Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back down this rabbit hole.

Dosed last fall and followed directions to a 't'. It appeared to kill the BCP with nominal effect on everything else. 8 months later they're back and in force.
Treated ~340gal of water with 500mg. So far so good. If this plays out like the first time I'd like to dose again in 4-6 weeks and deliver the coup de grace. Has anyone tried a proactive second round of dosing previously?
Same with me...initially they seemed to be gone but eventually returned. I now have them in two placed. On one I used pickling lime and put a layer over them. That seems to have worked but unfortunately I didn't cover them all. This weekend I'm going to try some aptasia x and see if that does anything.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dosed last fall and followed directions to a 't'. It appeared to kill the BCP with nominal effect on everything else. 8 months later they're back and in force.
Treated ~340gal of water with 500mg. So far so good. If this plays out like the first time I'd like to dose again in 4-6 weeks and deliver the coup de grace. Has anyone tried a proactive second round of dosing previously?

I never did a 2nd dose, it took me months to get the 1st dose out of my tank. The rocks absorbed it and kept releasing it for months. I did massive water changes and used a lot of carbon, didn't help. I used some Xenia as my "canary in a coal mine" test. Since the Fendbenazole also kills Xenia, I kept trying a piece. Once a piece stayed alive, I knew the Fendbenazole was out of the system. Forget how long it took. It's listed somewhere in this post. I'm thinking since it took many months to get the med out of my system, the blue cloves didn't stand a chance if they tried to regrow. I have since used the rocks to start other tanks and no signs of the blue cloves.

I would think doing another dose 4-6 weeks later would be just fine, based on how long the med was in my system.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Forget how long it took. It's listed somewhere in this post. I'm thinking since it took many months to get the med out of my system, the blue cloves didn't stand a chance if they tried to regrow.

I would think doing another dose 4-6 weeks later would be just fine, based on how long the med was in my system.

Yep, having read this thread several times in its entirety I knew the med would remain in the system even after large water changes and running carbon. I'm guessing that after 4-6 weeks any concentration still in the system will be diluted to the point an additional 1mg per gal treatment shouldn't cause any issues. I believe that someone (at some point) had treated 4mg per gal.

So far so good. Started the skimmer up after 72 hours last night. The little suckers look to be on their way out again. No collateral damage to report, reef is mostly zoas, with some shrooms, LPS ( - including chalices, acans, and euphillia) and sps.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not as it hasn't been needed. One treatment killed all of mine and I had thousands!!! I dosed a little stronger than recommended. Good luck.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did a 2nd dose, it took me months to get the 1st dose out of my tank. The rocks absorbed it and kept releasing it for months. I did massive water changes and used a lot of carbon, didn't help. I used some Xenia as my "canary in a coal mine" test. Since the Fendbenazole also kills Xenia, I kept trying a piece. Once a piece stayed alive, I knew the Fendbenazole was out of the system. Forget how long it took. It's listed somewhere in this post. I'm thinking since it took many months to get the med out of my system, the blue cloves didn't stand a chance if they tried to regrow. I have since used the rocks to start other tanks and no signs of the blue cloves.

I had the same issue followed by a massive algae outbreak. Maybe because of the dying cloves.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So far so good, the BCP look all but gone. This time around I went with a stronger dosage, haven't run carbon, but did do a massive water change at the one week mark. So, we'll see.

However, when it rains it pours. I'm seeing a bryopsis outbreak that needs to be checked (no other nuisance algae to report, levels are in check). I have enough Reef Flux (fluconazole) in hand to treat the system. However, its certain the fenbendazole isn't out of the system yet, and likely won't be for some time. Does anyone have experience with running fluconazole while there's still fenbendazole in the system? I've been able to keep the bryopsis somewhat in check with manual removal but I don't feel like I can wait a month or more to begin treatment.

At this point I'm going to have to suspend the second dose of fenbendazole until the bryopsis is in check. At that point I should be able to see if the BCP are coming back.

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it....!!!!!! Cloves gone but snails are stunned? They don’t look like they’re riding but they’re just laying there sideways with half of their stuff hanging out lol. They goners? Or just leave them. Don’t want them all dying at same time..... thanks. Did anyone else experience this ?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

once you used Xenia as your canary in the coal mine and determined it was "safe" what did you want to add that you didn't think was safe until the Fenbendazole was gone?

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should definitely remove snails, it's in my very first post...I think many have reported what you're seeing
Yea. Missed that part. The treatment worked good on the clove polyps so far… It’s only been a two weeks but the snails died and sent my tank in a mini cycle and I lost a few acros and my hammers are not happy. But my fault about snails. It worked great so far.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Fendendazole. Can't wait to try this. I have so much BCP taking over allot of my zoas and around allot of SPS. I was about to frag everything I could and get rid of half of my rock just to get rid of these BCP jerks. Fingers crossed.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Fendendazole. Can't wait to try this. I have so much BCP taking over allot of my zoas and around allot of SPS. I was about to frag everything I could and get rid of half of my rock just to get rid of these BCP jerks. Fingers crossed.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried it twice. Initially they appeared to be gone after a day or two. unfortunately each time they came back after 3-4 months. :-(

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you used Xenia as your canary in the coal mine and determined it was "safe" what did you want to add that you didn't think was safe until the Fenbendazole was gone?
Sorry never received the email alert.
I had rainbow cloves (not as invasive as BCP) and GSP. Even when I thought it was safe the tanks weren't both of them slowly died. Even though I took them out when they didn't look good they didn't survive. Since then I haven't added either back in. Good news is the BCP never came back.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Fendendazole. Can't wait to try this. I have so much BCP taking over allot of my zoas and around allot of SPS. I was about to frag everything I could and get rid of half of my rock just to get rid of these BCP ********. Fingers crossed.
It works for hydroids!! Leathers will die, Xenia will die, pipe organ will die, gsp will die, snails might die.
Here is a link to the killing hydroids with Fendbenazole thread. There is more good info in there https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/here-it-is-fenbendazole-use-against-hydroids.214950/

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this medication at 10x the listed dose, for a 1 hour dip, followed by a good rinse and returning affected pieces to the tank. My goal was to avoid unwanted toxicity to other animals in the tank, which appears to have more or less worked (aside from GSP, but really, who cares?)

Holy crap is this stuff potent. Even after dipping and rinsing, the residual medicine still killed GSP in the tank. Didnt hurt tubipora though, in contrast to the report above. Didnt see any effects on anything else in the tank.

This stuff is magic. Really glad I used it, so glad to be BCP free after years.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! It actually took a couple of days for the GSP in my tank to start to die off and even longer for the hydroids. It wasn’t until after I went through the water change and carbon post dose protocols that everything really started to die. I am sure the meds did their work in those first 48 hrs and it just took a while for everything to catch up.
That’s nice you were able to isolate and dip. In on of the OPs in the hydroids thread the poster mentions flower pot corals. I think there was some translation or regional issue where the pipe organ coral was mixed up with the goniopora. I remember long ago that some tubipora were referred to as flower corals (at least in my LFS). Since they are a soft coral since I THOUGHT they had a close relation to GSP and/or Xenia I bridged the gap. I guess I was wrong. Keep us up to date in whether or not the tubipora survives!
I used this medication at 10x the listed dose, for a 1 hour dip, followed by a good rinse and returning affected pieces to the tank. My goal was to avoid unwanted toxicity to other animals in the tank, which appears to have more or less worked (aside from GSP, but really, who cares?)

Holy crap is this stuff potent. Even after dipping and rinsing, the residual medicine still killed GSP in the tank. Didnt hurt tubipora though, in contrast to the report above. Didnt see any effects on anything else in the tank.

This stuff is magic. Really glad I used it, so glad to be BCP free after years.
ts a

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back