Encrusting and branching sps on the same rock

QBLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! First thread post so not sure if I’m posting in the right section.

I tried to look for information on this but haven’t seen any. Does anyone put their encrusting sps on the same rock as a branching one. So example an encrusting sps with a branching acropora on the same rock. Would the encrusting sps slowly cover the branching acro? I know some would say to frag it so it doesn’t get near them. But would they know they are next to each other and just encrust around the acro?

If not, what about the empty space between these acros? What do you guys have? I heard zoas are okay if they aren’t to close.

Looking for ideas. Thanks for the opinions and help.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you would want to keep encrusting corals a distance from branching.

Zoanthids and palythoas may cause shading and or crowding.

Last edited:

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its kinda of a trail and error to see whats going to happen... its different for every tank. I have seen branching acros kill back encrusting monti but I have also see the opposite... just like I have seen zoas and branching acros together without issues but then again I have seen them grow right up a staghorn branch...

I personally like the look of overgrowth and usually test the waters to see the damage or no damage for that matter that may happen cause you just never know to a point.. looks more natural also when things are just growing how they would on a reef.

OP
OP
QBLife

QBLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. Got no room for them so I was thinking of using them for empty spaces while the acro grows out. I’m also with @Reefer40b i like the idea of a grow out and to make it look natural as it can be. Guess I’ll test the waters and keep a good eye on them.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the individual corals. I have a rock with 2 acros close to an encrusting rainbow monti and eventually they began to touch but the acro stung back the monti, and now neither grow in the direction towards each other.

OP
OP
QBLife

QBLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the individual corals. I have a rock with 2 acros close to an encrusting rainbow monti and eventually they began to touch but the acro stung back the monti, and now neither grow in the direction towards each other.
Yeah I was hoping that might happen. Let nature takes it course and stop them from growing onto one another and around or the other directions

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back