Ecotech Radion G5 Speculation

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC's 900g display has 12 radions. Yes that is a lot, however with a tank foot print of 12' x 4', that is one for every 4 sq/ft. Yes they also have T5 but only 6 - 4' bulbs for the entire tank. Considering that all of the lights are mounted 24" above the water's surface, it just goes to show how little light is required from these fixtures for amazing results.

Um... how do you figure 12 radions? I had a long talk with the guys there and they even showed me. There are 5 units there, not 12.

You're talking about the long sps tank along the wall as you walk in correct? Sits parallel with the checkout counter?

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um... how do you figure 12 radions? I had a long talk with the guys there and they even showed me. There are 5 units there, not 12.

You're talking about the long sps tank along the wall as you walk in correct? Sits parallel with the checkout counter?

Nope... he's talking about the 12ft 900g display they have in the back farm. Not many people get to see it unless they let you in the back

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, @Reefer525XL is correct. I am talking about the 900g in the back. That tank was about 50 feet away and you didn't even realize it! You are correct that the front tank only had 5 which in itself is amazing!!!

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did the Radion G4 come out? I'm also doing another tank build around march of 2018 so should I wait for the Radion G5 or just get the G4?

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbyists and non-hobbyists run the G3 and G4 with success. At this point its how one performs at reefing, patience, and husbandry, not how high tech they are. The NEW diffuser brings life back into the G3 Pro.
I just look at a tank I like and copy it.
Not sure why all the excitement for a $900 G5 Pro when the G3 and G4 are working so well for many.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh c’mon... we all know that the moment the G5’s come out, the G4s will cease to be effective at growing coral... ;)

The disease of upgrade - itis runs strong in our hobby! :D

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll be in the market for some new lights next year some time -- hoping to get a G5 upgrade that has a better interface

G1 - September 2011
G2 - November 2012 (14 months)
G3 - January 2014 (15 months)
G4 - August 2016 (17 months
G5 - Should be late 2018 or early 2019

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you all don’t mind a question about a different Manufacturer. Is Kessil planning an upgrade of the AP700? I was wanting to get the 700’s for my new tank and saw that they had been on sale for the past couple of months. Thanks

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unless a company is going out of business, they are planning an upgrade. When it could be released -- no one really knows. The AP700 isn't terribly old, and we don't have historical data on any predecessors, so there is no way to judge. Ecotech and Kessil both have secret spies that keep them even in terms of specs, release cycles etc.

Macna in September should tell all. Most releases have been in the late fall or winter, so if something is coming out -- we'll know then.

Lance Reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see Ecotech ditch the red and green LED's and put extra of the LED's that people actually use...also include the diffuser on the Gen 5 and app link without Reeflink would be nice - but those two things are nice cash cow's so I won't hold my breath...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back