Dying BTA? Lost it's tentacles... Please help!

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, however I've been using the advise and expertise of R2R members for about a year now.

I got a BTA for our Nano tank about a 3 months ago and it did great for the first 2 months, but I had some lighting and water chemistry issues about a month ago and that's when the BTA lost all of it's tentacles and shrunk to about 1/5th of it's original size.

I have an AI Prime 16 now and water chemistry checked twice a week, 20% weekly water changes religiously and all my corals look great and healthy, but the BTA never seemed to have recovered. It's bounded with my clown fish and seems to eat well. From time to time, it's shriveled up to the point where i'm certain it's dead, but just when I go to take him out, it opens up...

I don't have the heart to dispose of him, if he's alive and healthy and my Clown does not leave the BTA's sight. I can live with its tentacles being gone as long as I know it's healthy and happy! I also don't want it dying suddenly and risking the life of my fish and corals.

I didn't have a before picture so I used one that resembled it's original size and shape and I've included pictures of his current state..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

C68D46A6-BA89-45E0-8D20-BF637D1921DC.jpeg IMG_3658.jpeg IMG_3659.jpeg IMG_3663.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it? if so, stop. Also, how long has the tank been running post cycle? What other critters are in the tank? Additionally, It seems pretty low in the tank. These critters need a lot of light to survive. What are your light settings?

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it? if so, stop. Also, how long has the tank been running post cycle? What other critters are in the tank? Additionally, It seems pretty low in the tank. These critters need a lot of light to survive. What are your light settings?
Hi P-Dub-

I don't feed it, but have seen the clown feeding it. The tank has been running for about 8month and I got the BTA about 5months post cycle. In the tank I have mainly soft LPS corals (Zoas, Green Star Polyp, Torch, Hammer) one clown and one Banggai cardinalfish.

My AI Prime is running the BRStv AB+ setting at 70% for a 25G tank, however I only got the AI Prime several weeks ago and since it's a lot more powerful then my previous Current USA Orbit Marine, I start the AI on acclamation mode for 21days before it reached the full BRStv 70% AB+. With that said, since I have a PAR meter, I checked where the PAR reading is around the BTA and its currently at 100-120 PAR during the day.

Unfortunately, it is very low in the tank, but it's a location it chose.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate the clown and the nem. That looks like a maroon clown. They seem to be a little harder on nems. A nonhealthy nem can be further agitated from the hosting behavior and deteriorate.

Your bta is at a stage were it could still recover or melt away. Watch it and if it goes downhill, vacuum it out as soon as it starts to melt. I would up the lighting, although it is low, its not extremely low par. If possible, reposition the light over the nem if the nem is off center and recheck par, a slight increase would be better. 150-200 seems to be ok to remain stable (not getting smaller/or bigger) in my experience, although it depends on the specific bta.

Keep your water parameters stable. What are they? NO3, PO4, Alk, etc.?

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate the clown and the nem. That looks like a maroon clown. They seem to be a little harder on nems. A nonhealthy nem can be further agitated from the hosting behavior and deteriorate.

Your bta is at a stage were it could still recover or melt away. Watch it and if it goes downhill, vacuum it out as soon as it starts to melt. I would up the lighting, although it is low, its not extremely low par. If possible, reposition the light over the nem if the nem is off center and recheck par, a slight increase would be better. 150-200 seems to be ok to remain stable (not getting smaller/or bigger) in my experience, although it depends on the specific bta.

Hi Lance,

Much appreciate the response and input.

You are definitely onto something.. The clown can be pretty annoying and is super protective over the BTA.. It rarely ever leaves the nem and is always within an inch of him unless feeding.. I've also seen the clown poke the nem to force it open.

The BTA is off-center so I'll try re-adjusting to light so its over the nem and I will also do complete chemistry test and report back the results.

Thanks again!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have about 40 bubbletips at around 150 for par avg some more some less lol

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem would move on his own, moving light is just going to make things worse.
I wish I could provide a better prognosis.
Looks very troubled.

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone- A bitter update!

I went to do my water change yesterday and noticed that tank smelled a little off and I had read in a few blogs that one of the way to check the health of a nem is by smelling them, so I took a sniff and WOW.. It smelled awful and given the grave condition it was in, I really didn't want to risk it completely poisoning the tank and more importantly, put the poor thing out of its misery.. It was really tough...

I can't thank everyone enough for their input and guidance.. I've truly lived off of R2R, the amazing members and all the great advise/guidance they provide on this forum.

Thanks everyone!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back