EMERGENCY Harptail blenny in QT laying on ground

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230109_154550844.jpg

I have an ORA Harptail blenny in prophylactic QT that looks like it is almost dead. Seachem badge shows no ammonia, nitrates tested at 6.8 last night via Hannah colorimeter. Slowly raised copper to 2.5 over the span of about 10 days and we are on day 9 of copper. Last night I added my third dose of metroplex as directed (2 even scoops for 20 gallons). Three other fish look fine. He was looking as good as ever last night. What do i do?

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is at 2.55

I have 3 other fish in the tank. All are looking fine today. Should I pull him out and put him in a bucket with new reef water? Or will the copper change shock him?

He was delivered on 12/21 so what is that? 10 days to get copper from 1.0 on the 21st to 2.5 on the 1st of January?

He arrived very late in the day from fedex and I heard the driver toss the box on the ground. The fish was upside down and moving backwards when I opened the box but seemed to make a recovery. He has breathed rapidly off and on but had seemed fine recently.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
PXL_20230109_154550844.jpg

I have an ORA Harptail blenny in prophylactic QT that looks like it is almost dead. Seachem badge shows no ammonia, nitrates tested at 6.8 last night via Hannah colorimeter. Slowly raised copper to 2.5 over the span of about 10 days and we are on day 9 of copper. Last night I added my third dose of metroplex as directed (2 even scoops for 20 gallons). Three other fish look fine. He was looking as good as ever last night. What do i do?
ramping the copper as the not the best thing as you want to reach level (2.25-2.5) within 24-36 hours. If there is any variance with copper test, can be higher than you see but nevertheless, this fish appears to be moribund which is similar to comatose state and May or not make it.
Its obviously not eating.
Is it breathing normal or labored?
The belly also seems semi-bloated which may indicate internal issue or constipation.
The prognosis is dim- hope for the best, but expect the worse

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ramping the copper as the not the best thing as you want to reach level (2.25-2.5) within 24-36 hours. If there is any variance with copper test, can be higher than you see but nevertheless, this fish appears to be moribund which is similar to comatose state and May or not make it.
The belly also seems semi-bloated which may indicate internal issue or constipation.
At this point I'm expecting the worst within hours. He is breathing rapidly. I have seen you mention not to ramp but was following the @Humblefish protocols as best as I can with shift work. Wife says he was eating and swimming fine yesterday.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is breathing rapidly. He had seem to be eating a ton. I thought that is why he seemed fat. But now he does look bloated. I had noticed poop hanging in the past but wasn't sure if it exactly qualified as stringy and it was not white.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He is breathing rapidly. He had seem to be eating a ton. I thought that is why he seemed fat. But now he does look bloated. I had noticed poop hanging in the past but wasn't sure if it exactly qualified as stringy and it was not white.
The poop will have excess mucus if an issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hard to tell with a wrasse - since they sometimes lay down. The rapid breathing and appearance - I agree with the rest - along with the other history (the shipping, etc) suggest significant problems - and nearly a moribund condition. Curious - did you match salinities? Do you have ammonia levels, an airstone, etc in your QT tank? Any other sick fish?

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell with a wrasse - since they sometimes lay down. The rapid breathing and appearance - I agree with the rest - along with the other history (the shipping, etc) suggest significant problems - and nearly a moribund condition. Curious - did you match salinities? Do you have ammonia levels, an airstone, etc in your QT tank? Any other sick fish?
I did match salinities. I am using a 3 seeded sponges that have been running in my sump for a year. Seachem badge has never indicated ammonia presence, I have been doing 25% water changes 3 times a week to help keep nitrates down and showed nitrates at 6.8 last night after 72 hours of no water changes. There is a 4" puck airstone running on high, a Sicce nano 1000 power head and an aquaclear 70. Should have ample oxygen exchange. There are no other fish that are acting sick or breathing rapidly. The neon goby is fat but he definitely doesn't look bloated.

And this guy is a fang blenny. He typically swims more than any other fish.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what the others have said. Additionally, I've found that blennies and wrasses often benefit from having a bowl of sand in which they can burrow in the QT. That helps reduce stress on the fish. But, may be too late to benefit you now.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what the others have said. Additionally, I've found that blennies and wrasses often benefit from having a bowl of sand in which they can burrow in the QT. That helps reduce stress on the fish. But, may be too late to benefit you now.
There is a small container filled with sand in the QT. The neon sometimes sits on it but none of the other 3 appear to touch it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not notice in your OP that you added metroplex - Can I ask 'why'? i.e. which protocol were you using? Some fish tolerate it fine others do not. Since (at least according to my reading of your post) - the fish was doing 'fine' until after you added metroplex - I would wonder about that possibility as well?

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice in your OP that you added metroplex - Can I ask 'why'? i.e. which protocol were you using? Some fish tolerate it fine others do not. Since (at least according to my reading of your post) - the fish was doing 'fine' until after you added metroplex - I would wonder about that possibility as well?
I have been following the protocol from humble fish's website.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/quarantine.2/

This was the third dose. I dosed on the 4th, 6th, and 8th

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been following the protocol from humble fish's website.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/quarantine.2/

This was the third dose. I dosed on the 4th, 6th, and 8th
Thanks - Don't want to debate another person's protocol - but IMHO - there are a couple things in there that do not follow the protocol here. I personally would avoid (unless there is actual illness) - the use of 2 medications together as a general comment. One thing Humblefish mentions is that there is a different dose depending on the metronidazole you're using. If you're using 'pure' metronidazole - there is one dose. If you're using Metroplex - its a different dose. It's also extremely important (since you can't follow levels) - to know exactly the volume of water in your tank (including your PVC pipe, heater, running filters etc. For Example I would to add to a 20 gallon tank - whatever I was going to use in the tank. Then add the exact amount of water let's say 17.5 gallons. Now you know exactly how much to dose per liter or gallon or whatever. EDIT - FWIW - I was agreeing with Humblefish that the type of metronidazole used with regards to dose and toxicity is important.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - Don't want to debate another person's protocol - but IMHO - there are a couple things in there that do not follow the protocol here. I personally would avoid (unless there is actual illness) - the use of 2 medications together as a general comment. One thing Humblefish mentions is that there is a different dose depending on the metronidazole you're using. If you're using 'pure' metronidazole - there is one dose. If you're using Metroplex - its a different dose. It's also extremely important (since you can't follow levels) - to know exactly the volume of water in your tank (including your PVC pipe, heater, running filters etc. For Example I would to add to a 20 gallon tank - whatever I was going to use in the tank. Then add the exact amount of water let's say 17.5 gallons. Now you know exactly how much to dose per liter or gallon or whatever. EDIT - FWIW - I was agreeing with Humblefish that the type of metronidazole used with regards to dose and toxicity is important.
All of that being said, would you recommend doing a water change to cut the dosage of metronidazole in the water?

If necessary to dose with that I can pick that back up after I have removed the copper at the end of the 30 days.

I know this hobby is very delicate and there are so many varying answers. But it's still discouraging when you work so hard to do everything "right".

Is this "the protocol here" that you are referencing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - according to Humblefish, "Otherwise follow the maximum dosing instructions for whatever product (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) you are using." https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...chem-MetroPlex-should-I-buy-to-treat-my-tank-
Note if you look at the link in the quote from Humblefish - it's different than the link provided. Why - I don't know.
Are those maybe different forms of the medication? I'm using the powder form which seems to match the instructions from the humblefish link. That says to use 1-2 scoops per 10 gallons. My container says to use 1 scoop per 10 gallons. I used 2 total scoops. So even if I am lower than the 20 gallons that I am calculating on, that is almost half the dosage of the website. So I hope that I am nowhere close to toxic levels.

I am inexperienced, but I feel like this is probably a combo of the stress of the two meds together combined with the trauma from bad shipping.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of that being said, would you recommend doing a water change to cut the dosage of metronidazole in the water?

If necessary to dose with that I can pick that back up after I have removed the copper at the end of the 30 days.

I know this hobby is very delicate and there are so many varying answers. But it's still discouraging when you work so hard to do everything "right".

Is this "the protocol here" that you are referencing?

I don't want to imply you did anything 'wrong'. I was just saying that when a fish is doing poorly - one has to look at the things that MIGHT have gone wrong. I don't personally use the protocol from Humblefish - but - that doesn't mean I think you made a mistake of some kind.

And yes - the current 2022 protocol is the one that most people recommend here.

And Yes - A water change is not going to hurt. I don't know what you want to do with your copper.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to imply you did anything 'wrong'. I was just saying that when a fish is doing poorly - one has to look at the things that MIGHT have gone wrong. I don't personally use the protocol from Humblefish - but - that doesn't mean I think you made a mistake of some kind.

And yes - the current 2022 protocol is the one that most people recommend here.

And Yes - A water change is not going to hurt. I don't know what you want to do with your copper.
I didn't think you were saying I did anything wrong. And I really appreciate your efforts and time I understand the sensitive nature of this hobby. I was just unnecessarily vocalizing some discouragement on my part.

I will look more into that protocol once I get past this issue.

My instinct says to do a water change and pre-dose the new water as normal with copper to keep from dropping below my prophylactic level.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back