Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE HELP.
tank is a 30 cube AIO
Nitrites 20
Phosphate 0.90
Alk. 10.0
As of last night
I’ve been running this tank for over a year and have all LPS in it (many zoas, mushrooms, 2 twin head hammers and a 2 head torch)
About 3 months back I had a stability issue and gave my torch and larger hammer to a friend while I sorted it out (he is way better at this than I am). I upgraded to a proper dozer and have been dosing all4 reef along with a new skimmer I have had the tank stable for over a month now. I collected my torch/hammer from him 2 days ago and re inserted them into my tank. Today the torch is looking bad like really bad. The hammers are doing great and nothing has changed Please help me figure out what is going on here. It is shriveled up to about a golf ball size and yesterday it was baseball sized
3BAC52DC-054A-484C-B6B6-DE4F74791AE3.jpeg
D5726690-72B5-411E-A317-0CCDCB4717DB.jpeg
d

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Torch is receded due to stress. Phos is up a little (you want .04-.06)
What test kits are you using ?
With torch, one of the biggest problems I have seen are owners failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature 77-79degrees
Specific gravity- 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
Calcium level of about 400-440ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all.

OP
OP
C

Capt.Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch is back to normal late last night and looks great and healthy today. Still wondering if something in particular causes this issue or if it’s something not to worry about

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch is back to normal late last night and looks great and healthy today. Still wondering if something in particular causes this issue or if it’s something not to worry about
It's probably just reacclomating to your tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
More than anything - Stress due to either light or water. Could be as simple as a temporary spike

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back