Dose Hydrogen Peroxide direct to your display tank

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be information that was useable if you specified details of your dosing. I dosed a 120G tank that was 3 years mature with 1ml per gallon of 3% peroxide for 7 days.
Cynobacteria was eliminated as were a healthy population of amphipods & copepod. Micro stars, spaghetti worms, Bryozone, macro algae and GHA survived and thrived.
I dosed my 7 yr old system that had tons of pods. After 2 weeks at 3% and 1ml per 10g in a 300g system not a pod could be found.

Last edited:

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be information that was useable if you specified details of your dosing. I dosed a 120G tank that was 3 years mature with 1ml per gallon of 3% peroxide for 7 days.

Cynobacteria was eliminated as were a healthy population of amphipods & copepod. Micro stars, spaghetti worms, Bryozone, macro algae and GHA survived and thrived.

Peroxide is not a magic cure for inadequate maintenance. It should be used with discretion and not indiscriminately.

Oxidators have refined 24/7 peroxide use.

[Shrimps, copepods and some other animals are easily killed by peroxide. And they are essential to keep the live rock in order. So if You want to use it against algae take out some rocks and store them in another tank so You can add those critters later on.]

@Stigigemla
Thank you for the above note.

It's 45g tank with sump and I'm dosing 3ml spread into two doses in the evening using 3% food grade hp.

As I understand all this does is raise the redox potential which helps oxidize organics.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see what could cause the issue unless your hp had some traces of copper or arsenic in it.

What type did you use?

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peroxide is not a magic cure for inadequate maintenance. It should be used with discretion and not indiscriminately.

[Shrimps, copepods and some other animals are easily killed by peroxide. And they are essential to keep the live rock in order. So if You want to use it against algae take out some rocks and store them in another tank so You can add those critters later on.]

@Stigigemla
Thank you for the above note.

I'd like to add that this appears to have eliminated my dino problem, it's all been great so far. I will probably turn off dosing here soon.

I think the biggest issue here is it's hard to say what is actually in the bottle of peroxide unless there is a lab analysis on it, it seems too easy for this to have some traces of other things which would be perfectly fine for most uses but cause problems long term in a reef tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 45g tank with sump and I'm dosing 3ml spread into two doses in the evening using 3% food grade hp.

As I understand all this does is raise the redox potential which helps oxidize organics.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see what could cause the issue unless your hp had some traces of copper or arsenic in it.

What type did you use?

Dosage rate is critical. The OP & I both dosed 1ml/10G.
In my 120G tank that amounted to 100ml. In your system of approximately 50G, you dosed 3ml which is 40% below the 1ml/10G

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the forth thread in less than 10 days on perixide use.

I have used peroxide for spot treatment in tank and out of tank as both spot treatment & dip for 10yrs.

Two weeks ago, I dosed in tank 3% peroxide for 1 week. Results were mixed. Because I focus on micro fauna & fana, I will not jeopardize the janitors again. I will continue using needle & toothbrush for in tank treatment.

Even with comparable dose rate concentrations, each system will have a different biological demand on peroxide.

Last edited:

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Stigigemla
Thank you for the above

Peroxide is a magic cure, it literally fixed all of my issues, I have so many pods at this point in when the lights come on in the morning I actually have a marine snow of pods blowing around.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you using a needle?

TIA

Nuisance Aptasia retreating into internal holes.

when treating outside of tank as a dip, I soak 10 minutes with a 10% solution of 3% peroxide, this includes dipping coral, I don’t own SPS.

The same slime coat that protects corals protects Aptasia. So, even on outside of tank, peroxide and toothbrush get it done.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide works to some extent when applied to small areas with the pumps all off but its just a band-aide at best

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back