Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have BCP infestation, thinking of trying out the fenbendazole treatment, although I couldn't find Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole in stock anywhere. Anyone here have any spare packets that I can buy? Also initially the recommendation was to leave the skimmer OFF but towards the end, I see people suggesting to leave the skimmer ON to remove the dying matter. What's the consensus here, does the skimmer remove meds or no?

Bioree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying my luck here. Does anyone has extra Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole that they would like to sale? I'm losing the battle with blue cloves and everywhere I looked (online and LFS) these stuffs are sold out. Thanks in advance.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the blue clove taking over my tank. I found some fenbendazole powder on ebay. It's the only powder I could find at 99%.

I will give this a try as soon as I receive my product.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck,
They are hard to come by now
Not sure about the product that is posted above. I am thinking it has been repackaged.
but not sure

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it works!! I’ve got BCP and Digitate hydroids that’s need nuking… would be interested to know what dose you used with the fenben and if you had to up the dosage or frequency when treating the tank.

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fenbendazole, put in 222mg in my 250 gallon tank and after 2 days it did NOTHING
I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions Correctly
If anybody else has something that works let me know

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience using fish bendazole to eliminate blue clove polyps (sympodium):

I visited this thread almost four years ago to help with a GSP takeover. Ultimately, I decided to take the safe route and remove the rock altogether. Now I'm back with a more full reef tank and the possibility of removing the rock from the tank just wasn't feasible. Only this time it was blue sympodium that snuck in undetected on a frag of zoas and quickly took over.

Before dosing the tank I removed my two starfish. I did not remove any other animal. I have a fairly diverse livestock of fish and inverts. No seriously fragile fish but as far as inverts go I have urchins, conchs, RBTAs, RFAs, a few crabs, and what remaining snails I have left that my wrasses haven't killed off. Fortunately, at least in the short term there was no deaths. I also have a diverse collection of coral. Many sps, lps, mushrooms, and zoas. However, no other softies that would be affected by the bendazole. I have not lost a single coral - at least not from the bendazole directly.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL with a display volume of 108 gallons and a sump of 31 gallons. I've always estimated my total water volume to be around 100 - 110 gallons after displacement from rock and sand. With this in mind I used a whole 250mg package of fish bendazole each time I dosed. I purchased this a long time ago before I decided to go a different method. One thing to note is the medicine was expired but it didn't seem to affect it's potency.

20210827_181503.jpg

This was the schedule:

Before treatment: Turn off skimmer, discontinue carbon reactor, turn off UV sterilizer. I kept GFO running.

1st treatment: The day of the first treatment I mixed a 250mg package of bendazole in RO water and dosed the full amount to the tank.

2nd treatment: One week later I performed a water change like normal and afterwards dosed another 250mg packet to the tank. I read another post where they waited two weeks before dosing again but I wanted to hit them again while they were weakened.

3rd treatment: Another week later I performed a large water change and afterwards dosed my final 250mg packet to the tank. Without my UV sterilizer and skimmer online my nutrients are starting to take off. I know growth is slowing because my ALK uptake has slowed. My alkalinity is measuring high as well as nitrates and phosphates. I also see what looks like cyano starting to take hold from my filtration being offline.

I'm going to let it run it's course until my next scheduled water change this weekend. After which I'll bring the skimmer, UV, and carbon back online. I would say it's been a great success. If the sympodium happens to come back I wouldn't hesitate to use this treatment again - if the medicine can be found again.

There's a few pictures that tell the story. The picture before the treatment shows how much the cloves take over and smother everything around them. It killed off a bunch of zoas and started to grow on parts of my acros. The after photos show them all gone. Now the process starts to get all my parameters back in order.

Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_06_14.png
Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_13_05.png
Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_08_40.png

Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_11_37.png

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nkyReef
Your giving me hope

I added another 222ml today, I've read where others on here have doubled dosed with out any bad effects
I'm with you, it's not practical to cut off all the corals and take out the rock for 6 or 8 weeks and like you I have a large cleanup crew to worry about
The fish bendazole is no longer available anywhere, I got the bendazole that I have because there isn't any other option
I'll keep at it for a few more weeks and post results here
If anyone else has used the bendazole like I got, I'd be interested in hearing about there results
My experience using fish bendazole to eliminate blue clove polyps (sympodium):

I visited this thread almost four years ago to help with a GSP takeover. Ultimately, I decided to take the safe route and remove the rock altogether. Now I'm back with a more full reef tank and the possibility of removing the rock from the tank just wasn't feasible. Only this time it was blue sympodium that snuck in undetected on a frag of zoas and quickly took over.

Before dosing the tank I removed my two starfish. I did not remove any other animal. I have a fairly diverse livestock of fish and inverts. No seriously fragile fish but as far as inverts go I have urchins, conchs, RBTAs, RFAs, a few crabs, and what remaining snails I have left that my wrasses haven't killed off. Fortunately, at least in the short term there was no deaths. I also have a diverse collection of coral. Many sps, lps, mushrooms, and zoas. However, no other softies that would be affected by the bendazole. I have not lost a single coral - at least not from the bendazole directly.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL with a display volume of 108 gallons and a sump of 31 gallons. I've always estimated my total water volume to be around 100 - 110 gallons after displacement from rock and sand. With this in mind I used a whole 250mg package of fish bendazole each time I dosed. I purchased this a long time ago before I decided to go a different method. One thing to note is the medicine was expired but it didn't seem to affect it's potency.

20210827_181503.jpg

This was the schedule:

Before treatment: Turn off skimmer, discontinue carbon reactor, turn off UV sterilizer. I kept GFO running.

1st treatment: The day of the first treatment I mixed a 250mg package of bendazole in RO water and dosed the full amount to the tank.

2nd treatment: One week later I performed a water change like normal and afterwards dosed another 250mg packet to the tank. I read another post where they waited two weeks before dosing again but I wanted to hit them again while they were weakened.

3rd treatment: Another week later I performed a large water change and afterwards dosed my final 250mg packet to the tank. Without my UV sterilizer and skimmer online my nutrients are starting to take off. I know growth is slowing because my ALK uptake has slowed. My alkalinity is measuring high as well as nitrates and phosphates. I also see what looks like cyano starting to take hold from my filtration being offline.

I'm going to let it run it's course until my next scheduled water change this weekend. After which I'll bring the skimmer, UV, and carbon back online. I would say it's been a great success. If the sympodium happens to come back I wouldn't hesitate to use this treatment again - if the medicine can be found again.

There's a few pictures that tell the story. The picture before the treatment shows how much the cloves take over and smother everything around them. It killed off a bunch of zoas and started to grow on parts of my acros. The after photos show them all gone. Now the process starts to get all my parameters back in order.

Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_06_14.png
Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_13_05.png
Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_08_40.png

Photo Collage Maker_2021_09_22_07_11_37.png

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nkyReef
Your giving me hope

I added another 222ml today, I've read where others on here have doubled dosed with out any bad effects
I'm with you, it's not practical to cut off all the corals and take out the rock for 6 or 8 weeks and like you I have a large cleanup crew to worry about
The fish bendazole is no longer available anywhere, I got the bendazole that I have because there isn't any other option
I'll keep at it for a few more weeks and post results here
If anyone else has used the bendazole like I got, I'd be interested in hearing about there results

I added a 250mg packet per about 100 gallons so you should be okay with your dose as well. The period I noticed the most improvement was around day 5. Hopefully your efforts have the same results.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid i have to make the same decision. I have been dealing with some BCP in my tank. I ve tried killing them with kalk paste, but that is not working.
I have to take the plunge, but i am very hesitant, but i need to do it.
I have seen and read many different things on this thread and would like to get one concise direction. I have GSP that i will have to move. If understand correctly, my leather, anenome and snails will be fine.
Here is what i am dealing with

IMG_7339.jpg

IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg
I’m taking the jump tomorrow! I’m definitely scared to death

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a lot of reading, I’m going to start tomorrow and I’ll let everyone know how it goes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as you can see you they are destroying my Zoanthids. Thanks to everybody for posting, I learned a lot. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• 06B30558-FAA7-4AC9-820F-AEAFCF08FD25.jpeg
    06B30558-FAA7-4AC9-820F-AEAFCF08FD25.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 48D78376-31FB-4B96-8BD9-4B04B50698D1.jpeg
    48D78376-31FB-4B96-8BD9-4B04B50698D1.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 53

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding you need to do 3 treatments 2 weeks apart
Where did you see that at? I didn’t see that mentioned in the 24 pages I read. I’m still researching before I do it, any help would be appreciated if you could show me where you saw that I would greatly appreciate that so I read more about it

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: 11/1/2021 - just checked and the below link has sold out! they do have a waitlist you can sign-up for.

For those who were looking for the ThomasLabs version of Fenbendazole, Entirely Pets has the 3 pack versions available.

I’m going to start treatment this month as well, hydroids and BCP have taken over!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back