Easy water changes!

GRIFTY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a build or any ideas for a super easy way to do water changes that is fairly cheap? Specs with the build would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is in a fish room with a dry sink.
I tee'd off my return pump, plumbed it to the dry sink with a valve. The Saltwater mixing barrel is 3' higher than my sump. I plumbed the the FreshSaltwater outlet to the sump, again with a valve.
My sump holds enough water to do a 50 gal WC while the system is running. (less the skimmer)
Water out, turn valve. Fresh Saltwater in, turn valve.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System
Any 300gph or greater water pump, and tubing for it. Make sure it is powerful enough for length of tubing you choose, and adjustable one would be best if not sure.

Drain the water with the python. Refill from 5g or 25g buckets of mixed salt water using the pump.

Total cost about $75-100 --- Never having to lug a bucket of water again. Priceless.

I do recommend adding a shutoff valve to the end of the refill to prevent adding to much on accident and running across house to unplug the pump.

------------

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, i just did a WC the other day and took a few pics, because it was so easy!!
I use a pvc rig to remove the water from tank, it goes straight into the toilet. the open suction for the pvc is at the ideal level for 25G removal. then I have a mixing/rodi storage station in the bathroom about 20-25' from the tank. everything is mixed there and then pumped to the tank. easy peasy!! no lifting, carrying or moving buckets, only have to do that for the 30G nano upstairs.

heres a few pics:

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

ttabbal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop the ATO pump in the saltwater bucket, set the skimmer to run wet, and open the skimmer drain. Come back a few hours later and switch it all back. Easy, and helps keep the skimmer neck clean. :)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do a 50g water change in a half hour. But my 180 show tank is in my dining room, and it is plumbed to the rest of the system in my basement. What are your logistics?

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, i just did a WC the other day and took a few pics, because it was so easy!!
I use a pvc rig to remove the water from tank, it goes straight into the toilet. the open suction for the pvc is at the ideal level for 25G removal. then I have a mixing/rodi storage station in the bathroom about 20-25' from the tank. everything is mixed there and then pumped to the tank. easy peasy!! no lifting, carrying or moving buckets, only have to do that for the 30G nano upstairs.

heres a few pics:

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

This is pretty genius. I know what I am doing this week! This is going to make my water changes so much easier.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydrofil pump mounted inside the stand with the return line bracket to sump area.
All i do is put the mounted hose in bucket and flip a switch from the power bar. Finished, just roll up the hose and hang it back on a hook in stand.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my QT water changer. I think the most QTs I had going at one time was 7. I needed a cheap, easy and safe way to change between 1-5 gallons in a 10 gallon tank. I included the word "safe" because what I was doing up to this point was not. It seems you should not multi-task during a water change that has the potential to empty your tank. I've completely empty a tank and found the fish all ticked off in the bottom. One time I had rigid tubing sitting in there draining water and it fell out with the weight of the tubing and took a seahorse with it.

I made a set of these for every tank. I start the siphon and leave, knowing it will empty only what I want it to and it won't fall out of the tank.

change.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back