Duncan coral

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been noticing for the past week 2 of the 3 heads in my Duncan coral has been closed. My level are good except for my magnesium and calium they were low my mag was at 1110 current at 1260, my calcium was at 340 now at 360. Nitrate at 20ppm. I had it at the medium level of tank in my biocube 14g and so today I decided place it in the sand bed maybe it’s the lighting idk. I have an aiprimehd. Please let me know all the other corals are doing just fine. Thank you

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been noticing for the past week 2 of the 3 heads in my Duncan coral has been closed. My level are good except for my magnesium and calium they were low my mag was at 1110 current at 1260, my calcium was at 340 now at 360. Nitrate at 20ppm. I had it at the medium level of tank in my biocube 14g and so today I decided place it in the sand bed maybe it’s the lighting idk. I have an aiprimehd. Please let me know all the other corals are doing just fine. Thank you
How much are you spot feeding it, and what are you using?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed twice a week on Monday & Friday, I mix brim shrimp with reef roids. Is that the problem? Maybe
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not an NPS guy. I don't have any coral in my tank that aren't photosynthetic. I just know that with Duncan's it seems light rarely matters since they don't use it much so I would focus on flow and feeding.

Lets see if anyone else in #reefsquad can help with this NPS

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan corals aren't NPS, they're fully photosynthetic. They dont need to be fed. @Brew12 I think you're thinking of a sun coral which is an NPS, they do look kind of similar to a duncan :) If its closed up it's either a water quality, lighting, or outside interference issue such as a shrimp messing with it or to much flow. I know mine a couple heads will close up for a few days but then open back up and be just fine. How long as it been like this?

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression duncans were photosynthetic?!

Too much flow can definitely affect polyp extension on mine.

No other corals near that could be causing allopathy are there?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan corals aren't NPS, they're fully photosynthetic. They dont need to be fed. @Brew12 I think you're thinking of a sun coral which is an NPS, they do look kind of similar to a duncan :) If its closed up it's either a water quality, lighting, or outside interference issue such as a shrimp messing with it or to much flow. I know mine a couple heads will close up for a few days but then open back up and be just fine. How long as it been like this?
;Eggonface;Eggonface;Eggonface;Eggonface

Ooops…. So why don't I have one of these in my tank then? :confused: Not sure why I was convinced they were NPS. ;Facepalm

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ooops…. So why don't I have one of these in my tank then? :confused: Not sure why I was convinced they were NPS. ;Facepalm
Where you located, I'll send you a head if youd like, mine is getting huge ;)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to get water parameters in good shape. Even if that isn't the issue, it will help narrow down the cause. Mg above 1350(LPS like mg), Ca above 400(no reason to have any lower), and ALK needs to be monitored. With 20ppm of no3, where does po4 sit?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their requirements similar to euphyllias? Definitely want some Duncan's for my next addition
Yes, low light low to medium flow, and a little nitrate and phosphate

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youve answered Your own question i believe .. magnesium low ... raise that and it will get beter in my opinion !

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet I can guess what you will be adding to your tank soon... lol

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the OP post a pic this Duncan and maybe a FTS?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I moved it to the sand bed with medium flow. It’s been like this since this past Tuesday.

OP
OP
J

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youve answered Your own question i believe .. magnesium low ... raise that and it will get beter in my opinion !

I started dosing this Wednesday and I’ve been testing everyday I have to test again this afternoon to see where mag and cal are at. Alk remains at 10ppm

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing this Wednesday and I’ve been testing everyday I have to test again this afternoon to see where mag and cal are at. Alk remains at 10ppm

Are you sure about your units on your alkalinity? 10ppm translates to a dKh of 0.52 which is not possible!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back