Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6179.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG

Hi everyone,
These are some photos of an elegance coral that we got about 3 weeks ago. I'm just looking to see if you think it looks 'normal' :p. It opens up every day under lights and retracts after the lights go out. When direct fed (frozen and Aquaforest AF LPS food) it quickly closes around it and then spreads out again. All of these things seem to be signs of a happy coral but I'd love your expert opinions.
We really want to make sure we are doing everything we can to keep our tank healthy. We have been up and going since mid-November and trying to take things step by step and learn as much as we can as we go.
Thanks all.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s huge ...
but nice !
+1 on lowering lights , they shouldn’t have bubble tip tentacles

not to jump on your thread, but why shouldn’t they bubble? And if they do what does that mean?

I have one in each of my tanks, one has longer tentacles always, the other is sometimes long and sometimes bubbled.
F229FDAF-D8CF-4F96-AF64-53A472008B50.jpeg

6F2DC00D-AED0-4E0B-BA75-7AAC590CF6C7.jpeg

OP
OP
Rangachick

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s huge ...
but nice !
+1 on lowering lights , they shouldn’t have bubble tip tentacles
Thanks for that. I have spent time looking for information about the appearance of the tentacles and couldn't see anything that was definitive. I was worried that the "bubbled" ends were not quite right. I was also looking for information about age vs length of tentacles. I have no idea how old this coral is but it has certainly grown a fair bit since we got it. We have lowered the intensity of the lights and might look at moving it to a more shaded area of the tank - maybe under an overhang. Do I need to worry about it stretching out and scraping itself on the rocks though?
Really appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Rangachick

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to jump on your thread, but why shouldn’t they bubble? And if they do what does that mean?

I have one in each of my tanks, one has longer tentacles always, the other is sometimes long and sometimes bubbled.
F229FDAF-D8CF-4F96-AF64-53A472008B50.jpeg

6F2DC00D-AED0-4E0B-BA75-7AAC590CF6C7.jpeg
They are the tentacles I thought mine should have. Hopefully changing the light intensity helps.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back