dry rock leaching silicates?!

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have been battling diatoms for 3-4 months and they won't go away. They seem to have appeared after adding dry rock from my lfs. Could the rock be leaching silicates? Would removing the dry rock help solve or mitigate this issue?

Thanks, Alex

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the chrysophytes thread, they discuss how to properly use GFO to remove silicates

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes using brs 7 stage rodi. 0 TDS
Yes positive of diatoms. Not Dino or cyano.
Odds are it's coming from your RODI. I had the same issue, I couldn't tell when my media was spent and was getting 0 TDS. Apparently silica has a weak charge and often time doesn't show up on TDS. What is your DI bed configuration? A sure fire way to test is to do a ATI ICP test, they test your RODI as well which is how I found my issue.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the brs pro resins in the specified order they said. I had an icp sent out for my tank only and it came back with 1.2 ppm silicates. Will send out an rodi test as well, Thanks!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are it's coming from your RODI. I had the same issue, I couldn't tell when my media was spent and was getting 0 TDS. Apparently silica has a weak charge and often time doesn't show up on TDS. What is your DI bed configuration? A sure fire way to test is to do a ATI ICP test, they test your RODI as well which is how I found my issue.
This....

Always try a silica buster cartridge from spectrapure.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the silicabuster... There was never a color change in mine and it was purging silicates as the last cartridge in my bed.
I had the same issue when I moved and had new water source. I actually go through that cartridge more than my carbon now, hence why i use the silicate remover to elevate and buy more time.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue when I moved and had new water source. I actually go through that cartridge more than my carbon now, hence why i use the silicate remover to elevate and buy more time.
I ended up switching to the BRS pro series and running a single cation bed, anion bed followed by a mixed bed for final polishing. The color change is much more apparent now, zero silicates and no diatoms since I changed over. One of the best changes I've ever made.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up switching to the BRS pro series and running a single cation bed, anion bed followed by a mixed bed for final polishing. The color change is much more apparent now, zero silicates and no diatoms since I changed over. One of the best changes I've ever made.
Thank you, definitely look into that. Been so loyal to spectrapure for so long, haven't looked at evolution of options.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back