Dry rock from Amazon normal or bad?

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought some dry rock off amazon to my new 32g biocube the rock came in massive chunks boulders so i tried breaking it down alittle doesnt break made some shapes rinsed it really good had it in the tank for 2 days tried to move it around into a different scape the rock crumbs alot and turns into this mud like form is that normal for dry rock?

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...ords=dry+rock&qid=1551361540&s=gateway&sr=8-1

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought some dry rock off amazon to my new 32g biocube the rock came in massive chunks boulders so i tried breaking it down alittle doesnt break made some shapes rinsed it really good had it in the tank for 2 days tried to move it around into a different scape the rock crumbs alot and turns into this mud like form is that normal for dry rock?

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...ords=dry+rock&qid=1551361540&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It shouldn’t break down at all in the water. If it’s turning to mud I would get it out.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see something wrong with the pricing on this rock? I think I’d purchase 2 of the 40lb packages instead of the 80lb package.
933497B8-4DA6-4C23-8A21-04E2F3193B66.png

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see something wrong with the pricing on this rock? I think I’d purchase 2 of the 40lb packages instead of the 80lb package.
933497B8-4DA6-4C23-8A21-04E2F3193B66.png

Yeah, that’s quite a jump! :D

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120 lbs in a 90 and I’ve used it before this tank. It worked fine and all this means is that you didn’t rinse it enough. If you read reviews they all say to take it outside and use a power washer or strong garden hose to rinse it. This is true. There is lots of sandy material in the rocks you need to get out before using it.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120 lbs in a 90 and I’ve used it before this tank. It worked fine and all this means is that you didn’t rinse it enough. If you read reviews they all say to take it outside and use a power washer or strong garden hose to rinse it. This is true. There is lots of sandy material in the rocks you need to get out before using it.
hmm i mean i rinsed it pretty dang well the tank is cycling so does it matter wont it settle into the sand anyway?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on rocks but that doesn't sound right to me haha
I would take it out if I were in your situation
yah probably s0me crappy butt quality rock ;/ really wanted to make some better shapes this stuff is boulder sized cant make any shapes with it honestly

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i mean i rinsed it pretty dang well the tank is cycling so does it matter wont it settle into the sand anyway?

If it’s just dust it’s not as big of a deal. You said “mud” which is a very different situation.

Triquatics

Triquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rock should not turn into mud after a few days of it being in the tank. I would remove from the tank.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock is mined from the same areas as the rest of the reefsaver rock available on the market. It’s just a lower grade and therefore is going to be like this. I would take it out and rinse it in a tank that size with that filtration but probably wouldn’t bother in a larger tank where I can blow it off and catch it with a low micron sock.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock is mined from the same areas as the rest of the reefsaver rock available on the market. It’s just a lower grade and therefore is going to be like this. I would take it out and rinse it in a tank that size with that filtration but probably wouldn’t bother in a larger tank where I can blow it off and catch it with a low micron sock.
probably right ill remove it rinse it good add a few micron socks and hope for the best

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the worst that can happen with that dusty / muddy substance when i handle the rock my hands get like this milky gridy stuff ill take some pictures today

Turtlesteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought this rock a couple times (marketed as "Nature's Ocean") and I've been happy with it. Looks pretty much exactly like the photo posted above. There is some mud/sand packed into all the holes and crevices but that's a fairly minor inconvenience.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious but the spots you are saying are turning into mud, are those the spots that took an impact from you "smashing" them or hitting them with an object? I can confirm that even reef saver rock, when hit with a hammer or object, the area that took the blunt hit when wet will turn "muddy" and soft.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious but the spots you are saying are turning into mud, are those the spots that took an impact from you "smashing" them or hitting them with an object? I can confirm that even reef saver rock, when hit with a hammer or object, the area that took the blunt hit when wet will turn "muddy" and soft.
same here

and if the rock is wet like when drilling it it would drip white liquid. Pretty sure its just rock dust and water regarding op's issue.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here

and if the rock is wet like when drilling it it would drip white liquid. Pretty sure its just rock dust and water regarding op's issue.
yah its most likely just rock dust the rock is really soft i guess and i keep moving it around to find the sweet spot on the scape, when i let it sit in the tank lets say 5 hours the water get clear instantly

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back