Eppulete Shark tank mates?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been planning a 5 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank to house a eppulete shark for 3 years (updrade after that) and was curious about tank mates as I've read all I can find online and everything is conflicting what do you guys think of the following tank mates
1. Snowflake eel
2. Porcupine puffer
3. Lionfish
4. Blue / purple tang
5. Cleaner wrasse
6. Copperband butterfly fish
7. A few sturdy coral frags (nothing that has a strong sting)

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Porcupine Puffer is definitely a NO! He will eat the sharks eyes out.
Not positive on the copperband butterfly but some will pick on the shark as well.
Coral wise it’s more of the issue with the shark nocking them over and possibly getting scratched by the coral skeleton.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Porcupine Puffer is definitely a NO! He will eat the sharks eyes out.
Not positive on the copperband butterfly but some will pick on the shark as well.
Coral wise it’s more of the issue with the shark nocking them over and possibly getting scratched by the coral skeleton.
Would the puffer even go for the shark if I got it when the shark was bigger? And any recommendations on coral?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s a size issue as it’s just what puffers do. I know I’m bummed as well as I want a dogface and porcupine puffer myself and every shark owner I’ve talked to screamed NOOOO!!!!
As for corals I’d say leathers, mushrooms, zoa’s, poly’s, etc.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s a size issue as it’s just what puffers do. I know I’m bummed as well as I want a dogface and porcupine puffer myself and every shark owner I’ve talked to screamed NOOOO!!!!
As for corals I’d say leathers, mushrooms, zoa’s, poly’s, etc.
Ok cool thank you, any hard corals that would be okay?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool thank you, any hard corals that would be okay?
I honestly don’t know, truly I don’t think the corals would hurt them it’s more of the skeletons so I would think LPS like hammers, frog spawn, torches etc would be ok. @dantimdad whats your experience been oh shark lord lol

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not keep any hard corals near my sharks and won't with the pool in the store.

Sharks in captivity are prone to scratches on their undersides and then infections from that. I am not saying it will happen if you keep stonies, I just figured it was the point of the tank to see the sharks anyway so why risk scratches? The only reason I kept a few softies was to add some color.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers are a definite no, and I'd also not risk the butterfly. Snowflake eel might be okay, although sketchy during feeding time as their eyesight is bad. Feed them on opposite sides of the tank to reduce feeding related injuries. Epaulette's don't really move much they are referred to as the walking shark. I'd go for only soft corals as mentioned above. Lionfish can also sting the shark especially during feeding time, and cleaner wrasses are very aggressive cleaners, I'd go with a cleaner goby instead. I'd introduce the shark to the tank first to let him get comfortable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back