Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by tyler1503, Feb 4, 2015.

Eel care guide!

By tyler1503, Feb 4, 2015 | |
  1. tyler1503

tyler1503 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

Nice looking snowflake by the way :)

2. Redneckreef90

Redneckreef90 Active Member

Ok cool. That what I figured. I had a blue ribbon before a loved it. And thanks I love him he is great.

tyler1503 likes this.
  3. Millhugh718

Millhugh718 Member

thanks for the post. I got a blue ribbon eel :)

tyler1503 likes this.
  4. tyler1503

tyler1503 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

Awesome! Would love to see some photos :)

5. Millhugh718

Millhugh718 Member

need more photo, i just seen a banana eel at local fish store - these go for high dollar :)

6. Scott Peters Sr

Scott Peters Sr Member

This put my mind at ease. great information. I feel much more prepared now. Thanks man!

7. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Got a dwarf golden moray on Tuesday and I still haven't gotten it to eat yet, however I cannot find my banded coral shrimp. Foods I've offered are scallops, shrimp, cod and oysters. It checks out the piece of food in my tongs, does the head shake, hangs out right there usually touching the food or the tongs, then goes back in her cave.

Be102 likes this.
  8. tyler1503

I just reread the entire thread and there was more than a whole page of posts I'd missed. Is anyone still looking for some answers to their questions?

9. tyler1503

This is pretty normal :) An eel may go days or weeks without eating, especially if they are in a new environment. If it gets to two weeks without eating, it's not time to be concerned just yet, but it may be time to try something new. Try small pieces of squid if you can.
    How big is the eel compared to the shrimp?

10. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

The eel is about 8" and the shrimp was maybe 1". Easily snack sized, and I anticipated it happening. The shrimp never left the cave built for the eel.

11. Robin Haselden

Thought I'd add a picture of her.

[​IMG]

Struggler and Be102 like this.
  12. Robin Haselden

Well I'm off to try and find squid out octopus, or both. 8 days and he hasn't eaten yet. That shrimp I thought he ate, is still alive. I just happened to catch it out of the cave the other night when the moon lights were still on. The eel still looks fine, he acts like he's checking out whatever I offer him, just isn't interested.

13. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

A bump for you eel keepers!

14. puks

puks Member

Thank @tyler1503 for the great article.

Have a couple questions:

- You mentioned "Snowflakes and zebras can even be kept with each other with caution if they're are still young when added and added at the same time". I'd like to have both of them in a new 180 gal FOWLR tank. Does it mean I should add them together?

- I usually flush a frozen food in RO water before adding to my another 120 gal community tank to prevent parasites. Don't you do the same and just wash in tap water?

- I like the idea to use PVC pipes hidden under the sand for eels dens. But what to do if eel passes away being in it?

15. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

"I like the idea to use PVC pipes hidden under the sand for eels dens. But what to do if eel passes away being in it? "

Use a shop vac and suck it out. lol

16. puks

puks Member

It means I should be able to move the pipes out.

17. puks

puks Member

What pipe's dimensions do you use?

18. BugXprt

BugXprt Member

Hi, i have a tank with newly purchased Brazillian banana eel and zebra eel. Both are 12 inch. The zebra has hidden and not come out and the banana eel comes out, but niether shower interest in food. Infact the banana eel shakes his head when i get the food to close.. He shows no interest. Ive tried silversides, shrimp, krill, live ghost shrimp, squid. Ive had for 7 days now. I have heard they may take weeks to settle. I'm just worried they will starve and die. They were air shipped from californiato my LFS. Where I picked up same day they came in. Anybody have expertise on this subject.. Should i be worried, to soon.. Water parameters are good. They are not showing any signs of distress.. Also, ive had a zebra eel before; he ate great and never had any issues. This tank really has no fish , just two damsels and two cardinals, so there b is not much food floating around. My other past tank with zebra, had triggers and puffers, lots of food floating around. These eels, aside from live ghost shrimp moving about, i have used a skewer with the fish, etc, on the tip.. Thanks FDDDBAB7-1E93-49FB-8191-F2DA772B5E00.jpeg

lion king likes this.
  19. Robin Haselden

7 days is nothing, I've got a golden dwarf that decided frozen squid(used to go absolutely nuts over) wasn't good anymore. He's refused everything I've offered and I haven't actually fed him since the middle of December. I suspect him of eating a few of my fish, but he's been in a tank by himself for a month now. Still hasn't eaten, still looks healthy.

By the way, eels and skulls are just awesome. This is my Maui.

20180301_194751.jpg

Proof he used to eat.

BugXprt and lion king like this.
  20. lion king

lion king Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I usually settle my eels in with something live. Ghosties might be good, if you can get some big ones. Maybe even a fiddler crab for the zebra. I wouldn't be surprised if the banana didn't take down the cardinals, the damsels are quite evasive but still on the menu. I wouldn't worry about the banana, he'll eat one your fish when he's hungry. If there's some inverts in there for the zebra, he'll find them when he's ready. Then just keep offering them a variety, squid and octopus will make them come out of the tanks.

2 awesome eel tanks, thanks guys

Robin Haselden likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted