Email password length

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea when we can use long passwords for email?

The german email servers communicating with Gmail is so hit and miss (with way more misses than hits!) - I really would love to be able to use a true email service - problem is they all force passwords longer than 16 characters and Profilux won't accept that.

Without notifications being able to reliably get to me when I'm away - there is little value in having a controller for me.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not possible to use your own email server (not because of the pw length) . The message is always relayed through ghl’s email system. So for example it goes like this:
Profilux -> GHL -> gmail (source account) -> gmail (destination account).
If you set up your own (the one that isn’t working because of the pwd length), it would go like this:
Profilux -> GHL -> own server > gmail
(Instead of Profilux -> own server -> gmail, as I guess you’d like to)

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using my own email server and never indicated I am. Although, if I was this wouldn’t be a problem

I’m well aware of the flow of alerts through the GHL system.

I need the ability to use a password over 16 characters.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not using my own email server and never indicated I am. Although, if I was this wouldn’t be a problem

@Vinny@GHLUSA - can you provide any feedback to this question about passwords?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can’t skip the german servers, even if there were no password length limitation. That’s all I wanted to say.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread (post #10) will show you how to properly setup email notifications with Gmail. Following those steps will also allow you to create a secure 16-digit password assigned by Gmail.

Also make sure your device and Wi-Fi module firmware is up to date.
We are currently on 7.23 for the ProfiLux 4 and 7078 for the Wi-Fi module.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread (post #10) will show you how to properly setup email notifications with Gmail. Following those steps will also allow you to create a secure 16-digit password assigned by Gmail.

Also make sure your device and Wi-Fi module firmware is up to date.
We are currently on 7.23 for the ProfiLux 4 and 7078 for the Wi-Fi module.

All great info that I've followed a few times already - except - it doesn't work.

If I could use a longer password (something EU governements are all hot and bothered about enforcing around the world interestingly enough) - I would be able to use something like Sparkpost or a similar service. This would get me (and many others) away from dependance on the whims of google & their desire to continuously make sending email so difficult.

Using something like sparkpost would also allow me some troubleshooting path - if the password is being rejected, the level of logon encryption insufficient etc - I would be able to see those errors. No attempt at all? I would know that and could accurately report it .

1. Currently at Firmware 7.23 on profilux 4, wifi firmware at 7081

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 6.11.05 AM.png

2. I have 2 FA successfully configured on gmail
Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 5.52.27 AM.png

3. password successfully created - you'll see that the GHL servers are never attempting per gmail telling me the password has never been used.
Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 5.53.41 AM.png

4. test, test, test ,test,test....... - you get the idea - nothing ever shows up. I never get the warning from google that someone or something is trying to use my account.

If I attempt to make a connection to gmail directly from my computer using the account password I setup per the instructions - I get an email from google telling me about it.

That never happens when I'm trying to get ghlconnect to send an alert.

So - where's the problem? I would love to be able to help point to where it may be - but I have no insight - ghlconnect claims it sends, it never shows up - that's all I got.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but I've found that I need to power-cycle my P4 in order for the change in the email settings to take effect (only then can I send test emails & real emails/alerts).

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but I've found that I need to power-cycle my P4 in order for the change in the email settings to take effect.
Thanks - I'll give that a shot.

I did notice that if I try to make a change to the password field via the web interface - the save button does't appear - you have to make some sort of change to one of the other fields for the Save option to light up.

I'll power cycle and see if I see any different behavior.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what works for me. It's a 9char long pwd, with only lower case letters and a couple numbers in it. No 2-factor auth & other fancy stuff, only the "Less secure app access" is turned on in account settings.
I'm using my main google account as the Recipients (so whom the notifications gets sent to, top part of the screenshot below), but created a different gmail account for the P4 to send emails from (lower part of the screenshot below - "my email address & username"). This way I don't have to unsecure my main account (or put its pwd into the p4) & it's not a big deal if the account dedicated for the p4 gets compromised.

p4:
1575116277844.png

gmail settings for the p4 dedicated account:
1575116527658.png

The mail-flow then is like this:

P4 -> GHL german servers -> Gmail p4 dedicated account -> Gmail main account
You can easily use a different provider as the main account (last link in the chain above - so the actual "Recipient", so the address that goes into the "To" field when "Add"ing a new notification), as the gmail p4 dedicated account will easily send messages to that.

1575117459201.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - on December 7th I was notified of the logon attempt (first time I've been alerted during this series of trying to get alerts working) by Google.

I approved it and told it to allow the access - since then. No further attempts by the GHL email servers. :(

Am I the only person in the US having all this trouble getting emails from GHL?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - on December 7th I was notified of the logon attempt (first time I've been alerted during this series of trying to get alerts working) by Google.

I approved it and told it to allow the access - since then. No further attempts by the GHL email servers. :(

Am I the only person in the US having all this trouble getting emails from GHL?
Did you try it the way I’ve wrote?

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than completely setting up a new account and completely disabling the security features - yes.

If the GHL servers were actually TRYING to log in - I might make more changes. At this stage - the GHL servers are the failure point it seems.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than completely setting up a new account and completely disabling the security features - yes.

If the GHL servers were actually TRYING to log in - I might make more changes. At this stage - the GHL servers are the failure point it seems.
I’d say - at least as an experiment - set up a new gmail account that’s dedicated for sending emails FROM the profilux, unsecure that account, just as I’ve wrote above. You then still can have your normal email address as the recepient of the alerts. So basicly the unsecure new account will be sending alerts for your secure normal account.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after setting up a completely brand new from scratch gmail address I finally was able to get this working and am receiving email alerts!

Thank you gentlemen for offering assistance through my frustration!

I'm still eagerly awaiting a longer password capability so I can get away from gmail (or other consumer based email junk) and utilize an actual service for the GHL email servers to send through.

Thanks Again! Now on to level sensors and ATO pump programming!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back