EasySPS food

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the same strains. The amount of phyto is different though, and their purpose is different as well. EasyBooster is designed to feed zooplankton and microfauna in the tank, while the phyto in EasySPS is integrated into the zooplankton for its antioxidant and misc properties.
I took that from the Coralvue Q&A with @Luis Easyreefs , or at least tried to. Thanks for the correction.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody detail the difference between using SPS EVO and phytoplankton you would buy at your LFS where you fill up whatever volume they have growing in culture?
You got a whole page on the rest of your post, figured I'd attempt this part. :D EVO is primarily a zooplankton product, although it also contains phyto. Primary ingredient is a type of shrimp (Palaemonetes spp.) that they dehydrate and mill down to the 2-4 micron range and suspend in gel.

Booster is 100% phyto, though. The main difference between it and LFS phyto is shelf stability. Booster is naturally-preserved and sealed in a foil packet to be directly dosed to your tank. It gets slowly slurped out by a dosing pump. If you do it right, the contents of the bag will never be exposed to air (and therefore spoilage).

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took that from the Coralvue Q&A with @Luis Easyreefs , or at least tried to. Thanks for the correction.
Np! Luis made a post about it a while back. A lot of us were wondering why run both EvoSPS and Easybooster when EvoSPS seemed to have mostly the same phyto (excluding nannochlorpsis).

Here's his direct quote.

Hello,
Easybooster is a mixture of “only” microalgae designed to enhance the trophic chain of the aquarium from the base. That is, it feeds the phytophagous population of the aquarium. The incorporation of Nannochloropsis in Easybooster is due to the fact that it causes the production of a digestive enzyme in the zooplankton that consumes it. This enzyme is transmitted to animals that have been fed with this zooplankton and is highly beneficial for the maintenance in perfect condition of the digestive system. It even helps in the maturation of the intestine of fish larvae.

The Easysps has been developed to emulate the zooplankton that has been fed on microalgae. We integrate by cold extrusion, about 10% of microalgae together with the Palaemonetes and micronize it in a range of particles ranging from 0.2 microns to 400 microns. (40% < 0.2 - 60 microns - 50% <200 microns - 10% > microns). This range allows most corals to catch the food.

The microalgae and their most important bioactive function that we incorporate in the Easysps are:

Tetraselmis chuii (TetraSOD)… TetraSOS is a patent of ours and it is very rich in antioxidant Superoxide Dismutase.

Isochrysis galbana… very rich in fatty acids DHA.

Phaeodactylum tricornutum… characterized for its high content in bioactive molecules such as EPA omega-3 fatty acid, fucoxanthin carotenoid pigment, and cruciolaminarin, a b-glucan polysaccharide.

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5 of Booster/ SPSEvo and I can see the increase in Alk consumption. Had to crank up the Calcium Reactor.
8A7F41CA-EAF9-4F4E-B667-B05F68BCF4AF.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anybody detail the difference between using SPS EVO and phytoplankton you would buy at your LFS where you fill up whatever volume they have growing in culture?

I'm currently dosing only acropower and phosphate to my system. Looking for further recommendations on ways to improve.

Right now I have a need for dosing: 1. PO4, 2. Acropower, 3. TM AFR, 4. NOPOX. Also interested in knowing what the best 4 head dosing pump is. Looking at GHL. Wanting something that I can control from my phone as a standalone unit.
Sps Evo is zooplankton essentially with a few types of phyto included. It's a complete food source for sps, whereas phyto feeds other micro fauna, which in turn may become food for sps.
As for a quality doser, I've only used GHL and would never use anything else, but that's just me. Once calibrated, they are super accurate and give plenty of dosing options, times, amounts (very small increments), etc. I control, dose from my phone with ease.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Booster and EasySPS products. I was initially only using the Booster and noticed a visible increase in the microfauna population (cocepods) which my Mandarin loves ;Happy.

Towards the end of June I replaced my amino dosing (Fauna Marin AMIN) with the EasySPS as I was informed that the aminos in the zooplankton in the EasySPS would readily supply the necessary amino acids that the corals do not produce themselves. So far corals have been very happy, with good growth and colouration.

My only complaint is the packaging of the EasySPS prof. The EasySPS bag differs from the Booster Prof bag. Here are the two side by side:

EasyBooster & SPS.jpeg

As you can see, the tops of the bags where you hang them are different. Because of the way the EasySPS bag hangs, when the liquid level gets low it no longer can exit through the tap because the angle of the side of the bag where the tap is attached is such that the tap is now no longer touching the liquid in the bag. I noticed that the dosing tube was empty when there was still product in the bag. Once I moved the bag to the edge of a shelf for the bottom to sit on, then product started going down the tube again.

The design of the Booster bag is such that the front of the bag where the tap is remains vertical and I don't have this issue.

Why not have the same design for both bags?

I must admit that I've only finished one bag of the EasySPS so far so maybe it was just a fluke. I'll see if the same thing happens when my current bag gets towards empty...

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think it would be ok to have the dosing tube outlet under water or would it mix in the tube? I want to dose it into my sump but was thinking i could run it down into the inlet of my return pump so that none is wasted.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you guys think it would be ok to have the dosing tube outlet under water or would it mix in the tube? I want to dose it into my sump but was thinking i could run it down into the inlet of my return pump so that none is wasted.
No, dosing tubes should always be above the water. As long as it drops in water, it’s not wasted and will be utilized. There’s nothing in your sump or anywhere in your tank that will instantly suck it up.

cklayko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is anyone dosing EasySPS in their own dosing containers? I'm not keen on spending $30 for an adapter but not sure if there is sensitivity to light or a non-sealed container. thoughts?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is anyone dosing EasySPS in their own dosing containers? I'm not keen on spending $30 for an adapter but not sure if there is sensitivity to light or a non-sealed container. thoughts?
Honestly, it's not that bad, but completely understand. You only have to buy it once and you're good. It's really plug and play, and designed to be extruded from the bag.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it's not that bad, but completely understand. You only have to buy it once and you're good. It's really plug and play, and designed to be extruded from the bag.

I just got mine and connected the adapter for the 1st time. Little scary since there were no instructions on hand.
I agree about the cost, but it saves money in the long run.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 1ml per 10 US gallon of Easy SPS evo. I am curious if people have seen an increase of nitrate or phosphate while using Esay SPS evo?
I carbon dose. Prior to using Easy SPS evo my no3 were 0.25 and po4 0.05. After feeding, my no3 is still around 0.25, but po4 up to 0.11...

Can anyone else share what they saw with no3 and po4 levels?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the outlets from the tubes from the dosing pumps at the intake to the return pumps. At the moment we run a temporary aquarium with lots of holding tanks connected to the same sumps and fed by the same return pumps. This way all tanks gets some EasyBooster/SPS.
Worked well for about two years now. But of course we have to check the tubes now and then. Never had problems at the outlet, but a couple of times at the dosing pump and at the connection to the bag.

No, dosing tubes should always be above the water. As long as it drops in water, it’s not wasted and will be utilized. There’s nothing in your sump or anywhere in your tank that will instantly suck it up.
Whould you like to explain the reasons for that(tubes above the water). Thanks! :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am dosing 1ml per 10 US gallon of Easy SPS evo. I am curious if people have seen an increase of nitrate or phosphate while using Esay SPS evo?
I carbon dose. Prior to using Easy SPS evo my no3 were 0.25 and po4 0.05. After feeding, my no3 is still around 0.25, but po4 up to 0.11...

Can anyone else share what they saw with no3 and po4 levels?
My PO4 is kinda high from feeding a lot and having too many fish, but I just re-homed my foxface, so hopefully it will come down a little? I'm only dosing 6mL (of Evo and EasyBooster) a day into my 90g. I believe the daily recommended dose is 1mL per 16.5g. They also recommend that you start at a 1/4 dose and work your way up slowly. You can back off a little, then slowly increase if you feel your PO4 is too high?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back