DudeBruh’s 120

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured since I’m up and running Id start a thread to say hello (again) and to keep as a journal for this tank.

The tank itself is a 120G with dual overflows, sbreef 32 pro led light, Coralife125 skimmer, an Aqueon two sump, and a mag 12 pump. Also came with two heaters, api test kit, salt, and some other goodies.
Pre-owned tank was running for two years with a massive amount of rock. IMO no room for anything else.
Did some quick aquascaping being I didn’t like the mountain look. Used zip ties,reef epoxy ( did not work well), pvc, and driveway markers. Kept a cup of the established sand and added new caribsea to surround the new rock work.
Let run for a day. While I did some house plumbing to setup new RODI system (aqualife 100 GPD). And also purchased a thermoter display with probe. Then Changed half the old water out with new RODI while checking parameters. Then Added bio spira second day in. Each day after added 10 drops 3 rd day in of Brightwell bacteria and toned it down to just a few drops a day. Performed 5 gallon water changes each day as well in first week.
First week observed two blue and orange hermits, 6 or so other crabs, Some really tiny snails, starfish, mushrooms? , Zoa?, Coraline algae and I’m sure I’m missing a few. Also around day 4 has to replace leaking bulkhead and hose.
After week in and 3 days of good parameters 0 nitrate ppm, 0 nitrite ppm, 0 ammonia ppm, and 8 ph. Added 2 small clowns, cleaner shrimp, and royal gramma. All seem happy after acclimating and observation.
Current issues I’m facing: 1)a way to properly secure the light, it’s heavy and tanks under a staircase so no stud centered above to mount a hook to hang it, which is what I’d like to do. Maybe I’ll contact sb and see if they have legs that mount front to back and not side to side as staircase would interrupt that too. 2) need to purchase a QT. 3). devise method for easier water changes. 4) make secure screen or tops for tank.

FD08C56E-E20A-4EA4-B1C4-17F602233425.jpeg

EF3318E9-0EDF-4934-8C5B-8E30155B96DE.jpeg

3DEF82C3-5854-491A-BF5A-C84A074C941E.jpeg

77FB4430-1BA4-4F44-B737-FDCF794C38DF.jpeg

87CC66D6-70B3-4585-AE92-52162FEBC13E.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you like to have this moved to the member tanks thread if its going to be your build thread?

But good looking tank, I'd love to follow along for the progress :)

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a nice start. I like that overhang, did you epoxy the rock together?
The overhang was made with 1 inch pipe. Built a square with one inch and 4 90’s, with a t half way though dividing the square for the base. The dividing pipe was cut with another T and then a 16 inch run going up at a 45 angle. For support of the 45 piece 3 inches up was another T with a support leg running and T’ed into the base.
I’m sorry if that’s confusing, I have a picture in my camera roll of the stand but it doesn’t appear when I go to upload the file.
Then used masonary bits to drill holes and used zip ties and epoxy to hold it together stacking rocks over the zip ties. The epoxy I used was trash. I followed the directions but it just seperate and came off as it’s own rock. I’ll be securing it maybe this weekend with another brand.
For the horizontal shelf piece I drilled a hole with a long mason bit and ran a driveway marker through it and the PVC, and some zip ties.
Piece on the left is just all stacked with a driveway marker through it all.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overhang was made with 1 inch pipe. Built a square with one inch and 4 90’s, with a t half way though dividing the square for the base. The dividing pipe was cut with another T and then a 16 inch run going up at a 45 angle. For support of the 45 piece 3 inches up was another T with a support leg running and T’ed into the base.
I’m sorry if that’s confusing, I have a picture in my camera roll of the stand but it doesn’t appear when I go to upload the file.
Then used masonary bits to drill holes and used zip ties and epoxy to hold it together stacking rocks over the zip ties. The epoxy I used was trash. I followed the directions but it just seperate and came off as it’s own rock. I’ll be securing it maybe this weekend with another brand.
For the horizontal shelf piece I drilled a hole with a long mason bit and ran a driveway marker through it and the PVC, and some zip ties.
Piece on the left is just all stacked with a driveway marker through it all.

Thanks for all of the details! It really looks unique. The shelf piece really came out well. Fish are going to love it below while corals are basking above.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!:) My cleaner has taken to the shelf while my royal gramma has taken home in a cave at the side of the left structure
Thanks for all of the details! It really looks unique. The shelf piece really came out well. Fish are going to love it below while corals are basking above.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a more than a little bit since updating: few projects have passed and a lot of tank inhabitants have been added with one departure. I’m overdue for a tank thread update. Big thanks to everyone that helped with stocking suggestions, algae help, nem/frag help, and structural stand advice. This group is truly the best. Well here goes the last 4/5 months......

After getting stocking suggestions, the current inhabitants are:

4 clowns
2 plane Jane “Nemo” Percs/ occs - one male one female
A prem frostbite clown
A midnight clown
Royal gramma
Chalk basslet
Fire fish
Lubbocks wrasse
YWG and tiger pistol
Seahare
Sandsifting star
Rose bubble tip anemone
Sabea anemone
Lost my cleaner shrimp while using peroxide to tame GHA but will definitely be getting another after ensuring it has been placed at bay.
The average clean up crew. Turbans cerith hermits nassarius

Frags
Orange chalice
Dragon soul Favia
Kenya tree
Duncan ( doing the best at this time by far)
Orange and green birdsnest
Pulsing Xenia ( lost to peroxide as well and will replace if found cheap enough)

Projects.... where to start....

Replaced leaking bulk head and for good measure the pressure hoses at that time.

Upgraded the sump to a trigger 32 and plumbed accordingly. was necessary to drain, remove rock, remove center brace to fit it in.

Added a refugium section with cheato and feather cal mix

Added diy screentop from BRS

Contacted SB to finally get a remote and to repair light ( dimmer and PCB)

Cut open my ceiling above the stairs to add a support to confidently hang my light

Today, Stand has been painted white and will be destressed this week to give it that aged popular look. Along with new hardware to be added. Looking for an effective way to cover the faux wood vynal on top and bottom brace with white or black as well

Some things to note so I can look back and say oh yeah and laugh.
My royal gramma has always and still runs the tank. From my stocking suggestions list given on here and from LFS added the chalk basslet to hopefully keep it in check. Yeah. No go. He checks his closet for the royal gramma before going to bed.

I went out to purchase the third and fourth clowns and a second anemone since my clowns rather rub the thermoter instead of my rose bubble tip. And as I was walking in the door with the new stock they’re they were dancing in it.

Peroxide is one hell of an Algeacide. Apparently kills cleaner shrimp and Xenia as well. Since mounting my lamp from ceiling it’s been much better with algae growth. Was mostly a debate with me and the wife as she was happy to not have anymore drywall mess after installing the Hi hat lights in the kitchen and living room and didn’t want to relive that nightmare of cleaning. And my inability to find a mount and waiting on my brother( metal fabricator) to make one.
Now that the growth has been addressed may need one last peroxide dance/dose before replacing my cleaner shrimp I lost. Miss that dude.

Future projects:
Finishing up said stand and hardware. And looking for some not so tacky vynal sticker to cover the wood ones.

Maybe changing plumbing to have one return t with a ball valve to add flow to the cheato in the fuge. Maybe upgrade fuge lamp as well

Need to buy some reef cement to cover a section where the rock and epoxy let go of the pvc structure. Need to start “ curing” some rocks for this along with some added fuge rubble.

Get a pod population up and going. Maybe mysis shrimp as well

Need to upgrade my flow situation. My return pump does quite a bit. My one and only power head is just too brutal. I’ll most likely just keep it for mixing saltwater. Looking at something wireless so I can have the tops tightly fit without the wires. Somethjng adjustable as well

More nems. Love the nems

Look to get into making it more automated.... whether reef-pi or something like an Apex.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back