Early morning reefers. Do you . . . . . . .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im sure we have an abundance of reefers that rise early in the morning.
Do you tend to or check on your tank before you begin your day or leave for work or do you make coffee your go to event each day and deal with tank later?

If you start the day with your tank, what is your daily task or goal?

For myself, I assure all components running, fusion for Apex shows nothing out of norm and no distressed fish as the lights are on a very low setting when the day begins

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't check the tank right away unless there is some unexpected notification (device not connected) from my WiFi devices (lights, controller, heater). Shortly before leaving for work (after lights have been ramping up for ~30 minutes) I go down to manually dose a few mL of AFR and give a morning feed of flake and pellet. Unless I notice something out of the ordinary, I'm only there for a minute or two and then off to work.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every morning around 5:15 i walk by and open the cabinety and glance into the sump. Look into the tank and make sure my Foxface is still sleeping in the same spot he always has for the last year.

If that looks all good I move on. :smirking-face:

Now before bed is a different story as I'm sitting and watching TV and I think to myself "What's that sound. That sounds different".:face-with-tears-of-joy:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I was working ( retired now) I was always up and out the door before the lights came on, so as long as the temp was right and water was flowing, that's all I really had time to check.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you tend to or check on your tank before you begin your day or leave for work or do you make coffee your go to event each day and deal with tank later?

For myself, I assure all components running, fusion for Apex shows nothing out of norm and no distressed fish as the lights are on a very low setting when the day begins
Yep! I dose manually and change the filter socks and filter floss daily. Also search for sea spiders

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wake up at 3am and before I leave the house I always check the tank. Just a quick look and listen to see if anything is abnormal before I take off. Overflow running silent, all pumps on, skimmer not overflowing, sump at the right level and ro in my top off bucket.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I shower at night and wake up 15 minutes before I need to leave for work. I'm very envious of all you early risers. My partner jokes that if I had my way I'd never be awake when the sun was up.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get up, go to work, and then check on my tank :face-savoring-food:

I would not call myself a morning person, but I do get to the office about 45 minutes before everyone else. Gives me time to clean the glass, check the sump, and put some food out to thaw for the morning feeding.

Heavy maintenance is done on Saturday mornings.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work graves and come home at around 9-9:30am. As the lights come on I’ll do my daily dosing of 2-part and vodka (yes I carbon dose). A few days a week also as the lights come on I’ll dose aminos and trace elements. As you can see, with the exception of ATO water, I dose everything manually. I’ve had 2 bad experiences in the past with an auto doser causing my alk to spike really high. So far the manual dosing is working out well and I see no reason to go back to using a doser anytime in the near future.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was working I had the lights come on for a while early so I could feed fish before I left. I also was manually dosing 2 part then and did that in the mornings along with a quick inspection of equipment etc. Since retiring I've starting using dosers for 2part and kalk. I sleep untill I can't sleep any longer which may be 5 am or it may be noon. The dosers help me keep things consistent since I no longer run on a schedule.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look at my control boxes on the side of the stand to make sure all of the lights look correct, then I will usually just quickly glance at the tank to make sure nothing looks (or sounds) abnormal.
I am not a morning person so I usually don’t wake up early enough to do much to the tank before leaving for work.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still fairly new to reefing and am trying to avoid habitually tinkering all the time. Mornings tend to be when I want to tinker the most and so I'll end up testing and making sure parameters are okay. I manually test with Salifert and Hanna checkers; typically I check alk, temp, salinity 2-3 times a week and cal, no3 and phos once a week. Manually testing can be a little annoying so it kind of counters always wanting to mess with something on the tank. I also feed phyto in the mornings

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work from home and desktop tank next to me so I can view all day long. Were I headed out to the office then likely take a quick glance confirming nothing requiring attention happened overnight although that's no guarantee since last issue wasn't discovered until later in the morning after morning check passed. However, other than dosing manually what's needed. Too busy working to be constantly checking and the tank is right next to me. Work pays for fish food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back