Heaters
-Trigger Systems Sapphire Sump 34x15x15

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wait for my tank to be made, I figured that I could get the ball rolling by making a water mixing and top off station. The mixing station is going to go in my garage on the other side of the wall that the tank will be on. I'll have a line going from the RO container into the display via the Neptune auto top off kit. I'm also going to run a small pump from the bottom of the salt water container into the display to make water changes a little easier. Space is a little tight in my garage since I've "man caved it out", so the water containers are going to be small, a 15 gallon fresh water and 20 gallon salt water. Just enough for a 10% water change. I'm also going to build a cabinet around it so that I can put a small quarantine tank on top. Below are a couple of sketches showing what I'm planning.
IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is the future location of the display tank along with the location of the water mixing station.
IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

My first shipment of aquarium supplies showed up along with my water containers. I also ordered my dry rock so that I can get that curing while I wait for my tank.

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dry rock came in the other day. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the marco rock but what did I expect? I tried my hand at doing some dry scaping which turned out to be very difficult. This is the best I could come up with, thoughts anyone?
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank and stand FINALLY arrived and I couldn't be happier. It looks great and I am so happy with the dimensions. Now it's time to get started plumbing.
IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back