Elevated readings on Apex

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right sub forum to post on, feel free to move to correct one if needed. Just got my Apex with Trident in last week from BRS. Everything seems to be running fine except for some of the parameters, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.
6A030250-0383-43A7-A6D8-A23636FFC69A.png

The trident was set up to the initial installation process in Apex. Once set up it ran its first few tests. Alk 8.36, cal 326 mag 1230, I did not get a screen shot but this was pretty close to what I remember. Then after consistently running tests, guessing to calibrate itself, it showed 0 alk and the same readings for the others. I manually retested the alk, still reading 0. So, I grabbed the calibration fluid and started the process. Once done, all readings were matched up to the calibration fluid, +-1. I waited for the next automatic test which was just in a couple of hrs. This is when I got the elevated readings. I had been dosing 2 part ESV for a while now, 1ml alk 2ml cal. I immediately stopped the dosing that night and did my scheduled water change the next day. Hoping that the levels would’ve come down actually climbed up a bit. Tank is a 30l innovative marine AIO, stocking-2 black clowns, 1 bengai cardinal, 1 bi colored blenny, 1 turbo snail, 3 blue legged hermits, coral-1 toxic green hammer, 3 acans, 1 small zoa garden, 1 pulsing xenia, 1 small pink kenya tree, 1 purple stylo (new), 1 RFA. 4 live aquacultured rock from FL, according to LFS, 3 ,now live rocks, that have coraline growing on them. Tank has been running 8 months now, bi weekly water changes, I use Frits RPM pro (blue box).

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the issue with it might be, and I do not know if any of the values are accurate, but only the alk is a concern.

Do you have an alternate kit to test alk?
Yes I do, but I won’t be home for another week and a half as I’m at work. I can see if my wife can help check it out for me. I have Hanna checkers and salifert test kits.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the issue with it might be, and I do not know if any of the values are accurate, but only the alk is a concern.

Do you have an alternate kit to test alk?
Well, I guess the reading is correct. I talked my wife through the Alk. test when I woke up.
B9B594ED-026A-4C15-9A9A-A31717C5256C.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Do you have any of the calibration fluid left? You could always ask her to fill up the Hanna's tube with the calibration fluid and see how it measures for confirmation.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any of the calibration fluid left? You could always ask her to fill up the Hanna's tube with the calibration fluid and see how it measures for confirmation.
Yes I did save the bottle. Would I fill 1 vial with tank water for the first step? Or, would it be ok to use the fluid straight off?

U

User1

View Badges
Yes I did save the bottle. Would I fill 1 vial with tank water for the first step? Or, would it be ok to use the fluid straight off?

Yes. When you run the Hanna check on it treat Neptune's Trident calibration fluid just like the tank water and follow the same test procedure as you would for normal tank water. Instead of tank water we use the left over calibration fluid.

Note: the Trident calibration fluid has a lifespan of only 8 hours once opened according to the FAQ/Documentation. I do not know how accurate that is or if it is tied to interaction with the open air. Just want to note that. However, it may be close and a good test assuming you have the time.

Another option is to buy calibration fluid. I think BRS sells ALK fluid but I've not checked recently.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife checked the calibration fluid in the Hanna checker, it read 0.0

U

User1

View Badges
My wife checked the calibration fluid in the Hanna checker, it read 0.0

Should have had something. Fill vile with calibration fluid to the line. Start the test. Add reagent. Finish the test. More or less all that is done except you are replacing the source water, display tank, with the calibration fluid. Still have to use the reagent, etc.

Bummer. Sorry to waste your time with that test then.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have had something. Fill vile with calibration fluid to the line. Start the test. Add reagent. Finish the test. More or less all that is done except you are replacing the source water, display tank, with the calibration fluid. Still have to use the reagent, etc.

Didn’t know about the reagent part, I’ll have he do it again for me.
It’s all good brother, anything is helpful. I’d rather try everything before giving up

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, retested with the reagent this time. Lol, calibration fluid shows to be 8.3 dkh and this is what she got. Looks fairly close to me
E7276B16-E466-47E6-9606-A227D13B486B.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Didn’t know about the reagent part, I’ll have he do it again for me.
It’s all good brother, anything is helpful. I’d rather try everything before giving up

NP - the reagent is the hanna reagent. Basically you are just swapping out the display tank's water (sample) with the Trident calibration fluid. Everything else in the test is the same from start to the end.

Also forgot to say. If you haven't done so send Neptune a support ticket. Takes 5 minutes and you can do it anywhere. They are closed but sometimes they check over the weekend and will reply. Doesn't hurt.

U

User1

View Badges
Ok, retested with the reagent this time. Lol, calibration fluid shows to be 8.3 dkh and this is what she got. Looks fairly close to me
E7276B16-E466-47E6-9606-A227D13B486B.jpeg

That is better! Super awesome. Not to chase who is right, wrong, etc between the kits but now you could send in a support ticket. Or others may be able to help. If you haven't done so any maybe you said but where are you dosing lines compared to the Tridents water sample pull. Make sure it is out of the way and not near one another.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is better! Super awesome. Not to chase who is right, wrong, etc between the kits but now you could send in a support ticket. Or others may be able to help. If you haven't done so any maybe you said but where are you dosing lines compared to the Tridents water sample pull. Make sure it is out of the way and not near one another.
Dosing lines are opposite of the Trident line. I stopped dosing from the first high reading I got, to see it would come down. It’s real slow but it is coming down. The Apex is a life saver though. I had unplugged my ATO to do my water change and forgot to ply it back in. I noticed a drop in salinity, orp, ph. I work nights so I had to wait till the morning when the wife was awake to check and sure enough it wasn’t plugged in. It’s my fault for not connecting it straight to the apex but the readings is what drew my attention. So, do I still send a report ticket even though the DT water does match between the Hanna and trident?

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and everyone else that is helping me out.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Parameters are still climbing on their own. I’ve tried to do small gallon water changes a day to see if it will bring it down. I’m thinking my only options are to just do a 90% water change. Or do I just leave it be an see if they just start to come down, eventually.
4BB9B3D4-27CF-4FDA-8A47-2ACAB1E84DD3.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if this is the right sub forum to post on, feel free to move to correct one if needed. Just got my Apex with Trident in last week from BRS. Everything seems to be running fine except for some of the parameters, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.
6A030250-0383-43A7-A6D8-A23636FFC69A.png

The trident was set up to the initial installation process in Apex. Once set up it ran its first few tests. Alk 8.36, cal 326 mag 1230, I did not get a screen shot but this was pretty close to what I remember. Then after consistently running tests, guessing to calibrate itself, it showed 0 alk and the same readings for the others. I manually retested the alk, still reading 0. So, I grabbed the calibration fluid and started the process. Once done, all readings were matched up to the calibration fluid, +-1. I waited for the next automatic test which was just in a couple of hrs. This is when I got the elevated readings. I had been dosing 2 part ESV for a while now, 1ml alk 2ml cal. I immediately stopped the dosing that night and did my scheduled water change the next day. Hoping that the levels would’ve come down actually climbed up a bit. Tank is a 30l innovative marine AIO, stocking-2 black clowns, 1 bengai cardinal, 1 bi colored blenny, 1 turbo snail, 3 blue legged hermits, coral-1 toxic green hammer, 3 acans, 1 small zoa garden, 1 pulsing xenia, 1 small pink kenya tree, 1 purple stylo (new), 1 RFA. 4 live aquacultured rock from FL, according to LFS, 3 ,now live rocks, that have coraline growing on them. Tank has been running 8 months now, bi weekly water changes, I use Frits RPM pro (blue box).

My understanding is that the test is only valid after calibration - so what it was initially 'doesn't count'. I would try to recheck your alkalinity with another method? PS - what has your alkalinity been running over the last couple weeks - with whatever method you have used to check it - that might also help to tell whether the Trident is 'right' or not.?

EDIT - I could not see any of the other replies - when I responded for some reason - so I see you have done some of the stuff.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update:
Parameters are still climbing on their own. I’ve tried to do small gallon water changes a day to see if it will bring it down. I’m thinking my only options are to just do a 90% water change. Or do I just leave it be an see if they just start to come down, eventually.
4BB9B3D4-27CF-4FDA-8A47-2ACAB1E84DD3.jpeg
Can you post a graph of your alkalinity and Ca and Mg?
How do the things in your tank look?
Alkalinity can change based on time of day - how close is where you're putting the stuff you're dosing to where the trident is sampling?
Lastly - if your tank looks fine - I would talk to Neptune support tomorrow - and rely on whatever testing you were using before - i.e. dont rush into a 90 percent water change (or anything else 'rash') - but IMHO - the key point is 'how does your tank look'? And confirming the tests with another method (even with a cheap API test) - if the API says your alkalinity is 8 - the trident is probably wrong. for example.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the test is only valid after calibration - so what it was initially 'doesn't count'. I would try to recheck your alkalinity with another method? PS - what has your alkalinity been running over the last couple weeks - with whatever method you have used to check it - that might also help to tell whether the Trident is 'right' or not.?
Alkalinity has been around 13.25-14. Since I’m gone for 2 weeks at a time for work, trident is what I use to monitor. I have a Hanna alk checker that i will test with today now that I’m home.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back