"Dust" floating around the tank

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is but I see a ton of "dust" or something floating around in the tank. Its been setup for nearly a year now.
Its a redsea max s-650 tank with the stock pumps (4x) on the rear and I have a reefwave45 on the side with random flow. I have tried putting a new 100 micron sock in to trap some stuff but it doesnt seem to drop the number of floaties.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is but I see a ton of "dust" or something floating around in the tank. Its been setup for nearly a year now.
Its a redsea max s-650 tank with the stock pumps (4x) on the rear and I have a reefwave45 on the side with random flow. I have tried putting a new 100 micron sock in to trap some stuff but it doesnt seem to drop the number of floaties.
Could be micro bubbles or detritus getting kicked up from the sand bed.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?

How are you polishing your water?

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?

How are you polishing your water?
123.jpg

Not sure what you mean my water polishing. I have a filter sock and skimmer. I also run a dual reactor with GFO and carbon. My water never looks clear and clean. Just looking for ways to clean it up.

That picture was right before I swapped in the new Reefwave45 on the left. Even before that change I had the particles.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
123.jpg

Not sure what you mean my water polishing. I have a filter sock and skimmer. I also run a dual reactor with GFO and carbon. My water never looks clear and clean. Just looking for ways to clean it up.

That picture was right before I swapped in the new Reefwave45 on the left. Even before that change I had the particles.

A white light picture would be better to try and help you determine what the particulate is.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take one tonight.
Don’t suppose you’ve got a UV? I had summit that for all the world looked like dust, sand fines (could actually see particles, too big to be bacteria you would think). UV got rid pronto, so whatever it was, I disappeared it. Mine actually cleared at night and bloomed while the lights were on, so photosynthetic maybe. They also made my fish lethargic, acting drunk. This effect also disappeared with UV, within 24hrs.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any water splashing into your return chamber in the sump. This makes me think microbubbles.
Not at all, the sump is quiet and calm. In fact its so calm i'm getting a film on the surface of the chamber before the return pump. I put a random flow nozzle on the return pipe and it cut my turn over rate way down. I wonder if its too much of a restriction and its killing my return rate.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
123.jpg

Water polishing are extremely fine filter media that get the really tiny particles.

Your tank looks healthy.

How often do you change out your filter sock?

The water looks cloudy to me; possibly a bacterial bloom. If so, this suggests that you aren't changing your filter media regularly enough.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change out your filter sock?

The water looks cloudy to me; possibly a bacterial bloom. If so, this suggests that you aren't changing your filter media regularly enough.
That might be it... I only have a single 7" diameter sock on this tank and I swap it out when its full. That normally takes about 4-5 days. Im really eyeing a redsea filter roller but they are not available yet. I really dont like swapping out socks every 2-3 days. Its a chore to take them out and spray them with the hose. I wont toss them in the laundry for fear of any lingering detergent getting into the tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now ill buckle down and swap every two days and see if that clears things up in a week or two.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so, it should be skimming the water surface and catching all that floats.
Are you powerheads breaking the surface?
Respectfully disagree. The overflow will not catch the micro-particles that are responsible for the lack of clarity in the water.

That is the job of filter socks and other micro-filtering media.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be it... I only have a single 7" diameter sock on this tank and I swap it out when its full. That normally takes about 4-5 days. Im really eyeing a redsea filter roller but they are not available yet. I really dont like swapping out socks every 2-3 days. Its a chore to take them out and spray them with the hose. I wont toss them in the laundry for fear of any lingering detergent getting into the tank.
If you only have a single filter sock that you've bben cleaning it is probably worn out and shedding fibres..

You need to have at least four and swap twice a week. After 6 months 4 new ones.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back