DOS Repair

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replace the hose and zip ties. I find the hose has to be just the right length, any shorter or longer will cause a quick failure of the hoses.
I can understand the hoses wearing out over time, but not so much the white plastic frame, rollers and especially the orange cover. I'm wondering why Neptune sales that whole setup instead of just the wearable part?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore do you have a picture of the GHL motors? Or do you remember if they were the same the DOS uses?
It was the GHL regular doser not the maxi. It’s the maxi that appears to use the same heads (blue rather than orange). I swapped out one motor on the GHL doser and still have one left in the package. Happy to take a picture of it. Do not know if it’s common across the two GHL models or if it’s the same as the DOS though, sorry.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the GHL regular doser not the maxi. It’s the maxi that appears to use the same heads (blue rather than orange). I swapped out one motor on the GHL doser and still have one left in the package. Happy to take a picture of it. Do not know if it’s common across the two GHL models or if it’s the same as the DOS though, sorry.

No I have a spare motor of the doser 2.1, definitely different motor than the Maxi

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured.

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2mk to get back on track with your particular issue, it sounds to me like the pump head is causing the stalling, can you post pictures from a few angles of your pump head? If you swap the pump heads, do both work fine, or does the "bad" pump head cause the opposite motor to stall? It would be pretty unlikely that the motor driver would function enough to turn the motor without load, but not pass enough current to drive a load.

Ryan Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the HSP-24-250-NPT-4-T-PO is the correct stepper motor and is a direct bolt in with the DOS. I had similar stalling issues last year and do to cost of repair with Neptune decided to replace the motor myself. As pointed out the only difference is the 4 roller head vs the two. In my case I elected to keep things stock and swapped the original head assembly from the DOS onto the new motor.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the HSP-24-250-NPT-4-T-PO is the correct stepper motor and is a direct bolt in with the DOS. I had similar stalling issues last year and do to cost of repair with Neptune decided to replace the motor myself. As pointed out the only difference is the 4 roller head vs the two. In my case I elected to keep things stock and swapped the original head assembly from the DOS onto the new motor.

Like many others one of my DOS motors failed. I see the motor on Aliexpress, but did you really pay $61.33 for shipping?

wccbr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that I'm resurrecting this thread but it is related. My DOS just started doing the same this as described here. The right hand head started making what I would call a "buzzing" noise while the left hand head continued to operate. Once the unit completed its cycle, the left hand head stopped as it should and the right hand head continued to make the terrible noise. I dismantled and removed the stepper motor and then came to check the forums to see if anyone had tracked down a replacement motor. My DOS was used for a few years and then sat idle for a couple years as I got tired of the cheap orange housing breaking where the rollers pushed the tube up against it. I decided to restart it yesterday for auto water changes again but it only ran for less than 24 hours. I've always really liked the premise of the DOS for AWC but I've been really disappointed in the build quality of the cheap orange head.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back