Elegance Assistance - ECS?

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Have an elegance in my 80g - 6 months old tank. Been in there for 3 months and fine until recently. Over the course of a few weeks it has slowly started to be more and more closed, starting with it closing up more at night and then progressing into the day as well. The tentacles are shorter and the disc is mostly staying curled up. This period does coincide with a dino (LCA,SCA) outbreak and bottomed out Nitrate levels for a period. I did think it was just annoyed because of the state of the tank re fighting dinos and maybe it is but looking for some opinions. There is a soft white substance on the skeleton you can see in the video/images. It has been there a while so not sure if its relevant.

I have some Acans, a torch and GSP which going well. We did lose a Nem a few weeks ago which I have not been able to nail why. 2 clowns, scooter blenny, coral goby, fairy wrasse and flame hawk fish wise and trochus and nasarus snails CUC.

Get fed at least twice a week with Mysis and one a week with Reef Roids. I also feed LPS pellets alternating with Roids.

So state of the tank: (all Hanna checkers)
Salinity: 34.5 stable
PO4: 0.05-0.09
NO3: 5
Mag: 1225 - in progress of dosing up to 1500
Cal: 400 - was 440 previously so watching for a decline
Ph: 7.9-8.1 (diurnal)
Alk: 9

I was running carbon for the dinos but i've removed it. I am dosing waterglass to 3ppm and have a significant amount of diatoms, the tank is quite dirty (inducing a diatom bloom to kill of the dinos).

Yesterday I tuned down the lighting based on reading about ECS and success with lower light. Running s 2 x XR15 Blue on the LPS settings with red, white and green removed. 8hr cycle - just tuned the point intensity down to 50% it was at 100%.

8th May - You can see the front bit really starting to retract. The back bit is about 70% of what the whole thing was previously.
IMG_0806.jpeg

18 May - Discs closed up, i did just feed and the response wasnt super strong. IMG_0874.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of crap growing on the skeleton - the white and purple stuff is soft, i thought the purple was coraline but cant be. I scraped a heap of it off and while i was there found a massive bristleworm living in his base which I removed.

So hopefully that will help, thinking I should do a dip. I have Seachem and TwoLittleFishes.

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you know where it was originated from? Australia, Indo, etc. The reason why I asked is some Elegance from certain area's of the ocean have a tendency to not last even when your doing things right. Australian from my experience seem to be the more hardy.
The bristle worm I would have to say most likely aggravated it. The base skeleton looks relatively thin versus others I have had where much larger. If the worm was in a bored hole Id question if the hole has entered into the root of the tissue. Take caution with the dip to not stress it more with to much chemical versus dip time. I hope it pulls thru. They are one of my favorites.

OP
OP
M

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Aus and i'm pretty certain its a Qld Elegance (Aus). The bristleworm was very deep in there and I had the same thought. Thanks for the reply. I might give it a day or two and see how it progresses.

OP
OP
M

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he's definitely been looking better - except now one end is fully detached from the base. Any thoughts on if its possible to to get him to reattach?

Also one the end that just detached looks to be a brown mass.. hoping not brown jelly? IMG_0936.jpeg

Attachments

• output.mov
    20.4 MB
Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back