eggcrate and wrasse

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone ever lost a fairy wrasse through eggcrate? I have squammipinnis anthias and a yellow coris wrasse that eggcrate has done a good job of keeping in the tank, was wondering if eggcrate was sufficient for fairy wrasses?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is small enough to fit through the holes, there is always the chance. That being said, it will greatly reduce the chance.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have lost several. I have also lost wrasses through screen netting. The only thing that has kept all of my wrasses in my tank was the clear 1/4" mesh sold by acroholic on here. Great stuff!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have lost several. I have also lost wrasses through screen netting. The only thing that has kept all of my wrasses in my tank was the clear 1/4" mesh sold by acroholic on here. Great stuff!

I agree 100%

There is no substitute for keeping wrasses. 1/4 clear mesh from Acroholic.

001.jpg

007.jpg

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 tanks and they all have the 1/4" clear mesh and window frames to insure no jumpers. Lost two fish before I added the netting and none since.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wrasse but no wrasse jumping yet but before I switched to the mesh screens I had egg crate over the tank and tried 3 times to keep diamond gobies and all of them jumped when the egg crate was on
I have since switched to the 1/2"' black mesh and no jumpers, I used the black cause my tank trim is black and it matches, I was surprised how much light the egg crate was blocking on my tank, it's alot brighter now and also shimmers more from the halides
I was just really surprised it blocked that much light

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HighlandReef, You might want to double up that half inch mesh. The smaller wrasses will still get through. I know first hand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back