Duncans Distressed and Dying

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said and pictured; this branching Duncan is 1+ years in this tank and has 2 - 3X added heads in that time. About a month back one polyp died; saw a biota aptasia file fish picking at it as it was disappearing, never knew if it was the cause or cleaning the carcass.

In the last week many of the distal branched polyps closed up, this is usually big fluffy and flowing. This evening several have started to die and now the second picture, in a two unrelated cluster fixed to same rock, also 1+ year old and rapidly expanding, one of the clusters have closed up.
Other frogspawn, hammers and torches in same tank seem unaffected, as do some of the Duncan’s
Have never dealt with brown jelly before, so do not have the experience - is this that - or other thoughts…

Please and thank you

A80B4A64-382A-4B14-8296-1B6A33B1C395.jpeg
68185C48-8389-4501-B3BB-B28532B69B40.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you caught the filefish nipping at the duncan, that's a likely candidate. By the looks of your other corals the lighting and flow looks excellent, so I suspect an external factor. If it is BJD (it doesn't look like it though), the "smell test" if you can remove the frag is an easy way to confirm or rule out.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you caught the filefish nipping at the duncan, that's a likely candidate. By the looks of your other corals the lighting and flow looks excellent, so I suspect an external factor. If it is BJD (it doesn't look like it though), the "smell test" if you can remove the frag is an easy way to confirm or rule out.
Thanks, have added the fish trap to the tank, sitting and watching while I eat dinner for any other nefarious activity.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, not apparent BJD in the pics. You would clearly see brown jelly substance oozing in the dying head. Maybe a fish or other bacteria. Although, when I got BJD my duncan was the first to show signs. Smell test will help determine.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, not apparent BJD in the pics. You would clearly see brown jelly substance oozing in the dying head. Maybe a fish or other bacteria. Although, when I got BJD my duncan was the first to show signs. Smell test will help determine.
Thanks, I’m a research vet and it is amazing how much we depend on our noses for diagnosis. DiagNoseSis.
Watching the filefish right now pay particular attention to some Palys but not doing a full nip. Is there a recommended precautionary dip?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m a research vet and it is amazing how much we depend on our noses for diagnosis. DiagNoseSis.
Watching the filefish right now pay particular attention to some Palys but not doing a full nip. Is there a recommended precautionary dip?
The first thing I do every morning is smell my tank water. If it smells like the ocean I know it's probably ok.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suggestions on dips?
When I had BJD, I tried iodine dips but no help. You may have a bacteria infection if you have ruled out fish nipping. The few times I've had bacteria infections in my tank, I was losing a head here and there over several weeks. I successfully treated the tank with ciprofloaxin.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back