Eel questions.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already do have a thread like this, but i figured the title of the old thread is kind of misleading at this point. Eels Im looking at is a blue ribbon and a zebra. Tank is 6foot with 2 200g skimmers

Lets start with questions-

How do I QT? What medications specifically.
How wide does the zebra eel get?
How big PVC pipe?
Aggression between eels?
Compatibility? (look below for list)
Wider or taller aquascape?
Dead only or live only or a hybrid diet?
Do saltwater feeder mollies breed in saltwater?
Copper?

Stocking
Boxfish
foxface
chelmon rostratum
pyramid butterfly trio (Heniochus diphreutes)
pygoplites diacanthus
zebra eel
blue ribbon eel (reportedly never eats fish unless hungry and not fed)
Harlequin tuskfish (im willing to lose a few inverts)
red coris wrasse
2 convict tangs
6 lyretail or sunset anthias (2 males, 4 female.)

Tagging- @lion king

Edit-No toby, idk why its there in the list

Last edited:

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm never one to normally comment on stocking levels of a tank, I personally feel people are overly cautious most of the time.

That said, I think a 6ft tank with all those big fish is pushing the limits big time. You've got a lot of big, active fish in that tank and without adequate space it will lead to problems.

I know you mentioned having 2 skimmers, but I think that's not really the point. The water quality can be perfect but the fish will still most likely be stressed out

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm never one to normally comment on stocking levels of a tank, I personally feel people are overly cautious most of the time.

That said, I think a 6ft tank with all those big fish is pushing the limits big time. You've got a lot of big, active fish in that tank and without adequate space it will lead to problems.

I know you mentioned having 2 skimmers, but I think that's not really the point. The water quality can be perfect but the fish will still most likely be stressed out
What do you recommedn removing? No anthias i guess

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is really set on it and you feel that you can provide a home for it in which it can thrive, grow and live its best life, then yes go for it.

Just remember, that naso is going to be coming out of the ocean and getting put in your glass box. It's life is 100% in your hands and I think that is a very overlooked aspect of this hobby. You need to feel content that you are giving the fish the very best it can get.

If you feel like you can't provide that, leave it for someone else :)

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets have a redo, shall we?
Boxfish
foxface
chelmon rostratum
pygoplites diacanthus
zebra eel
blue ribbon eel (reportedly never eats fish unless hungry and not fed)
Harlequin tuskfish (im willing to lose a few inverts)
Convict tang
Naso tang (will rehome)

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is really set on it and you feel that you can provide a home for it in which it can thrive, grow and live its best life, then yes go for it.

Just remember, that naso is going to be coming out of the ocean and getting put in your glass box. It's life is 100% in your hands and I think that is a very overlooked aspect of this hobby. You need to feel content that you are giving the fish the very best it can get.

If you feel like you can't provide that, leave it for someone else :)
I don't know how to react to that. I guess yes to all of them. I honestly do feel that way.

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo, had a zebra with an aggressive tank for 7ish years before an ice storm took everything out. to answer your questions,

1.) I didn't QT, eels are considered highly disease resistant, I also didn't have a QT tank at the time.

2-3.) I don't think this matters, If you're trying to size PVC for the eel length is going to be your major issue. For anything less than your smallest specimens you're going to need 4'-5' of 1-2" PVC. It's unsightly in my opinion and it traps the eel with only one way in or out with zero room to wiggle or turn. Go with a rockscape in the back. The eel will be happier and your tank will be prettier.

3.) I dunno... conventional wisdom would say those two are different genus but same shape... I'm really not sure other than the ribbon would probably lose and if they did get into a confrontation I don't think it would be drawn out like wrasse chasing and fighting. If the loser survived, it probably wouldn't survive many more.

4.)Compatibility, I agree with @NanoJHB that's a little tight. dropping the anthias would probably be a good move for
multiple reasons. I would also like to very gently mention that you have some delicate fish on that list for someone who is asking basic husbandry questions about size and compatibility. I have no clue what your experience level is, but if you aren't really comfortable it might be a good idea to go real slow and maybe swap out the regal angel and/or the butterflies for a volitans or maybe a couple of other tangs until you get your feet under you?

5.) taller usually preserves more swimming space, which your other fish will need.

6.) I hand feed mine chopped shellfish from whole foods. I think live feeding is probably more about you having fun than strict nutrition.

7-8.) I dunno, and it depends on if you have invertebrates.

Final thought on the subject of invertabrates: you mentioned not caring if the Tusk eats them. That's awesome because zebras are in the family of eels that have crushing molars for crabs and snails rather needle sharp fish catching teeth. That eel will hunt and kill every crawling thing he can find at night. Thus I recommend a couple of turbo snails to help you with the glass. nothing smaller.

Last edited:

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a read through your build thread. Since you're just starting out, I would really recommend you start with that first fish list you posted :

Foxface
clowns
pajama cardinal
naokos wrasse
midas blenny
coral hogfish
regal angelfish
tomini tang

Start with the clowns and slowly build your way up from there. Itll give you a chance to get some experience before throwing a lot of money at expensive fish.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't recommend eels seeing as you're new to the salt water side if things, especially the ribbon eels. They are beautiful but are very challenging to keep long term

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a read through your build thread. Since you're just starting out, I would really recommend you start with that first fish list you posted :

Foxface
clowns
pajama cardinal
naokos wrasse
midas blenny
coral hogfish
regal angelfish
tomini tang

Start with the clowns and slowly build your way up from there. Itll give you a chance to get some experience before throwing a lot of money at expensive fish.
Honestly, my tastes have changed. Those fish dont give me the "feeling" you get. Idk why, humans are strange.
Definitely don't recommend eels seeing as you're new to the salt water side if things, especially the ribbon eels. They are beautiful but are very challenging to keep long term
Im not exactly new. I kept hard to keep fish a lot a couple years back, I just dont know why i didnt add it. Besides, my friend is keeping a blue ribbon eel thats eating frozen and is healthy and is willing to give it to me

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish were you keeping?

And how long has your mate had the eel for?

I'm not trying to be rude, I really just want to give you the best possible advice and guidance

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish were you keeping?

And how long has your mate had the eel for?

I'm not trying to be rude, I really just want to give you the best possible advice and guidance
I was keeping copperbands, leopard wrasses, regals, multibars, Tamarin wrasse, An achilles tangs etc

Hes had the ribbon for 3 years ish

Your not :)

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock

Blue ribbon eel
Pbt
Goldrim tang or Convict Tang
Zebra eel
Boxfish
Regal angelfish
Pyramid butteflyfish
Harlequin Tuskfish.
Scopas tang
Tomini Tang
Heniochus butterflies trio

Any good Ideas. Feels

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my tastes have changed. Those fish dont give me the "feeling" you get. Idk why, humans are strange.

Im not exactly new. I kept hard to keep fish a lot a couple years back, I just dont know why i didnt add it. Besides, my friend is keeping a blue ribbon eel thats eating frozen and is healthy and is willing to give it to me
I was keeping copperbands, leopard wrasses, regals, multibars, Tamarin wrasse, An achilles tangs etc

Hes had the ribbon for 3 years ish

Your not :)

Been following this build journey for a while now, you had said in earlier posts that you are a complete beginner. So when did you keep those fish years back?

---
1676878009309.png

1676878472583.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back