Dragon soul favia ripped mouth

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 3 weeks ago my corals were fed concentrated phytoplankton and had an adverse reaction. (I know, stupid experiment). The result was my euphilia dropped a couple tentacle ends for a week qnd cant be feed Reed roids without throwing up its guts, my war coral frag now has a sizable chunk missing from the center (recovering and growing over it currently) and my dragon soul favia had a noticeable strip missing that seems to have taken part of the mouth. I know favia like to feed qnd will typically only grow when fed but im cautious of having it try to eat and making things worse. My question is "is anyone familiar with favia regeneration?" Should I attempt to keep feeding and are their any signs I should look for to know if its developing tissue?

Again the accident happened about 3 weeks ago so it doesn't look like its getting worse.
15997941873295118872957912725828.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there a nearby coral could have stung it?
Check under any Nudibranchs or black bugs

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a nearby coral could have stung it?
Check under any Nudibranchs or black bugs
Oh no, I know its because of target feeding the wrong stuff. Im.just trying to figure out whats the best way to move forward so I can get it back to eating and hopefully growing one day.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 3 weeks ago my corals were fed concentrated phytoplankton and had an adverse reaction. (I know, stupid experiment). The result was my euphilia dropped a couple tentacle ends for a week qnd cant be feed Reed roids without throwing up its guts, my war coral frag now has a sizable chunk missing from the center (recovering and growing over it currently) and my dragon soul favia had a noticeable strip missing that seems to have taken part of the mouth. I know favia like to feed qnd will typically only grow when fed but im cautious of having it try to eat and making things worse. My question is "is anyone familiar with favia regeneration?" Should I attempt to keep feeding and are their any signs I should look for to know if its developing tissue?

Again the accident happened about 3 weeks ago so it doesn't look like its getting worse.
15997941873295118872957912725828.jpg
Interesting and sorry this happened. I feed phyto paste to the tank and never had an issue like this. Did you mix it with rodi? Did it smell rotten? Just curious what happened. Ive had all of these coral grow back if damaged never specificly fed but they do catch a brine or similar here and there. You could always place something small like a single brine on the favia and see if it take it. Signs of growth arnt really great for these ime yhey basically just poof up and look bigger and bigger. Sorry i know thats not really helpful lol.

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and sorry this happened. I feed phyto paste to the tank and never had an issue like this. Did you mix it with rodi? Did it smell rotten? Just curious what happened. Ive had all of these coral grow back if damaged never specificly fed but they do catch a brine or similar here and there. You could always place something small like a single brine on the favia and see if it take it. Signs of growth arnt really great for these ime yhey basically just poof up and look bigger and bigger. Sorry i know thats not really helpful lol.
I believe it was rotten. Either way I threw the bottle in the trash and the next day when I saw the full effects lol. I always use tank water for mixing foods and that was the first time feeding it something besides reef roids which always got a response from it. And just getting reassurance that it will recover is good enough. Im just going to dread worry about it until I see signs of recovery which will be like watching paint dry.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was rotten. Either way I threw the bottle in the trash and the next day when I saw the full effects lol. I always use tank water for mixing foods and that was the first time feeding it something besides reef roids which always got a response from it. And just getting reassurance that it will recover is good enough. Im just going to dread worry about it until I see signs of recovery which will be like watching paint dry.
That would make sense i was basically wondering if you dosed straight paste or did an oops and mixed with chlorinated water etc as the result seems pretty drastic. ime if its rotten it will smell sour instead of herby if you arnt turned off for ever just smell it a bit first. Sry, the favia family grows very slow (sure you know from the comment) lol. But, i auctually had one grow on what i thought was a dead skeleton on my lr. It took the better part of 3years to be something i could auctually see but its basically a favia that grew from what appeared to be a skeleton so they can come back. Now, euphyllia dropped tentacles their basically dead... Lol jk the euphyllia will likey be fine in a week or two if everything else is fine.

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense i was basically wondering if you dosed straight paste or did an oops and mixed with chlorinated water etc as the result seems pretty drastic. ime if its rotten it will smell sour instead of herby if you arnt turned off for ever just smell it a bit first. Sry, the favia family grows very slow (sure you know from the comment) lol. But, i auctually had one grow on what i thought was a dead skeleton on my lr. It took the better part of 3years to be something i could auctually see but its basically a favia that grew from what appeared to be a skeleton so they can come back. Now, euphyllia dropped tentacles their basically dead... Lol jk the euphyllia will likey be fine in a week or two if everything else is fine.
That sounds awesome. Do you have a pic of the favia? And yeah my euphyllia has been growing new tentacles and puffs up to about 80% so im not too worried about it, just no target feedinf for a month or 2.

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that your flow is not at the damaged area, this is my rescue, 6 months with me now, it got cuddled by a pink tube nem at my lfs, still recovering. :)

DSC_0001 (1024x683).jpg
That. Looks. Beautiful! How many heads did it come with and has there been any new ones?

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating in case someone stimbles on to this thread. The tear has healed and its working its way back to being round. It seems neon yellow is taking over once it heals too.

20200926_160043.jpg

OP
OP
Firefenex

Firefenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still just q polyp but its very large now. Idk if its due to extension but the yellow has faded a lot. Could be the lighting but its happy otherwise
16091116294001019424062193505600.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back