Epoxy resin

TheAngryReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is epoxy resin safe in our aquariums? Is there a certain brand or type that is safe? I see a lot of cool resin projects done. It would be interesting to know if we could use this inside of our aquariums safely.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well.

I would suggest searching thru our diy forum. I have not seen anyone making their own decorations other than rock. I have seen it, just not sure who to point you to for help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think of resin ornaments that are safe. I would tend to think it would be.
I would take a look at the ingredients being used to make resin

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dimik any thoughts?
Yeah I don't see a reason why this wouldn't be reef safe. Epoxy resin is plastic. Plastic is generally "safe" for marine tanks.

Like others said make sure there are no metal elements in the mixture. I would look into epoxy used for marine applications. I would also wait longer than the 72 hour full cure time. Giving it at least a week & then emerging it under salt water in a separate vat for a week to make sure anything that might leach off does so away from your fish/coral.

If I was to use one it would be this https://www.superepoxysystems.com/liquid-glass-epoxy/ because they studied their product and it emits zero VOC's.. BUT message them and ask if their mixture has trace metal elements because you're using it for fish tank application.

ALSO, mica pigments might contain metals so don't use those if it's for a reef tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back