EcoTech Versa tube lifespan

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been using a versa with my CaRx for a while now. At first I had the same issue as a lot of ppl had. It leaked had a grinding noise and it would stall sometimes. End up getting a whole new unit.

Now at the moment I’m dosing 28ml nothing too crazy. The original tubing lasted about 3-4 months. Talked to Ecotech and they sent me a new one. Saying its should last much longer than just a few months The second tubing lasted 1 month. Same 28ml.

I emailed them and now waiting for a response. Mean while I would like to know it there are more ppl with similar issues. I’m thinking about getting the kamoer fx-stp and trash the versa

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been using a versa with my CaRx for a while now. At first I had the same issue as a lot of ppl had. It leaked had a grinding noise and it would stall sometimes. End up getting a whole new unit.

Now at the moment I’m dosing 28ml nothing too crazy. The original tubing lasted about 3-4 months. Talked to Ecotech and they sent me a new one. Saying its should last much longer than just a few months The second tubing lasted 1 month. Same 28ml.

I emailed them and now waiting for a response. Mean while I would like to know it there are more ppl with similar issues. I’m thinking about getting the kamoer fx-stp and trash the versa
What is the PH and Alk going through the tube?

What was the failure point?

Do you push or pull through your reactor?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following- I have been pushing through my reactor since May and noticed the tube is almost “mushy” and the drips are no longer consistent. I have to email them tomorrow

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the PH and Alk going through the tube?

What was the failure point?

Do you push or pull through your reactor?
It’s a 50/50. The reactor and versa is at the fish room. Next to each other. So it pulls water from the tank and pushes through the reactor back to the tank. PH is around 7.8-8.1
Failure point is the tube inside the versa. The first one the tube just went flat and harden in that shape. The second one that lasted a month is mushy like @Hydrored said.
Do you think it’s better to push or pull? I could move it and put next to my tank

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 50/50. The reactor and versa is at the fish room. Next to each other. So it pulls water from the tank and pushes through the reactor back to the tank. PH is around 7.8-8.1
Failure point is the tube inside the versa. The first one the tube just went flat and harden in that shape. The second one that lasted a month is mushy like @Hydrored said.
Do you think it’s better to push or pull? I could move it and put next to my tank
It seems really weird to me that this is doing this because you are using tank water.

What is your flow rate?

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Maybe the rollers are too tight or too loose. I don’t know. It’s running 28ml per min. I supplement the rest with 2 parts to smooth it out and help my ph. ill move the versa near the tank and push water all the way through it and see what happens.

Hopefully more ppl with the same issue will chim in

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brasileiro561 I have an idea ...

Pull the tube from the input of CaRx and measure the output using the calibrate function. Then put the tube back on and measure the output where it goes back into your tank.

I am willing to bet that the resistance from the CaRx is to much for the peristaltic pump to handle. This could be something going on with the reactor or it might just be too much, but at least you will have an answer if I am correct.

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the test. and the difference was just +1ml. after the reactor. that's with the new tubing. I now have moved the versa next to the tank. it pulls only 1' from the tank and pushes the rest. I did the same test as before and the difference was of +3ml after the reactor. i think it was the reactor pressure build up tho.

Ecotech replied my email.

"The Versa tubing is a wearable and replaceable part. Tubing lifespan will vary significantly depending on liquid chemical composition, liquid temperature, and operational mode of the pump. For example, it is recommended that the Versa be used to push water through a Calcium reactor as opposed to pulling. Calcium reactor discharge will significantly reduce the operational life of the Versa tubing."

Figured I would post that part here for feature reference for anybody that needs it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Versa tubing is a wearable and replaceable part. Tubing lifespan will vary significantly depending on liquid chemical composition, liquid temperature, and operational mode of the pump. For example, it is recommended that the Versa be used to push water through a Calcium reactor as opposed to pulling. Calcium reactor discharge will significantly reduce the operational life of the Versa tubing.

Interesting, I wonder why that would be. Abrasive, pH? I’ve run my MasterFlex both in push and in pull mode and found no difference in terms of peri tubing deterioration. In fact, the only tubing failure I had was in push mode LOL. My brief dalliance with the versa, the tubing did not seem nearly as robust as the pharmed stuff I use (and replace every six months).

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I wonder why that would be. Abrasive, pH? I’ve run my MasterFlex both in push and in pull mode and found no difference in terms of peri tubing deterioration. In fact, the only tubing failure I had was in push mode LOL. My brief dalliance with the versa, the tubing did not seem nearly as robust as the pharmed stuff I use (and replace every six months).
I would think lower ph could be a problem with that particular tubing material. But I agree the tubing seems very “fragile” in comparison with other dosing pumps. Every 6 months is doable. I’m looking at a masterflex and a kamoer right now. I’ll probably ditch the versa. Nothing but problems since day one

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a friend that got a Versa for his CaRx & after going through at least 2, plus multiple tube sets, he finally gave up on it. I gave him a Kamoer Fx-stp I wasn’t using and he hasn’t looked back.

He’s using the Kamoer in a pull configuration, like he wants to & many others recommend.

I find myself wondering- the Versa is a peristaltic pump, supposedly engineered for continuous use. Why should it matter if it is used in a push or a pull configuration? Why doesn’t it just run, for a year+?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think lower ph could be a problem with that particular tubing material. But I agree the tubing seems very “fragile” in comparison with other dosing pumps. Every 6 months is doable. I’m looking at a masterflex and a kamoer right now. I’ll probably ditch the versa. Nothing but problems since day one

I had the versa briefly right as it was released. Got it as a potential replacement for my masterflex, essentially to reduce the footprint; but i quickly concluded it was not quite ready for prime time. I think it has potential, particularly as matures.

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that got a Versa for his CaRx & after going through at least 2, plus multiple tube sets, he finally gave up on it. I gave him a Kamoer Fx-stp I wasn’t using and he hasn’t looked back.

He’s using the Kamoer in a pull configuration, like he wants to & many others recommend.

I find myself wondering- the Versa is a peristaltic pump, supposedly engineered for continuous use. Why should it matter if it is used in a push or a pull configuration? Why doesn’t it just run, for a year+?

I agree. It shouldn’t matter push or pull it should last for a while. Definitely more than 1 month lol. I’ll probably get a kamoer Fx. All the masterflex that I want cost high $$$

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them for an auto water change application. The tube on the clean makeup salt water is still working fine but do need to calibrate every few moths. I did have to replace the tube on my dirty tank water unit. It maybe lasted about 3 months which was surprising as it was just tank water. Flow rate is a constant 7.3 ml/min.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not alone on this, I have a 4 pack versa, used under a year and already replaced 3 tubings from the same pump that Im using to dose kalwasser. Yes I know kalk is high ph but still cant believe that I need to replace this part every 3 to 4 months. Worst part is that with the high ph the plastic bracket of the tubing breaks and the liquid will be all over your floor. Two times the bracket broke and the other the tubing flat out and stop pulling liquid.

The others pumps that are not used for continuous dosing are working fine, but if you’re doing continuous dosing like for CaRx then is when I think that the tubing are not ready for that kind of load.

A lot of people will say that we should regularly replace the tubing but, doing so every 3 - 4 months? For reference I had two Apex DOS system doing the same job the versas are doing now and in two years of use I never had to replace any tubing. Think about that.

OP
OP
Brasileiro561

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not alone on this, I have a 4 pack versa, used under a year and already replaced 3 tubings from the same pump that Im using to dose kalwasser. Yes I know kalk is high ph but still cant believe that I need to replace this part every 3 to 4 months. Worst part is that with the high ph the plastic bracket of the tubing breaks and the liquid will be all over your floor. Two times the bracket broke and the other the tubing flat out and stop pulling liquid.

The others pumps that are not used for continuous dosing are working fine, but if you’re doing continuous dosing like for CaRx then is when I think that the tubing are not ready for that kind of load.

A lot of people will say that we should regularly replace the tubing but, doing so every 3 - 4 months? For reference I had two Apex DOS system doing the same job the versas are doing now and in two years of use I never had to replace any tubing. Think about that.
Wow dude that’s crazy that the bracket is actually breaking. I also have 2 DOS one set for AWC and the other to auto dose alk and cal with the trident. The calcium reactor does the heavy lifting and the dos smooth it out. And they’ve been running for 1 1/2 years and never had any problems with them. Check the calibration every now and then and it’s always spot on.

Big C that’s also surprisingly since you only running 7ml

I’m still talking to Ecotech. I’ll be sharing this thread with them clearly I’m not alone

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself wondering- the Versa is a peristaltic pump, supposedly engineered for continuous use. Why should it matter if it is used in a push or a pull configuration?
It doesn't matter per se to the pump, but the fittings on the pull side can not be push fitting because they will leak under vacuum, and when I say leak I mean leak air into the line. Perhaps this doesn't matter to most but for me in my application it was a huge problem.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing is 8mm X 4.8mm. One can buy PharMed BPT tubing on eBay from Kamoer.
I took the leaking 1st gen hose assembly apart and I don't see any reason why one could not replace the tubing. There is a considerable difference in pump output on the Kamoer between the silicon and PharMed tubing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back