Drilling a tank inside

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope most scrap glass is recycled, very energy intensive to produce, easy to remelt.
Unfortuntely it is not convenient or feasible for most glass companies to recycle. I have worked for 3 and it all goes in the trash :rolleyes:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled mine and have the Eshopps over flow. It’s a Marineland 75 gallon from petsmart. Just make sure it’s not tempered glass. You can drill tempered glass because it will shatter. Check and see if manufacturer of tank has that info. I keep hose on while drilling glass.

C4975098-B595-4EFD-B11E-443545F4C136.jpeg 27EAFFD0-6773-4A58-B377-F349A900C827.jpeg
Great point on the tempered glass. You should not attempt to drill tempered glass but if you do make sure your recording and post the video here!

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point on the tempered glass. You should not attempt to drill tempered glass but if you do make sure your recording and post the video here!
I will make sure it isn’t tempered, thank you for reminding me to do that.
My parents just told me that they very enthusiastic about the idea of drilling it, so unless something changes there, it looks like an hob might actually be my only option.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will make sure it isn’t tempered, thank you for reminding me to do that.
My parents just told me that they very enthusiastic about the idea of drilling it, so unless something changes there, it looks like an hob might actually be my only option.
Maybe not bad advice if not familiar with power tools. As some more sage than me have suggested, perhaps prove your skills first, then execute. Not drilling risks siphon failure and saltwater damage.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not drilling risks siphon failure and saltwater damage.
There are risks either way.

Plumbing and bulkheads can leak on a drilled tank.

Hob losing syphon is a disaster (I've been there more times than I would like to mention). But a quality hob overflow is very safe

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help. After careful consideration and talking to my parents, we decided that an hob overflow would be the best option. They really didn’t like the idea of me drilling the tank.
I do still have one more question. Is it safe for me to drill a hole in the back of an eshopps overflow box so that I can have three drains for a modified bean animal type setup? I’ve seen it done before, but I wasn’t sure how good of an idea it really is.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help. After careful consideration and talking to my parents, we decided that an hob overflow would be the best option. They really didn’t like the idea of me drilling the tank.
I do still have one more question. Is it safe for me to drill a hole in the back of an eshopps overflow box so that I can have three drains for a modified bean animal type setup? I’ve seen it done before, but I wasn’t sure how good of an idea it really is.
Yes, I drilled my hob eschoppes with a hole saw for bulkhead.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate a little bit on the drill bit you used? Thanks for the input.
Drilling in acrylic is easier, and different than glass.
There's a pilot bit, once that breaks thru stop pressure and ease the aggressive toothed hole saw to the surface, otherwise it will grab/bind acrylic. These are woodworking saws.

Get the size bit you need for the bulkhead you are using.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling in acrylic is easier, and different than glass.
There's a pilot bit, once that breaks thru stop pressure and ease the aggressive toothed hole saw to the surface, otherwise it will grab/bind acrylic. These are woodworking saws.

Get the size bit you need for the bulkhead you are using.
Thank you very much for the help!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate a little bit on the drill bit you used? Thanks for the input.
I agree with @Pistondog on a lot of stuff, but the hole saws I am sorry to say I disagree with him. Those wood bits suck to drill with in acrylic. You can run the drill backwards and that helps but ... a better choice IMO is the diamond saws that you would have used on your glass these are much easier to use and make a cleaner cut. I cut a hole for a bulkhead on my acrylic sump and it was so nice to cut the hole. It came out really clean. Arghhh I really hate those wood saw bits.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Pistondog on a lot of stuff, but the hole saws I am sorry to say I disagree with him. Those wood bits suck to drill with in acrylic. You can run the drill backwards and that helps but ... a better choice IMO is the diamond saws that you would have used on your glass these are much easier to use and make a cleaner cut. I cut a hole for a bulkhead on my acrylic sump and it was so nice to cut the hole. It came out really clean. Arghhh I really hate those wood saw bits.
I did not try the diamond saws as I had these on hand, tried on scrap acrylic 1st. Also thought the plastic would just build up on the diamond saw and clog it.
If you've done it with success, super. Good to know that works too.
I wonder how the metal, finer bladed saws would work.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not try the diamond saws as I had these on hand, tried on scrap acrylic 1st. Also thought the plastic would just build up on the diamond saw and clog it.
If you've done it with success, super. Good to know that works too.
I wonder how the metal, finer bladed saws would work.
They do clog up and you need to pull them and blow them out, but on 1/4" it isn't a big deal. I think I blew mine out twice and was through it in a minute or so.

You also need to make sure that the blade doesn't over heat, but tbh you need to worry about that with the other saws, and if you are pulling and cleaning no problem.

I have tried a bunch of different saws they all bind on the forward cut. The worst things is if you don't catch it will crack the acrylic, especially on the thinner acrylics. I have done that more times than I care recount.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do clog up and you need to pull them and blow them out, but on 1/4" it isn't a big deal. I think I blew mine out twice and was through it in a minute or so.

You also need to make sure that the blade doesn't over heat, but tbh you need to worry about that with the other saws, and if you are pulling and cleaning no problem.

I have tried a bunch of different saws they all bind on the forward cut. The worst things is if you don't catch it will crack the acrylic, especially on the thinner acrylics. I have done that more times than I care recount.
Is there any way to make sure it won’t catch the acrylic? I would hate to break my overflow box and I’m not a skillful driller, so I could easily see it happening.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to make sure it won’t catch the acrylic? I would hate to break my overflow box and I’m not a skillful driller, so I could easily see it happening.
No, and that is why I suggest that you use the diamond hole saws and not the metal/wood saws. If you can see the link then it is these.

EDIT: You will also need to drill a template for these as they have no pilot bit. TBH the pilot bits pull to fast and if you run them reverse wander terribly. Better to build the template to get it right.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and that is why I suggest that you use the diamond hole saws and not the metal/wood saws. If you can see the link then it is these.

EDIT: You will also need to drill a template for these as they have no pilot bit. TBH the pilot bits pull to fast and if you run them reverse wander terribly. Better to build the template to get it right.

Yes, I will certainly still build a template. There’s no point in not doing something that simple that could prevent leaks later. Thank you so much for all the help.

Learning2Reef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine 2nd hand and I believe mine is the same as yours. I believe there is sticker for the bottom panel glass which is tempered. So obviously you drilled the back was there any problems?

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled a cheap 5gallon using a 1-3/8” corebit from work. (Granite countertop installation). It was kinda spooky on 3/32 glass but wasn’t too bad. I predrilled a piece of wood for a template then sandwiched the glass between two pieces of wood. Turned on the grinder and let er rip. I cut straight at the slowest setting and let the bit do the work, understanding that if you push at all you’re pushing against weakened glass. Had my wife slowly squirt water on the bit while drilling and went straight through in a minute.

Learning2Reef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled mine and have the Eshopps over flow. It’s a Marineland 75 gallon from petsmart. Just make sure it’s not tempered glass. You can drill tempered glass because it will shatter. Check and see if manufacturer of tank has that info. I keep hose on while drilling glass.

C4975098-B595-4EFD-B11E-443545F4C136.jpeg 27EAFFD0-6773-4A58-B377-F349A900C827.jpeg
How difficult was it to drill the holes? And did your eshopps overflow box come with a drill?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back