Ecotech battery backup universal?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to get hit by hurricane Ian, is the ecotech power backup only for ecotech pumps or is it universal??? I know I can build one cheap but I don't have time to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get hit by a cat 3 hurricane no battery back up is going to keep your reef tank going long enough.

And yes ecotech only.
I live on the east coast. I will only get winds, my city installed re-enforced hurricane power lines and we are first up for repair because I share power with a firehouse. As of right now I'm looking for a generator but they are all sold out. I just bought an icecap power supply. I'm desperate. My generator broke like 3 weeks before the announcement of Ian, horrible timing...

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you order a generator delivered in time?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly an emergency- yet! And no- it is (.. sadly!) not universal!

What sort of power heads do you have? :) There is a number of good solutions out there- and quite a few build threads here on R2R on how to do a DIY solution!

All the best- and take care! Hope you manage!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the east coast. I will only get winds, my city installed re-enforced hurricane power lines and we are first up for repair because I share power with a firehouse. As of right now I'm looking for a generator but they are all sold out. I just bought an icecap power supply. I'm desperate. My generator broke like 3 weeks before the announcement of Ian, horrible timing...
What about running an inverter from your car?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about running an inverter from your car?
I do have one of those, we have a pickup truck. I could use that although I did buy the power Bank from my lfs. But I know it won't last forever a generator is more ideal. I completely forgot about that until you said something thank you.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when i started my tank i got the biggest generator i could afford and have the plug that goes into the breaker. Im in SE NC so im watching this storm closely.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some big air stone pumps that run on battery. You plug it in and when power goes, it turns on. I bought 3 huge ones that run on 4 D batteries. Even a bunch of small ones can be used in an emergency.

When power goes out, I place airstones in each tank. Ea unit has 2 outlets. That keeps water movement at least. The echotec will will last over 30 hrs for 1 mp40 I think.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some big air stone pumps that run on battery. You plug it in and when power goes, it turns on. I bought 3 huge ones that run on 4 D batteries. Even a bunch of small ones can be used in an emergency.

When power goes out, I place airstones in each tank. Ea unit has 2 outlets. That keeps water movement at least. The echotec will will last over 30 hrs for 1 mp40 I think.
I ended up buying the icecap v3. I'm still looking for a generator. I guess many people around me have fish? Walmart was all sold out of pumps and so was my LFS

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying the icecap v3. I'm still looking for a generator. I guess many people around me have fish? Walmart was all sold out of pumps and so was my LFS
amazon can prob. get you a couple battery air stone pumps overnight.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried, all drivers are shut down starting today. All mail service is too. But SOMEHOW schools are still open. Insane
ugh. Well, research and find what you want and either order anyway to have on hand next time or save it to order. In fact I need to order more D batteries!!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh. Well, research and find what you want and either order anyway to have on hand next time or save it to order. In fact I need to order more D batteries!!
Well, not sure where you're located, but if in Florida or neighboring east coast states, stay safe and good luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back