Ecotech Versa for AWC?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if when the versa is off, can/will it prevents backflow to some extent? Roughly how much backflow pressure would be needed to start leaking backwards. I am asking because I want to dose into a pipe with flow which will have pressure, pls dont ask why but do answer if you know :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if when the versa is off, can/will it prevents backflow to some extent? Roughly how much backflow pressure would be needed to start leaking backwards. I am asking because I want to dose into a pipe with flow which will have pressure, pls dont ask why but do answer if you know :)
The versa is considered a positive displacement pump, there's no concern for siphoning or backflow. IIRC the max pressure the versa can create is roughly 25psi. As long as the pressure inside the pipe is less than that, you'll be good.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks sister. Does anyone know if this can operate at low temps like 34 degrees F? I want to stick it in a fridge.

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set them up for AWC, here is the link to my review.

Nanos With A Backbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding that both pumps I have set up, after calibration, are dosing 30 and 50ml absolutely perfect. But when I ask them to dose 3785ml, or basically a gallon, over 13 mins...they are off. One fills a milk jug perfectly...and the other overflows the milk jug so much that I have to have a bucket close by to catch the remainder of water. I’ve calibrated multiple times to fix this issue with no results. They dose completely different, so much I’d worry about salinity swings after a short time. Anyone running these for AWC, I would make sure your pumps are dosing the correct amount for bigger volume your dosing and pulling. From what I’ve seen, they may be accurate for 30ml and 50ml...but not for bigger amounts of dosing like what’s needed for water changes. Also, I haven’t contacted EcoTech about this issue yet and will post what my findings are.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding that both pumps I have set up, after calibration, are dosing 30 and 50ml absolutely perfect. But when I ask them to dose 3785ml, or basically a gallon, over 13 mins...they are off. One fills a milk jug perfectly...and the other overflows the milk jug so much that I have to have a bucket close by to catch the remainder of water. I’ve calibrated multiple times to fix this issue with no results. They dose completely different, so much I’d worry about salinity swings after a short time. Anyone running these for AWC, I would make sure your pumps are dosing the correct amount for bigger volume your dosing and pulling. From what I’ve seen, they may be accurate for 30ml and 50ml...but not for bigger amounts of dosing like what’s needed for water changes. Also, I haven’t contacted EcoTech about this issue yet and will post what my findings are.
All paristaltic pumps have physical limitations due to outside forces. Speed, duration, temperature all play a part in accuracy.

When you calibrate to such a low number like 30 or 50 (in relationship to 3785), your eye may perceive 30.0 but in fact could be 29.7 or 30.3, that 0.6 difference between the 2 pumps is compounded 126 times which is a fluctuation of 75ml.

I'm not sure if you can calibrate the pump to 3785 but if that's how you're using it, I would calibrate to 1 gallon.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get the versa dose vxf but haven't found it I stock anywhere. I'm on a notify me when in stock at brs but not holding my breath. There's one on Ebay but seller has 87% positive...anyone have any Leeds on versa vxf

Nanos With A Backbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive actually weighed my samples for the 30ml and 50ml tests to increase the accuracy between the pumps. The water being used is going through the same lines, same temperature water, same house ambient temp, same speed, and same time interval. I didnt mention that ealier as I didnt think weighting your sample is a test people should have to do for a $600 dollar setup. Especially seeing how its being advertised as a AWC system with no metion of irregularities between the 2 pumps at that high of dosing. Something that should be mentioned or presented against their whole idea of plug and play. Calibrating to 30ml or 50ml simply isnt a one and done click solution. With that said even with weighting my samples... the dosers were off. I will however try calibrating to a gallon instead and see what happens with that test. It could definitely somehow be a fix for this problem. My hopes for this post was to raise awareness for those looking to do this with these pumps, and take a note that just because they get the pumps calibrated to the 30ml or 50ml marks...doesnt mean its gonna be accurate at higher levels found in a AWC setup. Something I feel is super important, like you said, that could be wayyyyyy off when your thinking of changing out a gallon of water per day or more. Thats not just salinty swings were talking about here...but also effecting other things your dosing thats being pulled out at an uneven rate.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't just check BRS. I always have better luck other places like marine depot or saltwater aquarium etc.

With that said, the vxf is in high demand, with their production halted, it will be hard to track one down. Expand your search and you may get lucky.
Checked all places all are out of stock. Guess I'll just keep checking

The Last Strider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive actually weighed my samples for the 30ml and 50ml tests to increase the accuracy between the pumps. The water being used is going through the same lines, same temperature water, same house ambient temp, same speed, and same time interval. I didnt mention that ealier as I didnt think weighting your sample is a test people should have to do for a $600 dollar setup. Especially seeing how its being advertised as a AWC system with no metion of irregularities between the 2 pumps at that high of dosing. Something that should be mentioned or presented against their whole idea of plug and play. Calibrating to 30ml or 50ml simply isnt a one and done click solution. With that said even with weighting my samples... the dosers were off. I will however try calibrating to a gallon instead and see what happens with that test. It could definitely somehow be a fix for this problem. My hopes for this post was to raise awareness for those looking to do this with these pumps, and take a note that just because they get the pumps calibrated to the 30ml or 50ml marks...doesnt mean its gonna be accurate at higher levels found in a AWC setup. Something I feel is super important, like you said, that could be wayyyyyy off when your thinking of changing out a gallon of water per day or more. Thats not just salinty swings were talking about here...but also effecting other things your dosing thats being pulled out at an uneven rate.
Glad you mentioned this! I just set mine up for AWC and was going to start tonight at 12am through 6am. I may want to do this during the day so i can keep and eye on things. During my test water change which went for about an hour at 100mil a min, everything seemed rock solid.

Thanks

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used one of these for Auto Topoff? It wouldn't exactly be auto, you'd just have to figure out how much you are evaporating per day and use it that way. Its not what I was planning on doing, but its something I've thought about

The Last Strider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used one of these for Auto Topoff? It wouldn't exactly be auto, you'd just have to figure out how much you are evaporating per day and use it that way. Its not what I was planning on doing, but its something I've thought about
Some have done it using an optical sensor and fmm module on the apex. I working on that as we speak. Will plug the vx-1 into the eb8 have the sensor turn it on/off.

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have done it using an optical sensor and fmm module on the apex. I working on that as we speak. Will plug the vx-1 into the eb8 have the sensor turn it on/off.

That sounds over my head. Lol. Was going to use the Tunze ATO but don’t know if it’s strong enough, or the power cord long enough, to fit down my almost 6’ tall water storage tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 87 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back