Durso Or Stockman Standpipe? Wow! What A Difference!?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to finally quiet down my CPR CS90 overflow after years of the gurgling and sucking sound in the background. Wow! What a difference!? It only took about 10 minutes to build. Since I had to wait 24 hours for the glue to dry right for safety for the system, after building the Durso. I decided to use the Stockman standpipe first because no glue is needed.

Doing research, I found the Durso type standpipe first (LINK). I watched a couple of videos and decided to give it a try. A few hours later, I started putting my parts list together, then I discovered this thread here on R2R (LINK). I read through the thread, and it was suggested that the Stockman standpipe is quieter than the Durso standpipe. Then, I found a video on how to make a Stockman standpipe. I decided to stay with the Stockman standpipe because it worked.

Parts list for the Durso:

1” schedule 40 PVC 5” long cut in half, so that there is 2 x 2.5” sections, making sure the air intake is 1” above the overflow in the back the overflow box.

1” T-fitting

1” Street 90

1” Cap

A saw or PVC cutter, PVC glue, and a 13/64 drill bit for the air inlet hole.

One can adjust the flow by sticking some air line in the air inlet hole with an adjustable air line fitting

Picture of air line adjuster
Airline valve.jpg

Picture of stand pipe
IMG_5358.JPG

Parts list for the Stockman

1” schedule 40 PVC cut 7.5 inches long, making sure the air intake is 1” above the overflow in the back the overflow box.

1” repair compression coupling just for the rubber washer.

1 ¼ “coupling to fit over washer and drilled holes

1” cap

13/64 drill bit for air inlet hole

15/16 drill bit for water intake holes

Air line and air line adjustment fitting

I measured up two inches up from the bottom and made a line. Then measured up another inch to where my washer will be. I drilled 5/16 holes in the one-inch section randomly to let the water into the pipe. Slide the 1 ¼ fitting down over the washer to the two-inch mark. Drill a 13/64 hole in the top cap, push in your airline and adjuster. Place in overflow and adjust the flow with the airline adjuster. It will take a couple of tweaks but wow what a difference.

Picture of Stockman
IMG_5355.JPG

Video of the noise reduction

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked well, After a year of running mine has gotten quite loud and the vent is whistling like a tea pot, not really but is making a sucking noise. and Ill have to do something to correct. Marine land with a single stand pipe.
any suggestions?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 72 bow had the same pipe @siggy Make sure the vent is clear. I used to use a pipe cleaner to clean mine out occasionally.

I bought a few like this

31%2BCIpzt5eL._SX425_.jpg
Thanks, that is better than the cordless roto-ruter I had in mind:confused:

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked well, After a year of running mine has gotten quite loud and the vent is whistling like a tea pot, not really but is making a sucking noise. and Ill have to do something to correct. Marine land with a single stand pipe.
any suggestions?
The mice thing about not gluing it I can now take it a part and clean the standpipe.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not even bother with the Durso? I've been contemplating a change with my cube build right now. I have the standard plumbing that came with my Marineland 93 reef ready tank but it is SO loud in my living room. Its functionally fine but acoustically horrible.

There is a small hole drilled in the return line that is supposed to be a siphon break I believe but it shoots out water constantly and creates a very noisy atmosphere. And completely useless because the water drains back into the sump from that hole slowly until the water is flush with it.

Everything still flowing quietly?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting up my 75g right next to where I watch TV I couldn't have a noisy overflow. I have an eshopps pf800 overflow and it was way too noisy out of the box. I made a Stockman Standpipe to quiet it down. The first one I made looked exactly like the one in the video above. I noticed that when cleaning the overflow and taking apart the standpipe that rubber O ring would leave a black residue on my hands. I don't think the water level ever reached that part of the Stockman where the rubber O ring sits, but I didn't want to take a chance of having whatever was coming off that rubber in the tank.
I replaced that coupler and rubber O ring with the fitting below. It's snug enough to hold it's position on the PVC drain tube and I'm able to get rid of the rubber O ring.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Genova-3-4-in-dia-Adapter-CPVC-Fittings/3341714

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not even bother with the Durso? I've been contemplating a change with my cube build right now. I have the standard plumbing that came with my Marineland 93 reef ready tank but it is SO loud in my living room. Its functionally fine but acoustically horrible.

There is a small hole drilled in the return line that is supposed to be a siphon break I believe but it shoots out water constantly and creates a very noisy atmosphere. And completely useless because the water drains back into the sump from that hole slowly until the water is flush with it.

Everything still flowing quietly?
I have the same tank but 75 g. I plugged the hole (salt creap) and put line lock check vales on the returns,

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Durso I built. It’s 1.5in and uses a airline valve I found at Home Depot. Super quite but sometimes takes a little bit to start back up after turning off the return. No glue involved!
930C5595-0283-4467-87E6-E1E85251CF90.jpeg
F78510F6-0857-4E40-8503-95B506DBECB0.jpeg
C791E276-1170-4512-A389-679D213CB205.jpeg
18BC5DA3-489D-4768-B24D-8E403FF2F945.jpeg

I have the same problem. Nothing scares me more than a power outtage when I'm not home. I would say 20-25% of the time the durso does not fire up quick enough and would overflow if I was not there to cut the return and wait for it to catch up.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. Nothing scares me more than a power outtage when I'm not home. I would say 20-25% of the time the durso does not fire up quick enough and would overflow if I was not there to cut the return and wait for it to catch up.
Wow I have never had it over flow but it gets uncomfortable. Never stopped it ether. Do you know what causes the problem?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have never had it over flow but it gets uncomfortable. Never stopped it ether. Do you know what causes the problem?

I do not, and its so random when it does or doesn't work. I have not been able to 1) isolate the problem, or 2) make the problem repeat

My waterline is about an inch below the rim of the tank normally but when the return is shut off for feeding or water changes it either works as it should or begins to raise up the glass. I usually have about 20 second to catch it if it fails...

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not, and its so random when it does or doesn't work. I have not been able to 1) isolate the problem, or 2) make the problem repeat

My waterline is about an inch below the rim of the tank normally but when the return is shut off for feeding or water changes it either works as it should or begins to raise up the glass. I usually have about 20 second to catch it if it fails...
Hopefully mine dosnt overflow one day. Making me nervous lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back