Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have one? Did you tear one down? Video proof of your claims? Or just speculation ? Your making definitive statements with zero evidence to back those up. I'm sure everyone else, just like me would love to see your video data.
There is video evidence of the manufacturing in Pa and statements of source of parts already provided in this thread. Your recant was a proofless statement that it is no longer the case and Ecotech has changed manufacturing location due to Bertram aquisition.

There is also a first hand account of the a360x counterfeit being nothing but an external copy with no functional similarity to the genuine light.

You have provided no evidence to the contrary of the above, yet you have continually advocated for this counterfeit manufacturer. The burden of proof lies on you. To prove your speculation, you need to provide evidence. Otherwise you are just defaming Ecotech and leading fellow reefers to believe your fake news.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it seems to me that we look at this from wrong angle...

We all talk original vs copy, but....

Lets start from beginning.... When manufactured, any led light, no matter where is produced, by who, is 50$ product. (don't quote me on exact value/cost, this is for illustrative purpose)...

So, 50$.... where in hell they find 500+$ value?

Simple..... As soon as this product is put into some fancy box, and on it someone print label "radion", "philips", "ati", "whocareswhat".... all of sudden, it's 200$ product.

In that difference, you pay a) name, b)warranty c)marketing. Another 100$ goes to software, aka app to run that unit.

So, here we are at 300$.... add taxes, add profit for someone who sells it in retail, and voila 500+$ light.

You pay for name, you pay for any possible future problems, warranty, replacements, no matter will u ever need it or not, someone will, companies don't replace units because they are good in heart, that replacement cost is already calculated in cost that end user pay.

One thing is also calculated - marketing, promotion, free samples to reefers, youtubers, celebrity, who will, then, spread the word around world, preaching gospel about "some company some product" superiority.

Chinese, or any other company simply don't do that..... They are requesting leap of faith from buyers, to cash out some more or less serious money, and try for themselves that product.

Is the product good? Is it better than "some company some product"? Is it total garbage? Nobody knows, there is no serious amount of happy or unhappy customers, no trustworthy source to tell the world about this or that product.

Even if it's a copy, rip off, it still can be better 10 times, cheaper 10 times than "some company some product". Why not? Really, there is no reason.

But again, who would trust me, or some random internet dude, who claims that this is superior and cheap product?

On the other hand, all u need is one "reputable" person, who newer seen or use such product to say "hey, its Chinese copy".... and, public opinion in second swings to "garbage" end of scale....

If some Chinese company, or any other small manufactures goes this route, and give 10,20,50,100 units to some random people on forums, YouTube, to do honest review, test, and when reports of these people are available, then we will know, at some degree of certainty is this product good, bad, or just ugly ;)

One, two or three people who take leap of faith and purchase some product simply don't have credibility versus army of "some company some product" fans/users.... for waste majority of reefers, that is...

Of course, some random manufacturer will not take this route, they goal isn't to sell gazillions of units, or even produce that number, they are happy with 10,20, 50 units that they advertise on ebay, alibaba, or some similar site... when, and if all of them is sold, they will make another 10,20,50 units, and they are happy....
I completely agree! The lights I use are a great example.

The ledzeal.com mirage x200 and x300.
These are wifi app controlled, and with the superblue layout are similar to the new g6 layout.

These lights are very powerful, as 4 of the x200 light my sps 8x3x2 400g easily. Actually I only run them at a peak intensity of 35% per channel.

The 4 lights were about 1300.00 delivered to my door.

Now they have a 3 year warranty in which they will ship repair parts free of charge or if need be entire replacement units.

They have a crap website, no marketing, and take a real leap of faith by a customer. By doing so you save a ton of money and have a light that is very capable.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is video evidence of the manufacturing in Pa and statements of source of parts already provided in this thread. Your recant was a proofless statement that it is no longer the case and Ecotech has changed manufacturing location due to Bertram aquisition.

There is also a first hand account of the a360x counterfeit being nothing but an external copy with no functional similarity to the genuine light.

You have provided no evidence to the contrary of the above, yet you have continually advocated for this counterfeit manufacturer. The burden of proof lies on you. To prove your speculation, you need to provide evidence. Otherwise you are just defaming Ecotech and leading fellow reefers to believe your fake news.
That video evidence of them being assembled is pre apature take over for one, and really is evidence of the fact they are not manufactured in the USA, just like that labels on the lights and boxes. You want to pay more for a box that's great, but don't make false claims to try and influence others to do the same.

Are you afraid someone will achieve the same exact results with a knockoff as with the name brand for a fraction of the cost?

My belief is if the radion was MANUFACTURED in the USA then the Chinese copy would be a rip-off, but since they exported the intellectual property for profit then they deserve the competition via clone.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very often i like to imagine how would my tank look if someone give me..., radions, hydras, or anything instead lights i use, as they are cheaper, as you call them knock offs, copies, or just "inspired".....

And by geneal opinion, mainly mine, i have good looking tanks, corals are growin, lookin great, softies, zoas, lps... Even had one stylophora, also doing great, so far, even if i'm not fan of sps..

So, if cheap lights are limiting factor in my case.... Cant help myself for wondering and daydreaming what i could have, only if i have more money.... ;)

Or, maybe things arent that simple? ;)

Guess i will newer find out...

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
they exported the intellectual property for profit
That video evidence of them being assembled is pre apature take over for one

This is the part you need to prove. #1 that their process has changed after the investment and #2 that they now export the IP. The defacto state is that they do all design work here and follow standard manufacturing protocol of simple subcomponents (ex case) being made by an external, but all sensitive components (ex boards) are manufactured in house. The burden of proving these things is on you because you are asserting that it is now different. There is no business logic in exporting production of the boards after they have invested the capital into the chip placement and soldering equipment.

I don't care what people use. You can have a very nice tank on a small budget or a garbage tank on a large budget. T5 with a prime is a great combo... MH work just fine. LEDs bars from alibaba... sure.

The point here is not whether the light works or does not. It is that you are making unsubstantiated claims about a company that has done a lot for the hobby by continually asserting that they "deserve what they get for outsourcing" with no evidence of the outsourcing..

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the part you need to prove. #1 that their process has changed after the investment and #2 that they now export the IP. The defacto state is that they do all design work here and follow standard manufacturing protocol of simple subcomponents (ex case) being made by an external, but all sensitive components (ex boards) are manufactured in house. The burden of proving these things is on you because you are asserting that it is now different. There is no business logic in exporting production of the boards after they have invested the capital into the chip placement and soldering equipment.

I don't care what people use. You can have a very nice tank on a small budget or a garbage tank on a large budget. T5 with a prime is a great combo... MH work just fine. LEDs bars from alibaba... sure.

The point here is not whether the light works or does not. It is that you are making unsubstantiated claims about a company that has done a lot for the hobby by continually asserting that they "deserve what they get for outsourcing" with no evidence of the outsourcing..
Burden of proof is on you, as your the one claiming to know exactly what the radions manufacturing process is, sources of materials, where components are manufactured, how many different locations each come from ect. ALSO you made claims that the knockoff has inferior wiring, leds ect as a statement of fact.

All I've said and continue to say is you have no idea where the parts for the radion come from, how many locations, how much is actually assembled in house ect unless you work for them, owned ecotech ect. That vid you keep referring to doesn't show hardly anything other then a few component parts spread out on a table.

I'm positive they sell more lights then can be assembled on that table to keep up with demand.

Now if you were not so defensive of the brand you would realize that I've been consistent with the statements that you really don't know as much as your trying to pretend you do unless A , you can provide video or product build sheet with component sources ect, or B, a side by side teardown video.

Anything less and all your doing is making guesses and misleading claims.

Last edited by a moderator:

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Burden of proof is on you, as your the one claiming to know exactly what the radions manufacturing process is, sources of materials, where components are manufactured, how many different locations each come from ect. ALSO you made claims that the knockoff has inferior wiring, leds ect as a statement of fact.

All I've said and continue to say is you have no friggin idea where the parts for the radion come from, how many locations, how much is actually assembled in house ect unless you work for them, owned ecotech ect. That vid you keep referring to doesn't show hardly anything other then a few component parts spread out on a table.

I'm positive they sell more lights then can be assembled on that table to keep up with demand.

Now if you were not so defensive of the brand you would realize that I've been consistent with the statements that you really don't know as much as your trying to pretend you do unless A , you can provide video or product build sheet with component sources ect, or B, a side by side teardown video.

Anything less and all your doing is making guesses and misleading claims.
So... did you buy one and are we going to get a breakdown here?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any electronic device consisting of semiconductors and/or PCB’s, regardless of whether it’s an LED light, smartphone, etc, has components made in multiple countries, from raw materials sourced from even more countries. And, the vast majority of all components will be manufactured in China. This is not speculation, those of us that worked in the semiconductor industry know that the facilities to produce most types of LEDs, PCB’s, and semiconductors of all kinds only exist in China (with India and Vietnam slowly becoming the exception to that rule).

I’m not making a case as to where any given light may or may not be assembled, but the majority of the components inside must come from China because semiconductor fabrication barely exists outside of China.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger news is that they have an alternative to the forward-tilting rms arm mount!
I wonder if it’s any better. I mean, it can’t be worse!
Looks like two kessil A-series arm mounts with a different attachment for radions.

Iccis Linn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone buy this light? How was it?
I haven't try A8 but I got A7. Their first very kessil A360 knock off. I run for 1 yr. Love the light. Serious quality in hardware but it's Abit hard to learn their apps in beginning but after a few time it's get easier.
I run 2 of A7 with 3 viparspectra for my 5x2x2
Just simple budget tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-225133.png
    Screenshot_20220928-225133.png
    367.4 KB · Views: 161

Fa Fa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't try A8 but I got A7. Their first very kessil A360 knock off. I run for 1 yr. Love the light. Serious quality in hardware but it's Abit hard to learn their apps in beginning but after a few time it's get easier.
I run 2 of A7 with 3 viparspectra for my 5x2x2
Just simple budget tank.
did the app of A7 support English Language ?

Iccis Linn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did the app of A7 support English Language ?
The setting and everything except wifi connection set up is in eng.
80% English
You've to play around Abit to understand in the beginning to set up connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221011-010520.png
    Screenshot_20221011-010520.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20221011-010535.png
    Screenshot_20221011-010535.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 144

Iccis Linn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine if the app is more reliable than mobius :face-with-tears-of-joy: :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Totally possible with how much mobius times out!
Pretty good stuffs I would say, I prefer A7 over A8. Coz it's $120 for wifi control good quality kessil copy is worth it but I think A8 is $350 for 200w, a bit expensive. They could totally sell it around 250 - 300 ish.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good stuffs I would say, I prefer A7 over A8. Coz it's $120 for wifi control good quality kessil copy is worth it but I think A8 is $350 for 200w, a bit expensive. They could totally sell it around 250 - 300 ish.
The Chinese never cease to amaze me..
Light1
Light2
Light3

Sorry orig post was just too messy..

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another emerging product/service from China is small workshop customized LEDs. Owned and operated by individual, who sources reputable parts and does the assembly.

What you get at the end of the day is low(er) cost, good specs, and direct service from the guy making the light set.

If I want a bit more Violet and less green spectrum? Sure!, if I want to make my light 5 cm longer to cover my odd sized tank? Sure! If I want to have quartz glass instead of acrylic cover? Sure.

It end up being a boutique-like experience, with a much lower price than comparable named brands.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back