EcoTech Versa Dosing Pump for Automatic Water Changes

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim at EcoTech

Initial review on the versa dosing pumps for Automatic Water Changes (AWC) is a good one.

Writing this review, because I have not been able to find one on here of anyone setting it up and using it for AWC. Maybe this will help a couple of people out.

I set these up for an AWC on my FOWLR tank that does not have an APEX on it, so this was the only choice I had IMO.
Right out of the box the product was in good shape and seems super solid for being such a small product. I plugged them in, downloaded the Mobius App, and the devices appeared right away. It took about 30 second for the app to update the firmware on the 2 pumps. After complete I took them out to the garage to set them up. Used the back side of the plate and screwed into the wall. After doing so, the pump would not seat all the way down. I tried loosening the screws, I did everything. Still could not get them to seat all the way down the way they were supposed to. They are secured enough for Government work though.

I used the RO tubing because It makes more sense for me to use them in this application. I ran the tubing. The New saltwater line runs 3 feet up, 8 feet over, 90 degree turn, 15 feet over, 6 feet down, 90 degree turn through the wall, and then about 2-3 feet of bend going into my sump. I mounted it, 5 inches above my water line in my sump. The old saltwater line, comes about 2-3 feet through the wall, 90 degree turn, 6 feet up, 20 feet over, and 4 feet down into my laundry room drain line. I calibrated each line separately at the actual point where the water would come out. Both pretty spot on.

During priming of the pumps, ( with them running full speed it was pretty loud (in my garage I don’t care) but after calibration, I set them to do 1 gallon an hour for 3 hours to test everything out and the pumps where dead silent. So with 100% certainty at 63 ML a minute the pumps are silent.

Overall Pros
Easy to set up, took 10 minutes
Murlock line fit on tight, no leaks
App connected lighting fast.
Customer Service (talk about that in a second)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving on to the Cons

There is no real instructions on the EcoTech website, with the pump, or on the app. So while easy to use, I was not 100% sure I was doing things correctly. Was not sure how to prime the pumps (figured it out), or how to calibrate (also able to figure it out) but no step by step to ensure that I am doing it correctly.

There is no application labeled AWC inside the app. Without this my concern was that the pumps would not be running at the exact same time at the exact same dose.
While configuring the pumps, it asks you what the container volume is. My initial thought is that it would shut off if it hit that. That’s not true. It will only give you a warning that you container is almost empty.
There is no way to set the pump to run for a specific time and shut off. What I mean by this, is I will need to make new saltwater every two weeks. I would like the ability to schedule the AWC to only change water Monday – Saturday so on Sundays I can do maint and make new saltwater.

-----------------------------------------------
Now to my final pro, EcoTech customer service is the best in the business hands down. (Maybe BRS, but talking brand specific) I called EcoTech and after only being on hold a few minutes I talked with Cade at EcoTech. He assured me that the pumps will run on the same schedule as long as they are set at the exact same time, and answered about 5 more questions I had. I have used EcoTech customer service before and have always been flat out impressed.
I do believe that EcoTech is doing the right thing by releasing the Mobius platform with functions that 100% work, and then slowly add all the other functions to it to ensure there are no issues. Soon I believe the Mobius app will work with MP 40’s, and XR lights of older models. I also believe that they will add Wifi availability in the future.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome review, thank you! Great input on features to add relating specifically to water changes such as an actual water change mode, the ability to stop the pump after a certain amount of volume, etc. Will make sure the software guys see this.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for posting this is great info. Waiting on my versa and cant wait. Mainly looking forward to dosing alk with it. I'm currently using DOS for AWC. If I want to skip a few days I just turn off the power to it. Can you do a similar thing with versa?

OP
OP
A

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I actually found a digital timer on amazon last night for 15 dollars that can be programmed day by day and has two plug outlets. So going to just have it turned off on sundays

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the Versa now for 3 weeks on a continuous AWC, rock solid (2.5 gpd). Did have the fitting leak issue out of the box but was handled ASAP.

I have some level switched programmed to shut off power on high/low and also major swing in salinity. @Tim at EcoTech assuming the Versa retains the date and time for x period of time if power is lost to the unit?

Also has the same question in regards to just putting it on a timer (or APEX plug) if set to continuous the Versa would immediately turn on and dose at the setpoint.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review. I think had I seen it beforehand it would have helped me get mine going. I eventually figured it out and since then has been awesome (makes me wonder why I didn't do like 10 years ago!)
I too had the leak issue on one of my Versa's and EcoTech took care of it super fast and easy.
I actually submitted the issue via the Mobius app - that worked great.

I do wish there were quick tutorials online, that would make life much easier; at the least the app is intuitive to me.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list of fans for Versas doing AWC. Running on 3.5 gallons/day continuous for 5+ weeks and have been spot on. To top it off they are absolutely silent in my usage case. Couldn’t be happier!

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list of fans for Versas doing AWC. Running on 3.5 gallons/day continuous for 5+ weeks and have been spot on. To top it off they are absolutely silent in my usage case. Couldn’t be happier!
Can you post screen shots of your setup in Mobius?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post screen shots of your setup in Mobius?

Sure, let me know if you need anything else
ABFD9BB0-53CC-46E3-AC44-88DBEB326090.png
3101CF91-E45F-43D2-BBE2-8419A264DFDE.png

8A6F5215-C0F0-4587-AFD2-B58F99B200EA.png

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I currently have mine set to dose a set amount: 5Gal in 2hrs.
But mine is currently a temp setup, I need to use this "downtime" to run the tubing from the tank under the house, into the garage and pull directly from my mixing/holding brute.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been several months now, can you provide an update on the accuracy and consistency of using the Versa pumps for AWC's? Have you noticed any shifts in Salinity that you would attribute to the pumps not pulling/pushing water evenly between pumps?

I'm considering getting these for AWC's but they've been out of stock and impossible to get for months it seems.

@Tim at EcoTech

Initial review on the versa dosing pumps for Automatic Water Changes (AWC) is a good one.

Writing this review, because I have not been able to find one on here of anyone setting it up and using it for AWC. Maybe this will help a couple of people out.

I set these up for an AWC on my FOWLR tank that does not have an APEX on it, so this was the only choice I had IMO.
Right out of the box the product was in good shape and seems super solid for being such a small product. I plugged them in, downloaded the Mobius App, and the devices appeared right away. It took about 30 second for the app to update the firmware on the 2 pumps. After complete I took them out to the garage to set them up. Used the back side of the plate and screwed into the wall. After doing so, the pump would not seat all the way down. I tried loosening the screws, I did everything. Still could not get them to seat all the way down the way they were supposed to. They are secured enough for Government work though.

I used the RO tubing because It makes more sense for me to use them in this application. I ran the tubing. The New saltwater line runs 3 feet up, 8 feet over, 90 degree turn, 15 feet over, 6 feet down, 90 degree turn through the wall, and then about 2-3 feet of bend going into my sump. I mounted it, 5 inches above my water line in my sump. The old saltwater line, comes about 2-3 feet through the wall, 90 degree turn, 6 feet up, 20 feet over, and 4 feet down into my laundry room drain line. I calibrated each line separately at the actual point where the water would come out. Both pretty spot on.

During priming of the pumps, ( with them running full speed it was pretty loud (in my garage I don’t care) but after calibration, I set them to do 1 gallon an hour for 3 hours to test everything out and the pumps where dead silent. So with 100% certainty at 63 ML a minute the pumps are silent.

Overall Pros
Easy to set up, took 10 minutes
Murlock line fit on tight, no leaks
App connected lighting fast.
Customer Service (talk about that in a second)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving on to the Cons

There is no real instructions on the EcoTech website, with the pump, or on the app. So while easy to use, I was not 100% sure I was doing things correctly. Was not sure how to prime the pumps (figured it out), or how to calibrate (also able to figure it out) but no step by step to ensure that I am doing it correctly.

There is no application labeled AWC inside the app. Without this my concern was that the pumps would not be running at the exact same time at the exact same dose.
While configuring the pumps, it asks you what the container volume is. My initial thought is that it would shut off if it hit that. That’s not true. It will only give you a warning that you container is almost empty.
There is no way to set the pump to run for a specific time and shut off. What I mean by this, is I will need to make new saltwater every two weeks. I would like the ability to schedule the AWC to only change water Monday – Saturday so on Sundays I can do maint and make new saltwater.

-----------------------------------------------
Now to my final pro, EcoTech customer service is the best in the business hands down. (Maybe BRS, but talking brand specific) I called EcoTech and after only being on hold a few minutes I talked with Cade at EcoTech. He assured me that the pumps will run on the same schedule as long as they are set at the exact same time, and answered about 5 more questions I had. I have used EcoTech customer service before and have always been flat out impressed.
I do believe that EcoTech is doing the right thing by releasing the Mobius platform with functions that 100% work, and then slowly add all the other functions to it to ensure there are no issues. Soon I believe the Mobius app will work with MP 40’s, and XR lights of older models. I also believe that they will add Wifi availability in the future.

OP
OP
A

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been several months now, can you provide an update on the accuracy and consistency of using the Versa pumps for AWC's? Have you noticed any shifts in Salinity that you would attribute to the pumps not pulling/pushing water evenly between pumps?

I'm considering getting these for AWC's but they've been out of stock and impossible to get for months it seems.
BlackStallion

No issues at all and has worked as advertised. I have checked calibration on them three times since I installed them, once they were .5 ml off but quickly calibrated it and back to work. I have them set to do 2 gallons a day over a 24 hour period, but just recently I set it to do 20 gallons in 4 hours as I needed to empty the container for maintenance and my auto top off never went off.... so ill count that as good. ill also mention that these are mounted in my garage and I live in Florida where its been over 100 every day and still no issues with the pumps (which I was concerned about...…. a little)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right now they're hard to get, but I haven't had any issue with them... as I reported somewhere else, monthly calibration is the key to having a good awc system using peristaltic pumps.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with an Apex decide to use this for AWC versus the DOS? Was thinking of trying this to diversify a bit.
I decided to go the Versa. I have no experience with DOS. So far so good after 5 months and haven’t had major issues. Change out about 2.5 gal a day. A few notes:

1. Had to calibrate twice, so every 3 months. Noticed salinity creep up over time but nothing concerning.

2. Did have to replace my dirty water Versa tune after 4 months. Tube started to look to have build up and lose calibration. Haven’t changed the new water Versa.

I have them on an Apex outlet and program to power them off on low/high sump levels with alarms on salinity.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with an Apex decide to use this for AWC versus the DOS? Was thinking of trying this to diversify a bit.
Yes, I use 2 for awc. The benefits to using this versa vs dos is 1: the noise, and 2: the dos has preset speeds. That means that you're bound to "pump on time" to change the amount of water you want.

The versa can be set at any speed from 0-200 ml per minute. Meaning you don't have to have scheduled water changes events throughout the day, with the versa you can set the speed you want and it will pump continuously 24/7 exactly the amount of water you want to change every day.

Having it work constantly promotes tank stability.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about a year now. How is everyone's system working?

I am looking to do this on my new build and I don't have an Apex.

I am thinking of putting a water level sensor connected to a solonoid on the fresh and dirty water lines that would shut the flow off of something malfunctioned.

I am open for other suggestions on how to put some sort of failsafe on this. I do have an ato setup, but plan to have that automatically powered off when doing a water change. This will be done thru a smart plug.

OP
OP
A

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only negative thing I can say is that I have had to buy replacement pump tubing twice already for the dirty water pump. It gets nasty pretty quickly and At 17 dollars a pop, and it having to be replaced every 3-4 months, not loving that.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only negative thing I can say is that I have had to buy replacement pump tubing twice already for the dirty water pump. It gets nasty pretty quickly and At 17 dollars a pop, and it having to be replaced every 3-4 months, not loving that.
Are you still running versa for AWC? How is it going? I just got a couple for myself and I’m thinking about doing it also if so, can I /we get an update?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running versa for AWC? How is it going? I just got a couple for myself and I’m thinking about doing it also if so, can I /we get an update?
I’ve used mine since the Versas first came out, no issues. While the pump tubing gets “dirty” as mentioned above it really does matter unless it gets brittle which if you keep it lubricated it won’t. I personally change “heads” yearly.

Back