Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week's update:
Not much
20230423_183105.jpg

There are some small brownish spots developing, hair algea is growing pretty ok, and i think a sponge is starting to grow. It is kinda paleish green. Hard to tell though it is pretty small:
20230423_183431.jpg

And a side view for good measure. It is about time to clean the glass...
20230423_183041.jpg

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question to all the commenters is what was/is the ph of the tanks? Gotta keep it up there
I’m actually struggling with low pH.
And, for the past week I’ve decided to introduce a coralline accelerator in an attempt to raise pH during the photo cycle. And, though it’s been minimal at this early stage, it is gradually climbing higher during its peak each day.
And, additionally, it had been bottoming out at 7.72-7.74 by morning. But, the last two days, it’s bottomed out at 7.8 and 7.81, so fingers crossed!

Disclaimer:
I’ve also added a couple air stones to the sump at the start of the experiment.
I also used Kalkwasser during the day in previous weeks, but the nightly drop in pH just dropped faster and went lower. One night, it fell to 7.6.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i missed a week! There wasnt much, last weeks update was much the same as the week before.
This week however... there are some pink spots!
20230514_172837.jpg
20230514_172829.jpg

Kinda faint, but hopefully they take hold!

Full tank shot:
20230514_172655.jpg

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Red_Beard Any idea what the PAR value is from your AI Blade light? I know it's your experiment, but just a suggestion: after you're done cleaning the hair algae, perhaps greatly reduce your light intensity so it doesn't grow back.

I inadvertently grew more coralline while killing of all nuisance algae in my QT tank. The tank has been up for about 2 months with no light other than ambient light in the room. It was started with a rock with some coralline and hair algae, and now the rock has triple the coralline and zero hair or film algae anywhere in the tank. Notice coralline is now spreading on the plastic container as well.

It seems coralline can still thrive in very little light, unlike nuisance algae.

20230522_220559.jpg
20230522_220344.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Red_Beard Any idea what the PAR value is from your AI Blade light? I know it's your experiment, but just a suggestion: after you're done cleaning the hair algae, perhaps greatly reduce your light intensity so it doesn't grow back.

I inadvertently grew more coralline while killing of all nuisance algae in my QT tank. The tank has been up for about 2 months with no light other than ambient light in the room. It was started with a rock with some coralline and hair algae, and now the rock has triple the coralline and zero hair or film algae anywhere in the tank. Notice coralline is now spreading on the plastic container as well.

It seems coralline can still thrive in very little light, unlike nuisance algae.

20230522_220559.jpg
20230522_220344.jpg
That is a good suggestion, i have the blade at 100 royal 60 cyan and 60 white. Not sure what the PAR at that level would be, i dont have a meter. I still havent toothbrushed the algae, but i did take a powerhead and blow everything off. Most of it cleaned right up surprisingly. Just a couple little patches of hair algea still to clean.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time, not much new 'cept these sweet patches of a bluish coraline starting to take hold. It is really pretty and i really hope it spreads!
20230529_213422.jpg

Top- down fts(still dirty, had a busy week and this was de-prioritised):
20230529_213257.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time, not much new 'cept these sweet patches of a bluish coraline starting to take hold. It is really pretty and i really hope it spreads!
20230529_213422.jpg

Top- down fts(still dirty, had a busy week and this was de-prioritised):
20230529_213257.jpg
Hoping that it spreads for you as well!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has always been phosphate limited, but i think i went a little heavy handed this week in dosing. Every time ive tested it has read 0ppm, so instead of once a week i dosed a little bit every other day. That caused a bacterial mulm to coat the whole of everything. I was able to blow it all off with juat a power head, but not sure what that has done to the growth of coralline. Still there though, not much change.
1000005013.jpg

1000005014.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much change still. The splotches of pink and the ones of blue look pretty well the same as 3 weeks ago. I think i am going to call this experiment plausible, as that bottled coralline did get the tank seeded as evidenced by the small beginnings of coralline. But, with a sterile tank, nutritient management is difficult and it may be missing some of the more accessible forms of nitrogen, ie ammonia. Not sure if that or some manner of bacterial instability or a combination of those or something else entirely is the root of the slow growth, but, the bottles definitely introduced viable coralline spores. I am intending to add a cleanup crew, copepods, and maybe a fish. Let that all stew a month or two to make sure that doesnt kick off an algea explosion and transfer this all to my main display.
Let me know if you all want any pics or have any questions/ comments. Thanks for following! :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Take the best white light pics of the different coralline spots that you can. If you pull rock out and transfer that would be a good opportunity.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha think this went a little long unattended. It has been a busy. All the splotches were covered with film algae and i just moved it as is to feed the pods and tangs in my display. This is what it looks like pretty well all over
1000005837.jpg

And an fts too. This is with all moved except the little nem island, it is still in the seed tank.
1000005836.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conclusions: i think all in all this worked extremely well to get the rock started through benthic layer cycling, but not as great with a bare tank for coralline growth. Were i to do this again strictly for coralline growth, i would not attempt it in a bare system with no higher life forms. I would have clean up crews and a few fish to keep nutrient levels adequate for growth. As it was i had to dose waaaay more phosphate than anticipated and i think it bottomed out a few times before i caught it.

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved those rocks to my main display, the urchin gobbled down all the coralline off the rock before it really got a good foothold. But, i do get great growth in my skimmer neck of all places, so coralline is definitely present.
Cool I have been watching this thread to see if it was worth buying!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I have been watching this thread to see if it was worth buying!
I personally like it. I used it before this also on a 30 gallon tank. That time it got some cool orange and a teal blueish strain of coralline that did pretty good for a few months, but that was my first tank and parameters were a little loose, i think i killed it. The standard pink stuff did really well though and colonised most of the tank.
If you do get it, make sure to turn you flow off for a bit when you add it, brush out the bottle good and rinse it into your tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back