Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time, it’s been a little over 24 hours since I dosed just a little over 3mg. Skimmer off, carbon off. Cloves are all closed up, that’s the good news. Bad news is so are most of my zoas and paly’s. Also my torch and wall hammer are pretty upset. Didn’t open at all today. Branching hammer, encrusting LPS, and all sps doing ok as well as dendros doing ok. Only thing that’s changed is the medication added. What gives? Should I abort mission, or hold fast for another 48 hrs?

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have any issues with my hammer, zoas, and paly at 4mg for 1 wk. I did not have any encrustingLPS in my tank so i cannot comment on that. I also did not have any torch and wall hammer in my tank.
keep a close eye on things. I think the original directions was only for 72 hrs. I let it go longer because that di dnot work for my cloves

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are coming back, even after 1 wk at 4mg/gal. Really sucks!!!!!!!
Next week I plan to rescape the tank (some are my sps are literally growing out the tank). I will make an effort to remove all the infected rocks. Would be tough as i have lots of corals on them. But since i have to rescape, I will make an effort to remove the infected rocks

that's crazy....

do you have more than one strain in the tank or is it all the same?

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take your large snails out. My anemones did great. Aiptasia did great :( My small reproducing snails all did fine. I did have trouble adding large snails back into the system. I think it took me almost a month. It didn’t work the first time so I had to increase dose a little bit. I have tons of rock work absorbing the meds which I think was the reason first round didn’t work. Worked the second time with increased dose but couldn’t add snails till a lot later.

what did you increase your dosage to?

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to measure the small doses. The package I have is 250mg. I'm going to isolate the rock with GSP on it and place it in a 5 gallon tank.

put the 250mg packet into a gallon of water. Then use 1oz of the mix per 2 gallons of tank water to be treated. (its actually 1oz per 1.95 gallons if you want to be exact) don't forget to include sump volume and wherever else water may be. This is assuming a dosage of 1mg per gallon of water to be treated.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my GSP has been RIP'ed since then so thanks for the info guys and good luck with the blue clove polyps!

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you increase your dosage to?
I only have one species in the tank. it is more purple that the blue variety.

so a week ago, i broke my tank down.
Here is a pic before:

the clove polyps were located on the left structure that has the anemone and monti cap. These suckers were coming back even after 1 week at 4mg/gal.
The other pic is after I took everything out. My main reason for breaking it down was to make room for those large SPS colonies in the middle of the tank. They were all the way at the top of the water line.
Since i was rescaping the tank. I took the opportunity to remove all the rocks that i knew had the clove polyps.
The tank is totally stressed now.
Hopefully, this will solve the clove polyp infestation and making more room for the sps to grow.
only time will tell.

2:01:2019.jpeg

2:19.jpeg

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one species in the tank. it is more purple that the blue variety.

so a week ago, i broke my tank down.
Here is a pic before:

the clove polyps were located on the left structure that has the anemone and monti cap. These suckers were coming back even after 1 week at 4mg/gal.
The other pic is after I took everything out. My main reason for breaking it down was to make room for those large SPS colonies in the middle of the tank. They were all the way at the top of the water line.
Since i was rescaping the tank. I took the opportunity to remove all the rocks that i knew had the clove polyps.
The tank is totally stressed now.
Hopefully, this will solve the clove polyp infestation and making more room for the sps to grow.
only time will tell.

2:01:2019.jpeg

2:19.jpeg

When you treated, was the bcp completely uneffected or did it seem to “die” and then just come back?

Also, what’s your clean up crew like? I wonder if adding a bunch of crabs etc at treatment to pick at the stressed/dead remains would help with elimination and help prevent recovery.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were definitely affected as early as 3 days into treatment. It looked completely gone. They just came back about 3-4 weeks later. I did not have much crabs. Just a sally light foot n a few hermits

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of spots come back after I treated and I burned them away with a laser where I could get straight line of sight to them. Then I had a couple of patches sprout in the sandbed, and I used a fine net and scooped them out. It's been several weeks since I've seen any.

jimo12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started yesterday for the 2 time with doubble dossage and black out for 2 days maybe 3 im not sure. Will see

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Going back down this rabbit hole.

Dosed last fall and followed directions to a 't'. It appeared to kill the BCP with nominal effect on everything else. 8 months later they're back and in force.
Treated ~340gal of water with 500mg. So far so good. If this plays out like the first time I'd like to dose again in 4-6 weeks and deliver the coup de grace. Has anyone tried a proactive second round of dosing previously?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back