Escape Artist

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share a happy event that I experienced this morning:

Missing snowflake Eel mystery solved:

Synopsis: I purchased a snowflake eel on Feb 21st form our LFS. I took him home and aclimated him for 45 minutes then added him to my tank; he settled in pretty good and found several good nooks and crannies to hide in and looked happy before going to bed. I did my research and knew that snowflakes were escape artists, but I just took it with a grain of salt. My tank has two 8 x 14" access ports on top and I have power head cord and Kessil goose neck brackets that prevent my covers from completely sealing the escape route. I had planned on cutting the notches in the acrylic covers the next day; however, the eel had disappeared by the next morning. I didn't know if he was buried in the sand or rock or if he was in the house somewhere. I couldn't find him anywhere. I thought if he got to the floor, then the cat probably ate him, or if he was in the tank then I was expecting the nitrates and phosphates to spike or maybe the snails and crabs would be congregating around a feast. There was no evidence anywhere that the eel had even existed in the tank; it was a complete mystery.

Happy ending: Last night I pruned my chaetomorpha back which provided a good view of the refugium; This morning when I checked the sump area, low and behold, the Eel's head was poking out a hole in the rubble rock. What a pleasant surprise. Not sure if he ate my crabs or snails or if he was just really hungry, but he ate a whole silver side minnow. I'm not exactly sure how he got down there, but the only way down is via the overflow down through an inch and 1/4 durso stand pipe, into a filter sock, through the first stage of the sump with the skimmer, and into the second stage, and finally into the rubble rock hidden by chaetomorpha.

I'll post some pictures of the escape route when I get home tonight.

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SFE I had one I named the Kessel escapee. Why that sucker I bet could have gotten out of the Kessel mines in the Star Wars Books like it was nothing. Why do I say that. I had my entire tank covered with 1/4 inch hole sized Egg crate weighed down with 5 lbs of blocks of clear plastic. My overflows where capped with mesh caps and this sucker still somehow managed to get into my sump not just once but 5 different times in less than 2 months.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SFE I had one I named the Kessel escapee. Why that sucker I bet could have gotten out of the Kessel mines in the Star Wars Books like it was nothing. Why do I say that. I had my entire tank covered with 1/4 inch hole sized Egg crate weighed down with 5 lbs of blocks of clear plastic. My overflows where capped with mesh caps and this sucker still somehow managed to get into my sump not just once but 5 different times in less than 2 months.

Wow that is amazing. I guess I did leave an escape route; I guess I should add a filter cap to my durso stand pipe. Maybe I'll leave him in the sump until I can fatten him up some. It didn't look like he was small enough, but he may have squeezed through the overflow teeth.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is amazing. I guess I did leave an escape route; I guess I should add a filter cap to my durso stand pipe. Maybe I'll leave him in the sump until I can fatten him up some. It didn't look like he was small enough, but he may have squeezed through the overflow teeth.
Mine did, straight through the teeth. Here's my solution:
Plastic gutter guard and zip ties, still allows drainage without much blockage.
image.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back