Duncan colony help

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone! I was recently gifted this huge Duncan colony by my parents. They have had it for about a year. They had switched tanks about 3 months ago and it started growing some algae on it and they stopped opening up. Now from what they told me is all it does is grow new heads constantly, but will not fully extend.
Do you think the algae has something to do with it? They thought since my tank has been doing well they would give it to me and maybe it would open for me. Now my question is; why would it be sprouting a crazy amount of heads but not open up?
I also think the coral has been nipped on in their tank. Thanks in advance!

IMG_4397.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4394.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get parameters for my tank when I get home, last time I checked on Thursday and most everything except calcium was in the normal range. My calcium was a tad low. But a water change may have fixed it. Like I said I’ll get the parameters for my tank in a couple hours. As for my parents tank, I’m not totally sure their parameters. I’ll ask her them. Their tank is a little overstocked IMHO. They are starting to open today tho and I just put them in the tank on Sunday afternoon around 1 PM.

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the bits of blue in there. I can try to get a better picture if needed. They are definitely trying to pop out.

Attachments

• IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4400.jpeg
    IMG_4400.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure will! Thanks for the bit of confidence haha. I’ll still get my Params in a little bit!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the bits of blue in there. I can try to get a better picture if needed. They are definitely trying to pop out.
When I move my Duncan’s, they sulk for good week or two, then just open wide. It may be adjusting to light change, they seem very sensitive to that. IMG_1994.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I move my Duncan’s, they sulk for good week or two, then just open wide. It may be adjusting to light change, they seem very sensitive to that. IMG_1994.jpeg
I’m hoping so! My other Duncan’s are doing great and always big and fluffy! I am super curious as to see what it’ll look like all opened up. That’s a pretty big branch haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back