LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM BACK! Late 2020 I sold my home and tank in NY and moved at VA in search for a better life. I don't have many hobbies so Ive been counting the days until I could get another tank. Through my reefing career I've had a 150, 50, and 29 Gallon reef tank each one was better than the last but had their fair share of mistakes. Ive learned from all those mistakes and will be beginning my dream build. This is going to be a drawn out thread as the tank will be in a new build home and we are about a month out from breaking ground.

The Home:
My new home is going to be a 2400 SQ foot ranch on a crawl space. It will feature 16 FT cathedral ceilings and an open concept floor plan. I have the tank location picked out, it's going to be next to the sliding glass door between the living room and dining room.
Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 22.14.26.png

As you can see I marked the tank location In red. The floor below is going to be reenforced to support 3000LBS so we won't have any issues on that front. Ive always wanted a fish room, but unfortunately our budget did not allow for one.

The Tank:
Right now I most likely am going to get a @Waterbox Aquariums or A Cade Aquarium. My ideal size will be in the 120 Gal range and be a peninsula style tank. It's going to be a mixed reef and Im still deciding on equipment.

Im open to all suggestions and comments, like I said this going to be a long thread before I even order the tank but I wanted to document the entire process from start to finish including construction. Its great to be back and I value every single one of you and your opinions/ advice!

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not too much sun through that sliding window to cause algae problems, and or off light schedules. But sounds like a sweet build.
Yes I've thought about that, there's a sliding glass door on one side and a window on the other. I got the wife to agree to shades/ curtains if it becomes a problem. I also plan on running an algae scrubber to hopefully keep things on the right track. If my math is correct that side of the house would only get direct sun for a few hours in the morning!

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any input on well water? This will be my first tank with well water and I’m not to sure what to expect?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long time friend I grew up with that had an (irritatingly) beautiful tank ran on well water. He did {nothing} "right" - infrequent water changes, topped off with unfiltered well water, etc., and his tank was beautiful. His tank was the reason I even exist in this hobby - but a nasty divorce has taken him out.

I would say well water is so variable from place to place that it would be hard to say with any confidence what you "need" to do. I personally would start with getting a sample of the water and test it for what is actually in it. My brother runs RO/DI on his well water and has no issues on freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more updates ! I got a look at the spot the tank will go. You can see where the floor is going to be reenforced.

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 35

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back