"Dust" floating around the tank

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don’t carbon dose because I don’t have a skimmer. But for the last two nights I’ve been dosing just a little vodka and today I see some green hair algae in my 7 year old tank . I don’t know if this is helping the break down of detritus?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don’t carbon dose because I don’t have a skimmer. But for the last two nights I’ve been dosing just a little vodka and today I see some green hair algae in my 7 year old tank . I don’t know if this is helping the break down of detritus?
If there is stuff floating around you need to look at your filtration and flow,.

perhaps the stuff never ends up in the filter so you need to look at flow

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe it's bacterial also. You don't need a huge UV to clear the water. As previously stated a 40 to 50 watt will work.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is stuff floating around you need to look at your filtration and flow,.

perhaps the stuff never ends up in the filter so you need to look at flow
I’ve tried many different filters and I have two MP40S. Lately I’m using two magnum polishers with DE in the display. During the day it looks like a constant shedding of dandruff. I can see the flecks go into the overflow box. I even put a 100 micron sock on the return pump outlet.

Nemosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a clean, clear glass and fill it with tank water from your display while the particles are floating. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so and whatever it is will be more visible and settle to the bottom of the glass. If nothing can be seen, you probably have micro bubbles being pumped back into your display.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do micro bubble almost every night but these specks are definitely different. I don’t know if it makes a difference but my clogged socks are gray color.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the glass of tank water test and my stuff will settle but not disappear. I’m thinking bacteria or maybe some kind of sponge?

Nemosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cheap reactor from BRS and used a 1 micron sediment filter with an old pump and set it up in my sump. Let it run for a few hours and it should trap those particles without a problem. Crystal clear water. If you have a reactor with carbon or other media, just swap it for a 1 micron sediment filter temporarily then go back with your media once you’re satisfied. You can also run smaller micron filter socks. They will clog faster but will also work.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the glass of water "test" and very quickly everything went away. I went and turned off the 4 rear pumps on my max tank and all my "dust" went away. I think they were micro bubbles.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms look like fog in your tank or clearish fuzz/slime (biofilm) on tank surfaces. This isn't bacterial. It's particulate matter -- detritus, fine sand particles, old fish food, poop, etc. I suppose it could be microbubbles, but I'd expect to see them sticking to some surfaces in your tank. That doesn't appear to be happening.

I run both UV and ozone on my tank yet I observe similar particulate matter -- but I currently don't use mechanical filtration so it's expected. I have thrown a HOB power filter on the tank and it's cleared the particulates right up overnight.

If it bothers you, increasing your mechanical filtration should solve the issue -- and that might require increasing flow through your sump via larger return pump. Though, there's nothing inherently wrong with floating particulates as these exist in nature, too.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had dusty stuff floating around before (seemed too big for bacteria). They seemed to multiply with lights on, would disappear by first thing in the morning. Don’t know what it was but a UV got rid within 24hrs.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it bothers you, increasing your mechanical filtration should solve the issue -- and that might require increasing flow through your sump via larger return pump. Though, there's nothing inherently wrong with floating particulates as these exist in nature, too.
I have just grown to accept it and let it go. Tank is doing well so why bother "fixing" something thats not really broken.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just grown to accept it and let it go. Tank is doing well so why bother "fixing" something thats not really broken.

Good philosophy. Too often, issues are self induced by trying to correct some perceived flaw in search of the "perfect" tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back