Electronic ball valve for CO² scrubber

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen ot of people using solenoids to control their ph.... i decided to try it with an electronic ball valve which did help some. But when the valve is open and drawing fresh air. It does still draw a small amount of air through the scrubber. I just found and set up a 3 way electronic ball valve which will block the flow completely through the scrubber when drawing fresh air. I found this would be easier then having two valves (one goes on when the other goes off) will keep you posted if this works better.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen ot of people using solenoids to control their ph.... i decided to try it with an electronic ball valve which did help some. But when the valve is open and drawing fresh air. It does still draw a small amount of air through the scrubber. I just found and set up a 3 way electronic ball valve which will block the flow completely through the scrubber when drawing fresh air. I found this would be easier then having two valves (one goes on when the other goes off) will keep you posted if this works better.

Which 3-way ball valve did you buy?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a cheap one on amazon thats a 2 wire control and i bought the 24v wires from brs to connect it to my apex. So far it functions as it should but will let it run few days and monitor the graphs.
Link to the 3-way? I've been look for one....

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now it does seem to hold it tighter to the set ranges then just the 2 way valve. I usually see my ph go as low as 8.28-8.3 with a high of 8.37-8 with the 2 way (set to open at 8.35) but without the valve i was getting closer to 8.45 before i would just shut my skimmer off completely until it dropped so i dont know how high it would acttualy go. With the 3 way so far it hasnt exceeded 8.36. The biggest advantage i found so far is still being able fine tune the air flow with an airline ball valve and not have more air flow then the valve is open.

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now it does seem to hold it tighter to the set ranges then just the 2 way valve. I usually see my ph go as low as 8.28-8.3 with a high of 8.37-8 with the 2 way (set to open at 8.35) but without the valve i was getting closer to 8.45 before i would just shut my skimmer off completely until it dropped so i dont know how high it would acttualy go. With the 3 way so far it hasnt exceeded 8.36. The biggest advantage i found so far is still being able fine tune the air flow with an airline ball valve and not have more air flow then the valve is open.

Davisc1293 -​

Did you just buy the Apex 2 wire adapter to wire this up. Im trying to do the same thing as I just figured out the Apex Solenoid doesn't work for this. :(

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Davisc1293 -​

Did you just buy the Apex 2 wire adapter to wire this up. Im trying to do the same thing as I just figured out the Apex Solenoid doesn't work for this. :(
You could either steal a power suply from an old electric device that has similar output but yes i chose to buy the dc24v to bare wire from brs as to not take up an outlet

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could either steal a power suply from an old electric device that has similar output but yes i chose to buy the dc24v to bare wire from brs as to not take up an outlet

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and the link earlier in the feed is the valve you are using correct?

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and the link earlier in the feed is the valve you are using correct?
Yes i believe i got the half inch valve but dont think it would make a difference which one because i ended up needing to get three npt to male barb fitting and attached a small section of tube with another valve (one for the scrubber) and another for ambiant air intake to control the ammount of air flow.

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i believe i got the half inch valve but dont think it would make a difference which one because i ended up needing to get three npt to male barb fitting and attached a small section of tube with another valve (one for the scrubber) and another for ambiant air intake to control the ammount of air flow.
Going to grab the 3/8 since thats the hose size. I have a few of the 3/8 npt to 3/8 male already threaded

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to grab the 3/8 since thats the hose size. I have a few of the 3/8 npt to 3/8 male already threaded
I read somewhere that the 1/2 inch was better for this. Something about the 3/8 valve restricted air flow a considerable amount compared to 3/8 straight line. I can’t recall where it was I read it but I definitely did remember this. I’m sure 3/8 would work though.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that the 1/2 inch was better for this. Something about the 3/8 valve restricted air flow a considerable amount compared to 3/8 straight line. I can’t recall where it was I read it but I definitely did remember this. I’m sure 3/8 would work though.
Good to know as i havent pulled the plug on the valve yet.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily i got the half inch because i only had 2 barb fitting but the 3/8 hose had an od of 1/2 that made an air tight seal around the body of the ball valve itelse and worked until i got a new fitting... best of luck i found it works great i had to set a bit more of a range like if ph<
Good to know as i havent pulled the plug on the valve yet.
It may be good to go with the .5 but in my particular case especially with such a small skimmer i need alot of restriction anyways. Which is why i still needed to use ball valves on the actual intakes. So ild go bigger and have the option to constrict flow as needed with ditional valves i found these pretty cheap on amazon aswell

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back