Elos nano?

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about starting up a nano tank, and have been thinking about a smaller Elos setup. That said, I don't see much talk on here about them. Thoughts? Reviews? Thanks.

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one but I find them overpriced. You want me to buy a 20gal, stand, sump, and skimmer for twice as much as I paid for my rimless starphire 100gal including freight from Canada? Nope. I personally think you can find equal quality out there and I'm a big fan of PicO Aquariums for small sized tanks. I have a 15"x15" from them and its excellent.

To me Elos is like carrying everything Apple owns and pre-ordering it after its announced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add this; I am hoping to get something that will allow for a sump, and something that would have a matching stand. I am not a big fan of the all-in-one setups. That was one of the things that made Elos stand out to me.

mclayj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second contacting PicO Aquariums about building a sumped system. Chris is really great to work with and I have had 3 different tanks built by him. Currently he is building a 18"x18"x12" tank with overflow thats ready to be plumbed for a sump for me. I have seen him put together tank/sump combos for others as well

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Elos Mini years ago and really liked it. Purchased it used, and was still a bit pricey IMO, but was a solid aquarium no doubt. The sump worked well too. The stand was okay at best as are all Elos stands IMO. At this point I would certainly have something custom made for about the same price, if not less than the Elos Mini. The size tank really only allows for the smallest of fish long-term, although I did keep mine running as a fish conditioning system for a while after I upgraded to a much larger AGE aquarium. The skimmer was a joke, on a good day ;)

img_5126.jpg

img_5139.jpg

img_5137.jpg

cadlights
Recommending a Cadlights aquarium to someone asking about Elos is like recommending a Kia to someone asking about a Bentley.

oscarcolino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had an elos mini years ago and really liked it. Purchased it used, and was still a bit pricey imo, but was a solid aquarium no doubt. The sump worked well too. The stand was okay at best as are all elos stands imo. At this point i would certainly have something custom made for about the same price, if not less than the elos mini. The size tank really only allows for the smallest of fish long-term, although i did keep mine running as a fish conditioning system for a while after i upgraded to a much larger age aquarium. The skimmer was a joke, on a good day ;)

img_5126.jpg

img_5139.jpg

img_5137.jpg

recommending a cadlights aquarium to someone asking about elos is like recommending a kia to someone asking about a bentley.
. Okay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back