Ecotech’s Grease Improves Reliability?

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that we know Ecotech uses Molykote 111 to lubricate their MP's. Has anyone had a positive or negative experience using the Molykote 111 or similar lube?

I've been taking my MP40 apart, cleaning it in a citric acid bath for 30 minutes, wiping all the components down, and then lubing the base of the ceramic disk and a very light coating on the spindle.

I've been doing this about every two months with zero issues with the wet-side. My MP is only about 6 months old, so my experience with the MP's is limited.

Take care all :)

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to hear it. I asked the question a few months back and nobody had an answer about what if anything lubricant should be used on the MP's.

This is just a follow-up to my original question about what Ecotech was using in their MP's. It was just a break-in lubricant of an unknown product as was said prior.

I'd like to know if people had bad experiences with the MP's not using the molykote 111 lubricant vs. using it. Has the lubricant resolved any of the wet-side issues that seemed to run pretty common here.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to hear it. I asked the question a few months back and nobody had an answer about what if anything lubricant should be used on the MP's.

This is just a follow-up to my original question about what Ecotech was using in their MP's. It was just a break-in lubricant of an unknown product as was said prior.

I'd like to know if people had bad experiences with the MP's not using the molykote 111 lubricant vs. using it. Has the lubricant resolved any of the wet-side issues that seemed to run pretty common here.
Oh yea without it ive had 3 wetsides ceramic shafts crumble apart.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a tube of this stuff when I saw them finally reply. Seems to work great. A single tube is gonna last a lifetime.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear it! The Molykote 111 seems to have made a difference for the better. No down-sides yet reported. ;Happy

Gotta wonder how many more Ecotech MP's they might sell because of a possible improvement in durability. I know that has been a big concern over time because of wet-side issues reported here.

andarre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you guys, sorry to bring this back but I don't want to start a thread of my own for this... I used some molykote 111 on my 2 MP10's this weekend (saturday) and since then, my skimmer won't produce skimmate at all, it just sits there and bubbles away like a boiling pot but none of it builds up. Only thing I did was add the molykote to the shaft and underneath the magnet.

Could I have used too much and now it's in the water affecting my skimmer's production? How do I get rid of it? I wiped off what I applied yesterday with paper towels and didn't see any real residue left over. I also know that I have plenty of DOC in the water and waste for the skimmer to pick up so that wouldn't be it...

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any kind of oil or grease can change the water chemistry just enough to make the skimmer respond negatively. I dont know if its surface tension its affecting or something else.

Kinda like putting your finger into a foaming rootbeer after you just poured it.
Watch how quick the bubbles disappear from the oil on your skin :)

Back