Erin O's 75G Build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights. Why do they have to be so difficult and so darn expensive? Would plant grow lights work? I was looking on Amazon and typed in "T5 lights" thinking that would get me to the right lights but they were mostly for growing house plants. Would LED lights work as well as fluorescents?

Also, are anemones harder to keep than softies? It's my understanding that they are not the same thing, correct?
The box lights like @sfin52 mentioned are what I use on my 45 gallon tank and they work excellent for all corals and anemones. Anemones are in some way similar to soft corals (no skeleton) but they can and will move around, especially if they are unhappy with lighting or flow. They can also attack and kill corals. Only Euphyllia corals are able to fight back typically. I have two anemones and several LPS.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, anemones can split. I just had this happen
A7281E8B-8427-45C3-9EFD-777A94BF35B5.jpeg

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct yes lights are expensive. But there are alternatives.
you'll need two
2 168 watt for a 75

Do the lights that I choose have to hang? Can they sit on the tank like my Finnex?

Another thing, anemones can split. I just had this happen
A7281E8B-8427-45C3-9EFD-777A94BF35B5.jpeg

I was thinking about having mostly anemones with maybe some softies. I don't know if that would be a wise way to go, but I can see it in my head and I like the way it looks lol

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black box lights were from SB Reeflights and they sit on my aquarium like you want. You can see the brackets in the photo (sorry for the foot, LOL) I believe Reefbreeders Photon LEDs have brackets too. Both are fairly affordable.
0F86F38B-B6CC-41D8-9991-9BAADDFD057C.jpeg

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black box lights were from SB Reeflights and they sit on my aquarium like you want. You can see the brackets in the photo (sorry for the foot, LOL) I believe Reefbreeders Photon LEDs have brackets too. Both are fairly affordable.
I like the sbreef lights and the noopsyche. I am going to order some new AI lights and try them soon because they look nice
I'll take a look at those. Thanks! :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some sexy toes

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH!!! Note to self... when looking up CUC, make sure the 6 year old is IN ANOTHER ROOM!!! Or out of the house altogether. I was looking at the crabs on Live Aquaria and she has decided that we need them ALLLLLL! Then she decided that she wants all the shrimp too. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that some of these critters won't be a good fit for our tank :rolleyes: ;Hilarious. So she wanted me to ask you guys, since you, and I quote, "Know what you're doing and mommy doesn't." Thanks kid LOL

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her we recommend to start with nerite, cerith, and nassirus (spelled wrong most likely) snails.

After they are doing fine add an emerald crab or two. When those are good a cleaner shrimp would be great. After that perhaps a blood red fire shrimp. Perhaps 6 months after that the more fancy ones.

Don't add peppermint shrimp or coral banded shrimp. Peps may disturb/munch your zoas and coral banded are too aggressive to other shrimp for me.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halloween hermits, blue legged and red legged hermits are good to add early. They are easy to spot feed. They add some cool factor for the 21yr old.

Further down the road a tiger sand conch

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back