Dwarf seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all it’s been a minute I have a baby dwarf seahorse left that’s about 2 months old and a pair of dwarf seahorses, I have struggled with Hydroid colonies for a month plus I have manually removed and scrub off they still come back since I feed live bbs. I have lost 3 adult dwarf seahorses and struggle to keep a dwarf alive for over 4-5 months I plan to switch to a Seahorse rather than a dwarf seahorse eventually. Any thoughts and of course with my tank size of 10 gallons I can only have 1 pair or just a single? And would the mandarin goby be fine living with a large seahorse rather than the dwarves it does now .

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin would be fine with seahorse just like with the dwarf. I feel like a 10g might be really pushing it for even one though, personally

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a mandarin or a pair of seahorses should not be in a 10 gallon, its much too small. A pair of seahorses should be in a 30 gallon minimum, same for mandarin. Mandarins and seahorses also eat the same foods, mainly copepods, so they will compete for the pods. A mandarin is an exploring/roaming type of fish, it will explore a whole tank, but very confined in a 10 gallon. Please do some more research into their care

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a mandarin or a pair of seahorses should not be in a 10 gallon, its much too small. A pair of seahorses should be in a 30 gallon minimum, same for mandarin. Mandarins and seahorses also eat the same foods, mainly copepods, so they will compete for the pods. A mandarin is an exploring/roaming type of fish, it will explore a whole tank, but very confined in a 10 gallon. Please do some more research into their care
Dwarves should be fine in 10 gallons. I kept a breeding population in a 5 gallon a decade ago (although I would recommend a bigger system). The big seahorses definitely need 30+ gallons, but not dwarves. They barely move, and if you can get the water quality up to par, there are no problems

CCAF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tank would be better for the dwarf horses, easier for them to find and eat all the food offered in a smaller size tank, leaving less uneaten food for the hydroids to feed off. But 10gallon is too small for the larger seahorses.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarves should be fine in 10 gallons. I kept a breeding population in a 5 gallon a decade ago (although I would recommend a bigger system). The big seahorses definitely need 30+ gallons, but not dwarves. They barely move, and if you can get the water quality up to par, there are no problems
re-read the OP, he plans to switch to seahorses from dwarf seahorses.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re-read the OP, he plans to switch to seahorses from dwarf seahorses.
Oof, looks like you are right.

the 10 gallon can have the proper footprint for a pair of big horsies, but you will not have the VERTICALITY. you need at least 30 gallons to meet that requirement.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oof, looks like you are right.

the 10 gallon can have the proper footprint for a pair of big horsies, but you will not have the VERTICALITY. you need at least 30 gallons to meet that requirement.
After consideration I am sticking with dwarf seahorses I thought Seahorses would be easier and there life expectancy is longer. I had dwarves for 4/5 months and they started dying off. I have been over swarmed by hydroids and don’t know how to control them in my next dwarf seahorse population

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back