Dueling Planted Nanos

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture speaks a thousand words soooo...

20200918_213039.jpg

7.1 gallon cube
Aquaclear 70 - stock filter pad and carbon. Going to install InTank inserts when they arrive on Sunday.
Neotherm 50w heater
Fluval Nano Plant and Marine lights
Aquasoil and Caribsea Fiji Pink

Freshwater Planted
The freshwater side needs a lot of work still. Aquaclear is waiting for an AC20 impeller so it's not on yet and that's why I have a powerhead. I'm also not happy with the rockwork. Going to buy better rocks. These rocks that I ordered from Buceplant are all flat and very little character. It's also going through a bacterial bloom so I need to hook up my UV to kill it. Also need to set up my paintball CO2 system.

20200918_213207.jpg

Plants:
Eleocharis belem
Pogostemon helferi 'downoi'
Cryptocoryne parva
Eriocaulon sp Quinquangulare red
Bucephalandra red mini

Stocking plan:
1 Oto
10 ember tetras
10 fire red neocaridina

Saltwater Planted

20200918_213200.jpg

Macroalgae:
Dragon's breath
Dragon's tongue
Fern caulerpa
Blue hypnea
Red spike sphere
Red ogo
Brown sargassum
Thick ogo
Shaving brush (soon)
Halimeda (soon)
Mermaid's fan (soon)

Stocking plan:
Astrea snail
Dwarf cerith
Dwarf planaxis
Money cowrie

I need your help in deciding what fish and inverts to stock this tank with. Any suggestions?? Here's more pics:

20200918_213105.jpg

20200918_213055.jpg

20200918_213116.jpg

20200918_213139.jpg

OP
OP
R

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the saltwater maybe a Goby and Shrimp pair? For the freshwater tank, maybe 4 zebra danios?

Freshwated stocklist is pretty firm. I wouldn't put zebra danios in a tank this small. They're active fish and need room for their rambunctious ways.

I was thinking of a clown goby but not sure I want something that would dig into the sand and create sand storms.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies like having polyps (On corals) as they rest in them and lay in them, etc. Maybe a blenny of some sort to eat a bit of the bad algae?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love threads like this! Very nice!

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, how about a Hector goby for the saltwater or a tailspot blenny. I wouldn't put a bicolor blenny on a 10gallon.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like both of these tanks, great job!!! I started out with FW planted tanks had 2 pea puffers in one of them, great little fish.

OP
OP
R

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current view
20201115_225831.jpg

Saltwater side is coming along. There are about 15 different macroalgae species in there. Still no fish. I wanna add some eviota or trimma gobies, some sexy shrimp, and not sure what else.
20201115_205754.jpg

Fresh side is bleh... Majority of plants melted soon after planting. I'm digging the algae on the rocks though. Gotta hook up the CO2 system still. Need to add a red plant in there for variety. Stocking plan are green neon tetras, oto, and a guppy as a dither fish for the tetras.
20201115_224010.jpg

Last edited:

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! How do you take photos of the two tanks next to each other without blue saltwater light drowning out the planted light or vice versa?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what you were going for with the freshie tank, and I am by all means a freshie first, but I could never really put up with co2. Too much hassle for me (it really isn't) and I personally just go plants that don't need it. Excel is the most I use, but I do put more effort into my substrates. My personal take would be to be doing all crypts and ferns (marselia minuta is my go-to foreground). Sure, slower growing (aside from marselia) but once established, everything is rock solid. With that, could use lower light to limit algae growth and use some nice brown or red crypt as the contrast color.

That's just me though^
That macro tank though, you nailed that one. Looks great

OP
OP
R

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what you were going for with the freshie tank, and I am by all means a freshie first, but I could never really put up with co2. Too much hassle for me (it really isn't) and I personally just go plants that don't need it. Excel is the most I use, but I do put more effort into my substrates. My personal take would be to be doing all crypts and ferns (marselia minuta is my go-to foreground). Sure, slower growing (aside from marselia) but once established, everything is rock solid. With that, could use lower light to limit algae growth and use some nice brown or red crypt as the contrast color.

That's just me though^
That macro tank though, you nailed that one. Looks great

What's your objection to CO2? I have CO2 on my 45 gallon and its set it and forget it. I change the tank every year and a half. Excel IMO is more hassle since you have to dose every day. Well... ok... maybe not so much if you had a doser. I love minuta. So low maintenance, low growing, and yet grows like crazy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back