Ecsenius blennys. What is the best?

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard ecsenius blennys (tailspot, bicolor, linear, bimaculatus, combtooth) are good algae eaters.
But which one is the best algae eater?
Which one is the most hardy? Most reef safe? What are your guys experiences with them?
Thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is with small blennys. I currently have a tailspot.

I have never added a blenny for algae control, more so for their personality.

I only know of a few people that had lawn mower blennys that grazed all the time, but never really kept it under control

I personally wouldn’t add one for that purpose

You will be disappointed

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a bicolor and a lawnmower. I’ve always owned lawnmowers, some of the best personalities for sure. I got a lemon of a bicolor. Have had him almost a year and a half and he parks in a hole in my sand next to an overflow, and rarely ventures out which is not the norm he’s just anti social.

I’d go with a lawnmower or starry just for their unique personality. They will graze here and there but you shouldn’t have enough algae long term to buy one for that purpose. Get one for the entertainment they’re fun. My LM just tears up nori on a clip like most of my other fish so he’s fed well [emoji1360]

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bicolor that kept a 6in square patch perfectly clean and also liked to bite the heads off my pipe organ coral.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blenny isn't meant to take care of an algae problem I have. If there's a algae problem, it has to do with nutrients and adding an animal won't fix it.
This blenny is meant for a future frag tank. I want a blenny because snails normally don't go on the egg crates. I'm not interested in lawnmower bennies because they grow bigger so I can't give then enough algae and u also heard they nip at corals.
Thanks for the input tho!

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard ecsenius blennys (tailspot, bicolor, linear, bimaculatus, combtooth) are good algae eaters.
But which one is the best algae eater?
Which one is the most hardy? Most reef safe? What are your guys experiences with them?
Thanks
There are many other animals that could take care of your algae problem. Get a blend of you want one, however, I doubt they would control an algae problem. I used a Sea hair for my algae and it did a great job.

Back