"Dry live rock"

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at the carib sea moani "dry live rock" stuff for my tank and I kind of like it. My only concern would be that "dry live rock" like pukani etc. from what I've heard can leech a lot of organics, nitrogen and phosphorus into the tank. I was just wondering if anyone has used this before, and would be able to share their thoughts on it? This looks a bit different than pukani etc but I still wanted to double check, about the organics thing.
Normally I'd just go with marco, but I honestly prefer the coloration of this over marco, not to mention its actually CHEAPER and has spored bacteria apparently.
Any advice would be appreciated

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure caribsea's dry life rock is standard dry rock (the white rocks you see at LFS) with their special coating applied.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure caribsea's dry life rock is standard dry rock (the white rocks you see at LFS) with their special coating applied.
yea but thats their liferock the purple kind (thats just painted yea), this looks different and looks like the "dry live rock" like this

Pred24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Moani rocks in my two tanks to set them up my only issue with them was the size of the rocks but overall never had issues with leaking organics or anything else if anything it helped speed up the cycling process

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Moani rocks in my two tanks to set them up my only issue with them was the size of the rocks but overall never had issues with leaking organics or anything else if anything it helped speed up the cycling process
thats great, I just bought 2 boxes yesterday, started scaping

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the description on BRS link. The link you sent says it comes from the ocean. There is also a link on that page to the not live dry

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan. I have some of it in my tank. It’s not very porous. Also, I’d be more concerned with it sponging up phosphates than leaching them (mine has soaked up so much phosphate). It also looks unnatural to me. Personally, I’ll never use dry rock again, IMO real live rock is better in every way and is well worth the price.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off if its Dry its not Live. those two terms just don't go together when talking about rock in Salt water tank. If you are going to go with Dry rock I would suggest getting at least a small amount of actual Live Rock from one of the Florida sellers to get good biodiversity in the tank.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off if its Dry its not Live. those two terms just don't go together when talking about rock in Salt water tank. If you are going to go with Dry rock I would suggest getting at least a small amount of actual Live Rock from one of the Florida sellers to get good biodiversity in the tank.
Yes, this is what I did. I got mainly dry rock but a little bit of live rock.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it terrestrial rock, then it is likely bound with some amount of phosphate and organics. It is hard to know how much. In a bin with a skimmer, heated saltwater, protein skimmer and some Lanthanum Chloride, you can take care of the P in a few months... the organics just depend on how long it takes for bacteria to go through them. As the organics get removed, you expose more aragonite that could have even more bound P.

Factor in all of these costs along with some dinos and hair algae. The cost might be cheaper to buy some ocean live rock from the Gulf... even the base rock is phosphate free and has all of the good things on it that you want keep.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back